Page 383 of 386 FirstFirst ... 283333373379380381382383384385386 LastLast
Results 5,731 to 5,745 of 5790
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I heard they went back and reshot it to make it 'more horror-y,' but I also thought it was pretty lackluster in that regard. Maybe they should have stuck to whatever the original plan was...

At least they didn't reshoot it to be a romantic comedy?
    It's been covered quite a few times, there was talk of doing reshoots, but apparently none ever took place.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    It's been covered quite a few times, there was talk of doing reshoots, but apparently none ever took place.
    Yes. Absolutely no reshoots took place - even the usual pickups that happen after every movie didn't take place because the actors didn't have any availability.

Fox wanted to overhaul New Mutants to R-rated after the success of It (after filming wrapped), but Simon Kinberg said the tv filming schedules of all the actors involved made it difficult to find a time to get the cast back together. And then the Fox/Disney merger.

So, what's on the screen is only what was filmed during the original like 9 weeks filming schedule from July to September 2017. New Mutants wrapped on September 16, 2017 and Maisie was spotted in Belfast to start filming Game of Thrones Season 8 on September 29.

The first release date for New Mutants was April 2018 - but that was absolutely impossible with GoT Season 8 filming schedule.

I finally watched it and I was actually pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a total disaster. Yes, it's incredibly cliched and the final fight could've used some more money/SFX and better direction. But I did like the dynamic between pretty much all the kids. All of the critiques are pretty spot on though... Charlie Heaton's accent in particular. I wish they would have gave some motivation for Reyes' character. (Obviously I also wish they didn't white-wash her and Roberto.)

I also watched the movies and think it was ok. It would have worked better as a TV series. It feels like a pilot. I don't get why they promoted it as a horror movie though. This was the weakest aspect of the movie and more horror elements would have benefited the overall movie. funny, that Boone believes himself to be such a huge horror film.

As a fan it was of course also a little boring to watch because it was clear from the beginning that Dani is the one causing the visions and trouble....

No idea why people have enjoyed Magik so much? She looked perfect but I think Ana Taylor Joy overacted and the character was way too unlikable for me.

LOVED the love story of Dani and Wolfsbane.

Unfortunately, the casting of Sunspot and Cecilia Reyes was a WHITEWASHING DISASTER!!! They 100 percent erased Afro-latinx representation from the comicbooks. There is no legitimate reason whatsoever for doing this and all Josh Boone's comments about it clearly have shown that he has no fucking clue whatsoever (nationality and race is not the same!). He should release a statement of apology ASAP. Sunspot's role was a stupid one note cliché and Boone really believes Henry Zaga is the only one capable to portray that?!?! just absolutely dumb lol

So I finally watched it, wasn't impressed. The movie looks and feels like it's made for TV, both visually and in terms of story. The best handled character was probably Rahne, she was well acted and somewhat resembled the comic character. Dani felt more like a typical teenage heroine than the character she's supposed to be, I just didn't see Dani in her. Ditto for Sam. Berto had the right attitude but was too white and too tall. Yana looked the most comic-accurate but had the worst personality makeover (besides Cecilia who was just terribad all around). And of course the Russian girl has to be a victim of human trafficking, if she's not a spy or a prostitute then that's the only option.

It was meh overall. Should've stayed in limbo.

I watched it with my kids and was surprised at how much they enjoyed it. My daughter especially, who is 13 and likes scary movies and is probably the target demographic for this honestly. She was telling me how she hopes they do a sequel and keep this cast in the MCU. Especially Illyana who she thought was awesome.

Me personally? I thought it was okay. Liked the cast a lot though and definitely wouldn’t mind them sticking around along with the Deadpool franchise and its cast (e.g., Brolin as Cable, Zazie Beetz as Domino, etc.). In fact, Deadpool 3 might be the perfect opportunity to bring some of them into the MCU; basically establishing that the FOX Deadpool and New Mutants films were in a different reality, but the characters still exist in the MCU. Just slightly different versions. And the only one who remembers the other universe, in the FOX films, is of course Deadpool who breaks the 4th wall.

So reboot the X-men proper from a casting standpoint, but I say keep these spinoff franchise characters around and just bring them into the MCU.

Spectacular Member Ruby Quartz Diamond's Avatar

This was a terrible movie. The actress who played Dani definitely gave the weakest acting performance in the whole cast and the fact that the whole movie was centred around her character just made it harder for me to enjoy it. Imo, this is the worst movie in the whole X-Men franchise. The only redeemable part of this entire farce of a movie is Anya Taylor-Joy's performance as Illyana/Magik and I hope Feige finds a way to bring her to the MCU. The rest of the actors can be replaced if the MCU plans to adapt these characters. I think even if Jon Hamm and Antonio Banderas appeared in this movie as initially planned, this movie still won't be able to be salvaged.

I don't even think Anya is worth keeping. It will be years before they get to the mutants in earnest in the MCU, even longer before they would use this set of characters. Cast a real Russian teen when it's time, she's already too old for the role.

Fox shot their shot and missed terribly.

The end.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

They pull no punches.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

They pull no punches.

That was HILARIOUS!

So, I've been a New Mutants fan dating back to when I was a kid. Have loved many of the Marvel movies [even across different studios], but was excited to see the New Mutants hit the big screen when it got announced a couple of years ago. I was familiar with Blu Hunt from other shows, liked the GoT girl for Rahne, and really liked the actors cast as Sam / Illyana. Scratched my head about who was cast for Roberto.

Overall, the reviews were so bad, I didn't expect much going in. And I figured that the movie must have had "structural" issues, given how many times it got delayed. I didn't think it was as awful as many seem to think -- but again, I went in with such low expectations, that it wasn't as bad as I expected. The film just felt lackluster. If I didn't know about the characters and their powers / backgrounds from the comic, I wouldn't have known what the heck was going on in the movie. Ultimately, it wasn't quite as bad as the trailer suggested -- I'd give it like a 2 out of 4, but it was personally disappointing. The Demon Bear saga is such a classic, to have botched it seems like a missed opportunity. Again, felt like the cast was solid, they just didn't have much to work with.

It was nice seeing Danielle Moonstar [one of my Marvel favorites] on the silver screen, but wish that this movie had been part of the MCU instead of the death knell from the other studio.
    Last edited by rf2044; 11-24-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I also watched the movies and think it was ok. It would have worked better as a TV series. It feels like a pilot.

Agree 100% -- good point.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I watched the movie for the first time. I thought it was good, especially in comparison to the train wreck that was Dark Phoenix (for me). There were definitely things that could have been better as it felt like something was missing to give it that extra edge. But I think it was good for what it was. And I loved Yana, Dani, and Rahne personally in this.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

They pull no punches.
    really do not get the hate for this movie. It was nothing special but does it deserve so much hate? Most mainstream comicbook movies are a lot worse than what we get here.

It deserves the hate for the whitewashing of Latinx characters but everything else was ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    really do not get the hate for this movie. It was nothing special but does it deserve so much hate? Most mainstream comicbook movies are a lot worse than what we get here.

It deserves the hate for the whitewashing of Latinx characters but everything else was ok...
    No. It doesn't deserve this much hate. The movie is not perfect, but it was concise, well-paced, and full of compelling characters. It hit the ground running and didn't stop until the end. I honestly don't understand the hatred it gets. I know Honest Trailers bashes every movie to some extent, but sometimes their bias shows. This was definitely one of those cases.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member

The mystery and scares are both weak, so there's no tension. Very little happens and the characters have no goals except 'get out' and fairly weak arcs all around and basically no agency. The film meanders until the bear shows up, except the bear isn't real, only Illyana actually fights it, and the resolution of Dani talking it down is a huge anti-climax. Instead of being a true ensemble it's entirely focused on Dani to its own detriment because the character as written simply can't carry a movie.

The things I changed were shifting the mystery from Dani to Illyana by making Illyana like the comics instead of some vaguely crazy racist and embracing the questions of why a teleporter would be 'trapped' in that facility instead of ignoring it or glossing over it, raising the level of tension by having the bear be real and a constant presence throughout the story, and more clearly defining the arcs of Sam and Roberto by having them go from hating being mutants and wanting to go back to before their powers manifesting to embracing who they are now. Plus replacing Cecelia with Emma since Emma is inherently creepier and a stronger villain.

In my opinion the mystery surrounding what Illyana is is more compelling and intersting than the mystery of what Dani's powers are and helps distract from that lesser mystery so the reveal isn't as painfully obvious at the end. Plus I think the story needed someone to fill that 'Wolverine role' of being the character people pay attention to instead of having the focus be entirely on the 'Rogue POV role' character the way the movie did it. It also makes it so that there's at least one character who has real agency and isn't entirely passive the whole movie.