Page 275 of 386 FirstFirst ... 175225265271272273274275276277278279285325375 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,125 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It all depends on how much the movie cost. I don't see why Disney gonna spend money on a reshoot.
    Disney isn't opposed to spending money to simply break even, since they look at the long term investment in their releases, not just how much they'll make during the initial box office run.

The problem I see is that I'm not sure an R-rated horror movie fits what Disney has planned for Marvel. Adding more gore and horror to make it "scary" is just a cheap way of making horror movies anyway.

Theoretically, Blumhouse mastered doing those types of movies for under $10 million and filming in less than 4 weeks in LA, so it's not necessarily expensive to reshoot. The question is what the greater strategy is. If it does end up R-rated, how do they deal with that on Disney+ since it looks like something for kids who watch Descendants but actually is a solid R-rated horror movie with a subplot with gay characters? Will parents complain?

The word of mouth and hype for the movie are so bad and the assumption is it's bad even when it really isn't, so at this point, can Marvel & Disney even turn it around? Even with a great script and if the reshoots are fantastic, have too many people already decided the movie is terrible and they aren't going to see it? Marvel could have tried to promote it at SDCC, and didn't. Maisie was there for the Game of Thrones panel and was there on Saturday supporting former co-stars Richard Madden (The Eternals) and Florence Pugh (Black Widow). Instead, Dr Strange 2 was promoted as the first Marvel horror movie and more bad press for New Mutants that it didn't even get a shout out from Kevin Feige.

If they wait until the reshoots are over (possibly in January or February) to do a new trailer, it's too late to turn impressions around, but no one at Fox is thinking that far ahead. And that may be the issue Disney has with Fox - they literally don't have any clue what they're doing.

And honestly I think the only reason they are keeping NM on the slate is because there is a built in audience for it. I can't blame them for playing a bit of "what do we do with this" on this film because it absolutely doesn't fit into the MCU one bit. It's possible they are trying to figure out how they can adapt it as such, but then they would have announced it as part of the Phase 4 releases at SDCC.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    even the white Sunspot?!?
    Didn't the director say something about not being able to find Brazilian actor with black heritage?

Seems odd that he couldn't find an actor.

Alfred Enoch (Harry Potter/How To Get Away With Murder/Sherlock) is half black Brazilian and speaks Portuguese and Spanish. He could still passed for a teenager as well.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think it is almost a given at this point that this mess is going to a streaming service and not theaters. Disney has zero faith in this movie and is not going to want to spend any money on promoting it. It will be dropped on either Disney+ or more likely Hula and be forgotten. I hope that in future Disney give the New Mutants another try because they are awesome characters, but this version is just done.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Disney isn't opposed to spending money to simply break even, since they look at the long term investment in their releases, not just how much they'll make during the initial box office run.

The problem I see is that I'm not sure an R-rated horror movie fits what Disney has planned for Marvel. Adding more gore and horror to make it "scary" is just a cheap way of making horror movies anyway.

Theoretically, Blumhouse mastered doing those types of movies for under $10 million and filming in less than 4 weeks in LA, so it's not necessarily expensive to reshoot. The question is what the greater strategy is. If it does end up R-rated, how do they deal with that on Disney+ since it looks like something for kids who watch Descendants but actually is a solid R-rated horror movie with a subplot with gay characters? Will parents complain?

The word of mouth and hype for the movie are so bad and the assumption is it's bad even when it really isn't, so at this point, can Marvel & Disney even turn it around? Even with a great script and if the reshoots are fantastic, have too many people already decided the movie is terrible and they aren't going to see it? Marvel could have tried to promote it at SDCC, and didn't. Maisie was there for the Game of Thrones panel and was there on Saturday supporting former co-stars Richard Madden (The Eternals) and Florence Pugh (Black Widow). Instead, Dr Strange 2 was promoted as the first Marvel horror movie and more bad press for New Mutants that it didn't even get a shout out from Kevin Feige.

If they wait until the reshoots are over (possibly in January or February) to do a new trailer, it's too late to turn impressions around, but no one at Fox is thinking that far ahead. And that may be the issue Disney has with Fox - they literally don't have any clue what they're doing.
    This isn't a blumhouse movie. Disney already lost ton of money on Dark phoenix. new Mutants would have to really make money to justify reshoots and spending on marketing

what good Maisie would do for new Mutants, if they don't even are sure about the date of release.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think it is almost a given at this point that this mess is going to a streaming service and not theaters. Disney has zero faith in this movie and is not going to want to spend any money on promoting it. It will be dropped on either Disney+ or more likely Hula and be forgotten. I hope that in future Disney give the New Mutants another try because they are awesome characters, but this version is just done.
    Drop this movie on disney+ or Hulu seems like a good way to get more subscripters
    Last edited by spirit2011; 08-14-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Drop this movie on disney+ or Hulu seems like a good way to get more subscripters
    Yup, I'd absolutely get a sub for a month just to watch this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Alfred Enoch (Harry Potter/How To Get Away With Murder/Sherlock) is half black Brazilian and speaks Portuguese and Spanish. He could still passed for a teenager as well.
    Maybe Alfred didn’t want the role? Not every actor wants or takes every role.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Maybe Alfred didn’t want the role? Not every actor wants or takes every role.
    Not saying he did or didn't want the role. I'm just used him as an example as too it not being that difficult to find an actor of afro-brazilian heritage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Not saying he did or didn't want the role. I'm just used him as an example as too it not being that difficult to find an actor of afro-brazilian heritage.
    But it can be more difficult to find one that wants to do the project.

I've worked in theater where there is absolutely some bleed over within the film community. I see both sides here. Yes, they could have been more aggressive on the search but it's absolutely possible that the agencies contacted didn't have someone that fit the age/sex/build/skill needed for the role. It's also possible that they did find some actors that fit the bill but they had other projects that couldn't wait or they just didn't want the role. It's possible they could only work with certain agencies due to contracts and Henry was the best fit without bringing in a Brazilian actor who spoke poor English.

So then they have to break it down to other options... a female Roberta? Younger Sunspot? An less suave looking Roberto? A non-Brazilian (Anja's not Russian after all)? A lighter skinned Brazilian? Personally I'm happy with the last option if they did indeed have issues like I described above to best match the personality of the character.

However it's also possible they just scooped him up because he was fresh off "13 Reason's Why" and wanted to add some more recognizable faces to the cast... in which case I feel the complaints are valid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I've worked in theater where there is absolutely some bleed over within the film community. I see both sides here. Yes, they could have been more aggressive on the search but it's absolutely possible that the agencies contacted didn't have someone that fit the age/sex/build/skill needed for the role. It's also possible that they did find some actors that fit the bill but they had other projects that couldn't wait or they just didn't want the role. It's possible they could only work with certain agencies due to contracts and Henry was the best fit without bringing in a Brazilian actor who spoke poor English.

So then they have to break it down to other options... a female Roberta? Younger Sunspot? An less suave looking Roberto? A non-Brazilian (Anja's not Russian after all)? A lighter skinned Brazilian? Personally I'm happy with the last option if they did indeed have issues like I described above to best match the personality of the character.

However it's also possible they just scooped him up because he was fresh off "13 Reason's Why" and wanted to add some more recognizable faces to the cast... in which case I feel the complaints are valid.
    I've tried that Devil's Advocate line before. It got shot down then, I'm sure it will be shot down now.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

nvm. I'm sure it's all been said before.

It bears repeating.

"The makers of New Mutants have, knowingly or unknowingly, supported this systemic discrimination."
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I think it's only a matter of time before New Mutants gets shelved by Disney, especially after that shot Iger took at Fox. They may dump it somewhere, but it won't receive any publicity. It'll just be kinda...there, and that's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing it, regardless of the admittedly odd race-swapping.

I mean, I really like Alice Braga, but she ain't black. Don't know anything about the actor they got for Sunspot, but that seems weird, too. Sure, he's Brasilian, but that's like casting Adrien Brody as Bishop and saying, "He's American, so it's cool."
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

This movie can and should rot in development hell. I'm not spending money to watch FOX whitewash Sunspot and Cecilia.