Page 108 of 386 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Alice Braga does indeed. But that goes back to what I said about the Hollywood mentality of "ancestry is good enough".
    Does Alice Braga consider herself black? Can you show me where she has African ancestry?

BANNED

And I'm black with Puerto Rican roots. Ever heard of Regla del Sacar? In many Latino cultures would view Dawson as "white" due to her light skin and straight hair. Rosario doesn't identify as black herself.
    Not at all. I kinda already disqualified myself from that olympic race. Lots of "woke" people dislike me too.

Never said she identified that way, just the way she'd be viewed by the small majority in charge.
    Last edited by Calaigah; 06-29-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    Does Alice Braga consider herself black? Can you show me where she has African ancestry?
    Sonia Braga is her aunt, who's father was mulatto.

http://ethnicelebs.com/sonia-braga

Dawson also had a half black grandparent.

I dunno if she identifies as black.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-29-2017 at 08:26 PM.

BANNED

To think Boone worse then Singer....

This isn't so much a drop is good this is hearing Latino or Brazilian whatever and thinking Brown not Black....Fox and Boone takes it further by going for the lightest brown possible.
    Last edited by JediKage; 06-29-2017 at 08:52 PM.

And I'm black with Puerto Rican roots. Ever heard of Regla del Sacar? In many Latino cultures would view Dawson as "white" due to her light skin and straight hair. Rosario doesn't identify as black herself.
    a small snippet of a study addressing the racial ambiguity of Latina actresses
    In an informal experiment, one based on these questions of racialized identification, I conducted a brief survey of a group of college students in a course about race and ethnicity in media. Specifically, they were asked to watch a very short clip from the film Clerks II (2006, dir. Kevin Smith) and identify Dawson’s race as well as suggest why they saw her that way. This dance scene between Dawson and her white male romantic interest in the film is almost devoid of racial and cultural markers. The scene is set on the roof of a New Jersey fast-food restaurant, where her character is in the process of teaching the white lead how to dance to the song “ABC” by the Jackson 5—a song that emerged in the Motown aesthetic that was just black enough to appeal to both white and black listeners.

What these students were essentially asked to do was find a way to read a seemingly racially unmarked scene. While many of the students responded that Dawson’s character was racially ambiguous and that they were slightly uncomfortable in being asked to categorize her, most of them were completely comfortable making a claim. A fraction of those students read Dawson as Latina, yet the majority read Dawson as Black.
    link to rule article: http://blog.commarts.wisc.edu/2012/0...-of-latinidad/
    Dawson also is half Puerto Rican which could add to her "blackness"
    Alice Braga does indeed. But that goes back to what I said about the Hollywood mentality of "ancestry is good enough".
    Eh I'm casting shade on her African ancestry...
    Last edited by BroHomo; 06-29-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

New Mutant's II will most likely release on 3/13/20. Another Friday the 13th... Nova Roma? Hellion's? Limbo?

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    a small snippet of a study addressing the racial ambiguity of Latina actresses
    link to rule article: http://blog.commarts.wisc.edu/2012/0...-of-latinidad/
    Dawson also is half Puerto Rican which could add to her "blackness"

Eh I'm casting shade on her African ancestry...
    Dawson isn't half Puerto Rican, her mother is.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-30-2017 at 01:17 AM.

Oh sh** lol. Yeah there's definitely a pattern and no point giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I can't believe Boone liked all the tweets asking for accurate racial casting and insisted he was going to cast correctly. And then ran away from Twitter like a weasel just before casting was announced. Don't say something you won't do. It just made it so much worse.

Dawson isn't half Puerto Rican, her mother is.
    it's still adding to her color
    GrindrStone(D)

Amazing Member

Heartbreaking casting. It's not like the X-books or Marvel or superhero comics in general are overflowing with prominent black characters. Why can't they just throw us a bone for once?

As a white guy I'm cringing. You'd think the studio would be a bit more PR conscious about this, if not genuinely more sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    As a white guy I'm cringing. You'd think the studio would be a bit more PR conscious about this, if not genuinely more sensitive.
    It's probably because no one said a thing about Dawson casting, which wasn't much better. So they thought this was cool.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-30-2017 at 04:25 AM.

It's probably because no one said a thing about Dawson casting, which was no better.
    How can you say that?

Regardless, people have been critical of Zaga's casting, and to a lesser extent, even Hunt's. So why add fuel to the fire? Especially when they made such a big deal about how important racially accurate casting is to them on not just Twitter but also through news press releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    How can you say that?
    The two have extremely similar phenotypes(complexion & hair texture). Rosario has African facial features(full lips & a flatter nose) and that's it. Either of them don't identify as black as far as I know.

I don't like either casting. I just kinda roll my eyes at "but she looks nothing like the character" because the previous one didn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    it's still adding to her color
    Her mom looks whiter than she does. That yellowish complexion is from her Native American ancestry from her father side.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-30-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Amazing Member

I look at it more like expecting the least from Hollywood as usual and being given even less. Rosario at least wears her black PR ancestry on her face. She's not going to stand in a line of white girls and not still be giving of other-ness. The new girl is basic Caucasian as such that we're no longer even getting the Hollywoodized half-assed sense of blackness, it's just been completely erased from the character.