Page 364 of 386 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364365366367368374 ... LastLast
Results 5,446 to 5,460 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    He wasn’t white washed. Henry Zaga isn’t WHITE. Go ahead. Say he should have been darker. But he’s not White.
    lol Uh yes he is. Other people have pointed this out, his own countrymen states hes white why is being 1/4 indigenous enough to disqualify someone from being white but having half your ancestry be from African ancestrynot enough to make someone Black? That math doesn't add up
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    At least IMDB says his mother is of indigenous Brazilian ancestry. That could be farther back, like with Blu Hunt and it's not fair to say if they do or don't look dark enough.
    A former coworker of mine married someone who is member of a California tribe and now lives on a reservation and if I showed you a picture of their kids, there would be the common response that they aren't "dark" enough or don't look right for Dani. Her daughter has light brown hair and very fair skin.
    People who claim 1 or 2 of some ethnic DNA and can pass as white shouldn't be seen Authentic when playin minority characters Perhaps I'm a lil more critical of the whitewashing ....have you bread the 1920s novel Passing (Neela Larson)? Where mixed race black kids who could pass as white try to navigate the extremely rigid and exclusive white society of the time. Well my dad and a few of his siblings pretty much lived the less dramatic parts of the bookMy Irish grandfather and Black/Creek Indian grandma had 12 kids some looked mixed and a few (like my Dad) looked pretty much white.which was (I think) my grandma's goal Thus my dad and his brother and sister went to a whites only school till graduation, they lived with their dad's sister enjoyed going to resteraunts shops pretty much unmolested. something happened (I guess) and he stopped passing.Even tho he's black racially he wasn't black socially until his adult life I still wouldn't consider him an expert or representative of the avg black experience
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    For Roberto, pre-production for this movie was going on for years. Maisie and Anya's casting was announced over a year and a half before filming started. They had time to develop talent for the role and create opportunities by identifying Afro-Brazilian actors and then putting in the word for them in some other English-speaking roles if they didn't think they had enough experience.

Maybe casting someone who looked perfect for the role wouldn't have been an option since there are issues with language and lack of opportunities in smaller films or tv series. But what studios need to do is have a broader approach in talent development. If they need actors right for the roles, don't just look at whose available but develop talent.
    Hmmm how many black.. brown...Asian actors did they audition for the broke of Magik? Wolfsbane? Sam? But anyway Brazil has the biggest black pop. Outside of Africa sooo finding one good actor that spoke English doesn't seen that hard+He coulda cast a BLACK ACTOR of ANY. NATIONALITY and it woulda been fine

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I haven’t seen the movie (not tryna die) so I don’t know the context, but I do feel like that’s a weird character choice for Illyana. You can have a character be rude or abrasive without being racist. I’m much more willing to forgive someone who generally has a bad attitude than someone who is blatantly racist towards me. There’s no way I could befriend them after that
    There's no way Illyana woulda left that conversation with her teeth if she'd been talking to the real HBIC Dani
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Except it's not just name calling, it's a racist insult. Illyana being ok with making racist insults rather being racist isn't that much of an improvement and speaks badly for the character. They can make a "Mean girl" without adding that to drag down Illyana, her very first appearance in film. For example, Lizzie Saltzman in Legacies. Abrasive, uncaring, a bully akin to Regina George except if she was a witch. She's a complex mess of a human being but one thing she won't do is use racist insults. That's a line she won't cross. Even Regina herself didn't do that. But Illyana will in this movie.
    Craaaaazy U agree lol

EDIT: The AMAZING Novel Passing us being made into a movie with the most appropriate casting for the 2 main characters (Tessa Thompson and Ruth Negga)
    Last edited by BroHomo; 08-29-2020 at 02:03 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Except it's not just name calling, it's a racist insult. Illyana being ok with making racist insults rather being racist isn't that much of an improvement and speaks badly for the character. They can make a "Mean girl" without adding that to drag down Illyana, her very first appearance in film. For example, Lizzie Saltzman in Legacies. Abrasive, uncaring, a bully akin to Regina George except if she was a witch. She's a complex mess of a human being but one thing she won't do is use racist insults. That's a line she won't cross. Even Regina herself didn't do that. But Illyana will in this movie.
    Who cares about mean girl representation in watered down TV shows? In the real world, no one cares. Don't get caught up in the outrage mob, it won't age well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Who cares about mean girl representation in watered down TV shows? In the real world, no one cares. Don't get caught up in the outrage mob, it won't age well.
    "Mean Girls" are a form of bullying, I'm really not ok with bullying. Lots of people care about bullying in the real world. The point is that what Illyana was doing wasn't being a "Mean Girl," she was being racist.

I don't know, being against racism and bullying appears to be a timeless quality.

$750k on thurs night screenings. Keep in mind only 60% of movies are open right now.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/new-mut...us-1203025795/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Dude here to
    Bobby was still brown tho and Magma was in that story as well

I meeeeean did he??

How is that better?
    Josh Boone has sounded exceptionally ignorant when talking about his casting of Roberto. And how does he not know about the racism in Brazil????? That means he didn’t really dig into what’s quite a serious issue.

Extraordinary Member

"Mean Girls" are a form of bullying, I'm really not ok with bullying. Lots of people care about bullying in the real world. The point is that what Illyana was doing wasn't being a "Mean Girl," she was being racist.

I don't know, being against racism and bullying appears to be a timeless quality.
    I never said people should be not be against racism and bullying. I am saying it is not unreasonable that Dani would be able to form an opinion about Illyana that is not limited that interaction.

Amazing Member

Regina didn’t have to use racist insults because the whole cast is white, and the one person she talks to who isn’t, she tells them to shave their back.

She also is super homophobic so not like racism isn’t a step away lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I never said people should be not be against racism and bullying. I am saying it is not unreasonable that Dani would be able to form an opinion about Illyana that is not limited that interaction.
    Downplaying "Mean Girls" as not being a problem is, in fact, dismissing bullying in the real world. But Dani would naturally be inclined to think Illyana was racist from what she said, because she's not stupid. That's launching a nuke in a conversation, and something that may hurt Illyana from the mainstream audience now since people are going to assume she's racist. For absolutely no reason since simply "Mena Girl" bullying will get the idea across that she's not a nice person.

Extraordinary Member

Downplaying "Mean Girls" as not being a problem is, in fact, dismissing bullying in the real world. But Dani would naturally be inclined to think Illyana was racist from what she said, because she's not stupid. That's launching a nuke in a conversation, and something that may hurt Illyana from the mainstream audience now since people are going to assume she's racist. For absolutely no reason since simply "Mena Girl" bullying will get the idea across that she's not a nice person.
    I never downplayed "Mean Girls" or whatever you think the problem is. You brought it up for some reason, I said I did not care about whatever TV show you were talking about.

And you keep ignoring my point that Dani and Illyana interact far more beyond that one remark, just as the audience will see a character develop throughout the entire movie beyond that one scene.

Oh man, I think I might not come back to the X-Boards anytime soon. Everyone is sooo heated toward each other. lmaooo Ya'll have a good one, peace.
    Last edited by AtheistInRed; 08-29-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Friday estimate is $3.1 million! This is the most a single movie has made at the domestic box office since March 14th (Onward had 4.6 M)
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 08-29-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol Uh yes he is. Other people have pointed this out, his own countrymen states hes white why is being 1/4 indigenous enough to disqualify someone from being white but having half your ancestry be from African ancestrynot enough to make someone Black? That math doesn't add up

People who claim 1 or 2 of some ethnic DNA and can pass as white shouldn't be seen Authentic when playin minority characters Perhaps I'm a lil more critical of the whitewashing ....have you bread the 1920s novel Passing (Neela Larson)? Where mixed race black kids who could pass as white try to navigate the extremely rigid and exclusive white society of the time. Well my dad and a few of his siblings pretty much lived the less dramatic parts of the bookMy Irish grandfather and Black/Creek Indian grandma had 12 kids some looked mixed and a few (like my Dad) looked pretty much white.which was (I think) my grandma's goal Thus my dad and his brother and sister went to a whites only school till graduation, they lived with their dad's sister enjoyed going to resteraunts shops pretty much unmolested. something happened (I guess) and he stopped passing.Even tho he's black racially he wasn't black socially until his adult life I still wouldn't consider him an expert or representative of the avg black experience
    Hmmm how many black.. brown...Asian actors did they audition for the broke of Magik? Wolfsbane? Sam? But anyway Brazil has the biggest black pop. Outside of Africa sooo finding one good actor that spoke English doesn't seen that hard+He coulda cast a BLACK ACTOR of ANY. NATIONALITY and it woulda been fine

There's no way Illyana woulda left that conversation with her teeth if she'd been talking to the real HBIC Dani
    Craaaaazy U agree lol

EDIT: The AMAZING Novel Passing us being made into a movie with the most appropriate casting for the 2 main characters (Tessa Thompson and Ruth Negga)
    Zaga isn’t White. He’s dark skinned.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Zaga isn’t White. He’s dark skinned.
    He might not be White, but he's definitely not dark-skinned.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

The difference between race and ethnicity really kicks y'alls asses, huh? Henry Zaga is a WHITE LATINO. Sunspot is an AFRO-LATINO. Alice Braga is a WHITE LATINA. Cecilia Reyes is an AFRO-LATINA.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    He might not be White, but he's definitely not dark-skinned.
    He’s also white.