Page 369 of 386 FirstFirst ... 269319359365366367368369370371372373379 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I have to question this. What in the comics actually definitively identifies her as "Afro"? Yes, she's talked about discrimination based on her skin color, BUT at least in the first showings, this was always in the context of being the daughter of Puerto Ricans. and well... this doesn't read as "black" to me:
    Attachment 100267
    Oh and before someone accuses me of "cherry picking", these are the first and second times the character was seen in print. She's drawn to look like a Puerto Rican.
    HOLEEE sh!t Dude....what defines her being black? How about her damn Skin color??? Her Hair! What about Scott definitively identifies him as white? Just answer me this...what does "read black" to you? As seemingly its not being a doctor....Again black characters gotta present their whole damn genealogy in their every appearance to be seen as Black. But Monet can be seen in front of German car and youll have folks swearing to God that she is a nordi-American from the Caucus Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    That’s repulsive. Magik was one of the only few things about this film I was looking forward to and now it’s clear the director understands her character as much as he does about the published canon race the other minority characters have. Yana May have had no childhood growing up in Hell as a demon sorceress and is extremely cold, bitchy and sadistic personality wise, but she’s the farthest thing from even being a casual racist.
    Yes!!! Like what even about her would point towards racist? IF ANYTHING....ANYTHING I could see Rahne being racist but more from an uneducated Protestant oppressed dogmatic kinda way
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    If anyone cares to see Yana's racist comments towards Dani, here's the vid:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/dianandon...417920/photo/2
    Yeah I saw this too....and like whyyyy? Magik was the absolute only thing I gleamed would be good about this movie. And now its just looks like itll leave a bad taste in my brain.It makes it even more suspect when the people who have seen come back and say "Magik was the best part of the movie!" And thats not even considering Magik's referencing Sexual Abuse....like Fvck Come on dude
    Ever since reading the New Mutants Annual #2 I thought having a live Action New mutants would be awesome. This movie has zapped all but a minuscule part of that excitement. tsk tsk Boone, maybe your other adapted (from comicbooks) work will be more cohesive with the audience expectations and more faithful to the characters but Its highly doubtful Ill ever give you another chance
    (Maisie as Wolfsbane prob does a good job, Rahne has just never been my fave) :/
    Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Wow. Talk about putting your foot in your mouth. A non-Latino telling Latinos what they look like.

And yes, Emma should've been the villain. Had that Universe been worth saving, Emma should start off as a villain who then seeks redemption in her own twister way.
    lol Yes Emma woulda made a crap ton more sense. WHy would Storm who dealt with being claustrophobic lock young mutants up? And if the Vulture article is indeed true that means Boone was pushing for the 2 outta the 3 black female Xmen to be the villain
    Why Cecilia? That's actually simple. She was introduced as a mutant that SUPPORTED OZT. Why? Well she's just not into the mutant rights thing. She sees mutants from the PoV of someone who's had to help clean up the messes created by superhero vs Supervillain battles.
    Wellp that's just a straight up lie
    But still to my knowledge The New Mutants film has ZERO to do with OZT....but she still makes more sense than the White Queen who ya know was actually the New Mutants antagonist....and even held them "captive" for a few issues
    OOOOOOKKKK
    I've seen them on a lot of people, some of which were black. It's a hairstyle choice, not a genetic trait.
    It's cultural appropriation not an exotic adventure folks take while on a cruise, or at an all inclusive in Jamaica
    More and More I read about this movie has me convinced Josh Boone went to the Massachusetts Academy and is a former Hellion
    Last edited by BroHomo; 09-01-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

I really wanted the movie to be good.
    2020 is definitely not my year.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yes!!! Like what even about her would point towards racist? IF ANYTHING....ANYTHING I could see Rahne being racist but more from an uneducated Protestant oppressed dogmatic kinda way
    What, towards Dani? She was the only one concerced about Dani's feeling when the group was watching that racist ass Cowboy flick.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post
    What, towards Dani? She was the only one concerced about Dani's feeling when the group was watching that racist ass Cowboy flick.

They really could have just adapted this scene instead of having Illyana spout vicious racial remarks.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    They really could have just adapted this scene instead of having Illyana spout vicious racial remarks.
    Plus everyone was just riffing on the movie because they all thought it was hilariously bad. I think in the first panel Doug says 'this turkey wasn't made to be enjoyed, only laughed at.'

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post

OMG I looove this scene/ issue
    And I was just saying if Boone just HAD to have someone be racist I see Rahne due to her (comicbook) backstory be more likely to be....not flat out racist just ignoranly offensive than Magik
    But Its apparent Boone is not familiar with the New Mutants characters or subtlety
    An Early draft of his script had young mutant captive who was a misogynist and would graffiti his penis on stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Ugh sooo much coulda been instead of this movie
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

None of the characters should be racist. In the original series Rahne would often snap at Illyana and refuse to give her the benefit of any doubt after she found out Illyana was a witch. 'Anti-magic prejudice' rather than racism. In that sense Rahne was kind of the bully as a result of her fanatical religious upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    None of the characters should be racist. In the original series Rahne would often snap at Illyana and refuse to give her the benefit of any doubt after she found out Illyana was a witch. 'Anti-magic prejudice' rather than racism. In that sense Rahne was kind of the bully as a result of her fanatical religious upbringing.
    Yeah I remember her and Sunspot(Catholic) ganged up on Illyana a few times But thankfully that wasnt some be big after school special problem she struggled to get over with. And tbh I kinda liked how its seemed that maybe Rahne still felt uneasy about Magik's 'Demonic religion' but she was fiercely loyal to her friends and defended Magik as well as the rest of the NM numerous times
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    We have some denials about from EW, but we know Storm was indeed in one draft of the script at some point.

, though it seems it wasn’t a sadistic torturer that was reported as reported by Vulture. But who knows? That could’ve as easily been one of the earliest ideas Boone had, that was quickly abandoned.
    It said right there that Storm was going to be Cecilia part, which was the bad guy torturing the kids...

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    It said right there that Storm was going to be Cecilia part, which was the bad guy torturing the kids...
    It was also originally set in the 80s, so it could have been set during the same time period as Apocalypse. Storm working for Essex at that point might have made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    It was also originally set in the 80s, so it could have been set during the same time period as Apocalypse. Storm working for Essex at that point might have made sense.
    When she was barely in her teens?
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

I would assume that if Storm did have Reyes' role at some point it would have still been vastly different from what they did with Reyes. At the very least, there's no way she'd have met the same fate. Plus Reyes seems to have been chosen for her forcefield ability, which is important to the plot. Storm can do a lot of things, but she can't make forcefields.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    When she was barely in her teens?
    Could have been written before casting happened. But for her to be a doctor? No.

Might it have worked as part of tricking the audience to believing this was a hospital which was affiliated by the X-Men but really not, perhaps. Who Dr Reyes' employer is could have been a much bigger reveal if the audience strongly believed it was Xavier. But there would have needed to be a integrated villain plotline through all of the movies for it to work.

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

RE: Racism in the movie

First, casting:
    For the most part I've only seen non-Natives raising ire about Moonstar.
    Cecilia Reyes is the antagonist. She tortures children. If she was the only black woman in the movie, people would have a whole other problem with the character.
    Sunspot is the one I understand the most - being Afro-Brazilian is pretty integral to his background.

For the movie itself: There's really no good reason for Magik to be racist. I believe they were probably going for a "teens are cruel" trope. It should be pretty obvious you can do that without being a raging racist. And no, Magik's past trauma does not excuse her racism.

Perhaps they were planning a plot twist where it wasn't the real Storm, but an evil clone made by Sinister.