Page 330 of 386 FirstFirst ... 230280320326327328329330331332333334340380 ... LastLast
Results 4,936 to 4,950 of 5790
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I'm 100% okay with VOD. It means I can enjoy in the comfort of my own home. Only downer is that a lot of folks might balk at the $25 price tag when the reality is that they'd spend twice as much going to the theater. On the plus, I think it's possible the more hard core movie fans will watch that might have skipped before since... I mean... what else are they going to do?
    Not really. If it was to air at the theater I wouild normally go to-ealry showings would have cost between $4.50-$6.

That is NOT counting any promotion event by a comic book store or food product. I got to see Fantastic Four free because a 12 pack of Crush had a free ticket in it.

Just depends on where you live. But $25 bucks is too much for any movie.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Not really. If it was to air at the theater I wouild normally go to-ealry showings would have cost between $4.50-$6.

That is NOT counting any promotion event by a comic book store or food product. I got to see Fantastic Four free because a 12 pack of Crush had a free ticket in it.

Just depends on where you live. But $25 bucks is too much for any movie.
    $25 is about the normal price for a ticket for me if you go for IMAX or Dolby. Maybe about $15 for a regular ticket. Anyone saying $25 is too much needs to consider that with $25 multiple people can view it with that one purchase whereas in the theaters, each person had to buy their own ticket. The value is adjusted depending on whom you are seeing it with. With that said $25 is too damn much for a mere rental, especially when purchasing the film outright is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The gag is it would have been more profitable had it released back in 2018 when originally dated
    Which is all on Fox.

This film actually does have a better chance at doing big numbers as VOD during a global pandemic with a [new Hollywood media-starved] captive audience.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Amazing Member

Yeah I think this is its biggest chance of success, oddly enough. It's going to get so many more eyes on it than it would have under normal circumstances. Trolls 2 was looking at a similar "blink and you missed it" theatre run before this as well.

Let’s hope it doesn’t get a crappy VOD.

It deserves a theater release.

It will be interesting if the price is $25.99 to see how it does. I can't understand how Trolls 2 did potentially $70-80 Million on premium VOD. It's not like people were clamoring to go see a sequel to Trolls.

And the April 2018 release date wasn't a guaranteed success either. It would have had Deadpool 2 coming out right after it and taking away a lot of the hype. And the filming was really rushed since they had to film around tv filming schedules. The release date delays get all the attention, but the fact that it has actually been scheduled to start filming like January 2017 and then ended up filming in August-September 2017. When GoT Season 7 started filming in 2016, there was quite a lot of rumors that both Sophie and Maisie were only filming a few months and had to go film other things and there wouldn't be much Sansa or Arya in Season 7. Then New Mutants didn't end up filming until the end of August and wrapping right before Season 8 started filming. Promotion for a April 2018 release would have been during the time the Long Night was filming. But maybe that would have been better and Jon might have done something more than spoilers:
    yell at a zombie dragon
    end of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    It will be interesting if the price is $25.99 to see how it does. I can't understand how Trolls 2 did potentially $70-80 Million on premium VOD. It's not like people were clamoring to go see a sequel to Trolls.

And the April 2018 release date wasn't a guaranteed success either. It would have had Deadpool 2 coming out right after it and taking away a lot of the hype. And the filming was really rushed since they had to film around tv filming schedules. The release date delays get all the attention, but the fact that it has actually been scheduled to start filming like January 2017 and then ended up filming in August-September 2017. When GoT Season 7 started filming in 2016, there was quite a lot of rumors that both Sophie and Maisie were only filming a few months and had to go film other things and there wouldn't be much Sansa or Arya in Season 7. Then New Mutants didn't end up filming until the end of August and wrapping right before Season 8 started filming. Promotion for a April 2018 release would have been during the time the Long Night was filming. But maybe that would have been better and Jon might have done something more than spoilers:
    yell at a zombie dragon
    end of spoilers.
    No one said it would have been a success, but I definitely think it would have been more profitable back then. Its been diminished returns. In the 2 years since, there's still ben work done on it, and thats people they've had to pay. There's the advertising money spent promoting this for a theater release not to mention the contracts paid to secure screens. They cant do a full release in theaters with most still closed and those that do open have limited hours and are either at 25 or 50% capacity. There is ALOT of money being lost on this that they wont be able to recuperate. There's virtually no way this will be more profitable now than were released in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No one said it would have been a success, but I definitely think it would have been more profitable back then. Its been diminished returns. In the 2 years since, there's still ben work done on it, and thats people they've had to pay. There's the advertising money spent promoting this for a theater release not to mention the contracts paid to secure screens. They cant do a full release in theaters with most still closed and those that do open have limited hours and are either at 25 or 50% capacity. There is ALOT of money being lost on this that they wont be able to recuperate. There's virtually no way this will be more profitable now than were released in 2018
    The February 22, 2019 date would have at least allowed them to avoid the bad publicity of constantly pushing it back and it would have been during the hype for GoT Season 8. But that weekend was Alita: Battle Angel, so Fox couldn't have released it then.

Even with a VOD release, there still is marketing and promotion. Uni did tv spots to promote the VOD release of Trolls 2, so these types of releases aren't completely without any promotion. The strange thing now is with broadcast tv doing so well, it makes traditional ad buys easier. The existing tv spots can be repurposed - as long as people can work from home since all the vendors are shut down for another week at least.

I do hope theaters in July are going to start doing well, and there is the potential for 20-30 Million dollar openings. With the lack of releases, there is the possibility of theaters putting movies in more rooms and allowing for social distancing. So there will be fewer movies and more showings. That could allow for a 20-30 million dollar opening. But if you look at the numbers Trolls 2 did, is there the potential for $80 Million dollar openings in July? Probably not.

Mission Tiki Drive In still has New Mutants on coming soon, so I really do hope it will play there (https://missiontiki.com/). But Artemis and Scoob are also listed and those aren't going to be in theaters. Seems like there's the belief that moms are going to be the most hesitant to return to theaters with small kids. New Mutants was being aimed at the tween/younger teen audience, so it's a little younger than most MCU or X-Men films that might need parents to take them or at least permit them to go theaters versus young adults who are the ones going to beaches and ignoring social distancing who will go to theaters the moment they open.

Not to mention teens and 20-somethings ITCHING to do something other than keep cooped up. We're seeing a lot of creativity locally. Both on the cute... people setting up tents in the front yard for a neighborhood "camping trip" so they can chat with neighbors at a safe distance. To the dumb... three accounts of people locally opening speakeasies in their basement bars and charging admission to get in to defer cost of booze since the bars are closed.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Nothing on a New Mutants VOD release on Disney's quarterly earnings conference call.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 05-05-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Nothing on a New Mutants VOD release on Disney's quarterly earnings conference call.
    Well maybe they will announce something around late May/early June.

Quote Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
    Well maybe they will announce something around late May/early June.
    Seeing how things go with some theaters opening in the next few weeks and how large the crowds are might be necessary. If more theaters start to open, there needs to be films to release and Disney has some Fox movies to toss out either to theaters or on PVOD - New Mutants and an Amy Adams thriller The Woman in the Window. Both might find a larger audience on Premium VOD - but premium VOD violates the agreement theaters have with theater owners. Putting Artemis Fowl on Disney+ doesn't. Charging $25.99 for New Mutants while theaters are going out of business... that's jeopardizing theater chains going after Disney like they went after Universal.

Would Disney risk theaters not showing Mulan over New Mutants going PVOD?

Some of the studios are offering their entire back catalog of films to theaters free of charge to show while getting up and running. I haven't heard that Disney is doing that, but if they give theaters the option of showing Star Wars and MCU films - that might smooth things over.

I still suspect that Disney will end up doing a day and date release with New Mutants on PVOD and in theaters that are open, with some sort of agreement to help theaters but able to get some money back on New Mutants by cashing in on the VOD demand right now.

The first actual theater is opening next week in Oklahoma and a handful more drive-ins are opening. Texas is allowing movie theaters to open and likely by Memorial Days some will actual be open. That leaves six weeks until Tenet is out that there isn't anything in theaters. I just don't think a lot of people in the film industry want to encourage states to open up. Maisie liked a tweet mocking Christopher Nolan working to open theaters. Seems like Josh Boone is fine with a VOD release. So it might be just theater owners who want New Mutants in theaters - and everyone whose job is involved in the theatrical distribution model.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 05-05-2020 at 10:38 PM.

I think that's the biggest thing... not every state/city is going to open at the same time. Heck there are businesses not willing to open their doors even though they don't have the issues that theaters have in not having a product to offer.

Very interesting times, thanks again ClanAskani for the interesting backstage view into this industry. Having worked in the music biz years ago, I always love to see how the "sausage is made."
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

The VFX Folks did a pretty Nifty job .
    GrindrStone(D)