Page 384 of 385 FirstFirst ... 284334374380381382383384385 LastLast
Results 5,746 to 5,760 of 5765
  1. #5746
    Fantastic Member Foon4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Making Cecilia a white-passing villain is reason enough for me to PirateBay and hate-watch this. Why not create a new character instead of crapping on CeCe? And who thought Ilyana's racist comments towards Dani were worth keeping in the script? The X3 script can at least use 'cocaine' as an excuse for its shittiness.

  2. #5747
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It was meh overall. Should've stayed in limbo.
    As bad I think the execution of the movie was it should have been released and honestly it should have been release earlier their was no reason for Fox to hold it up but I guess they were gun shy from the failures of previous projects. They honestly could have just stuck this on Halloween in any of last four or five years and they would have done decently with this film. I don't think this was good movie but this wasn't a good movie because of comic related issues more than it was a bad movie in itself.

    This was always my issue one of my big issue with the Fox X- movies if you removed everything X-men related from this film, I don't think this movie would be hurt by it any. In fact it is probably a better movie without having to try to put in the X-men connections. Without the X-men connection you aren't bother by Cecilia or Sunspot casting, Illyana attitude, Dani and Rahne relationship, how people powers work,etc. It is like X-men first class for me which was a good action movie bad X-men adaption. New Mutants is a solid Young Adult flick but a bad X-men adaption.

    It is a easy movie to hate because it takes unnecessary liberties with things that are easy to get right.

  3. #5748
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    As bad I think the execution of the movie was it should have been released and honestly it should have been release earlier their was no reason for Fox to hold it up but I guess they were gun shy from the failures of previous projects. They honestly could have just stuck this on Halloween in any of last four or five years and they would have done decently with this film. I don't think this was good movie but this wasn't a good movie because of comic related issues more than it was a bad movie in itself.

    This was always my issue one of my big issue with the Fox X- movies if you removed everything X-men related from this film, I don't think this movie would be hurt by it any. In fact it is probably a better movie without having to try to put in the X-men connections. Without the X-men connection you aren't bother by Cecilia or Sunspot casting, Illyana attitude, Dani and Rahne relationship, how people powers work,etc. It is like X-men first class for me which was a good action movie bad X-men adaption. New Mutants is a solid Young Adult flick but a bad X-men adaption.

    It is a easy movie to hate because it takes unnecessary liberties with things that are easy to get right.
    The way Illyana's powers work is a problem with the script even separate from being an X-Men movie. She's still a teleporter who we're supposed to believe is 'trapped' in there, and the movie never addresses that problem except in a throwaway line in a deleted scene. Plus they never considered the implications of giving her the power to create other realms and even life. The line 'it's magic! So am I' is meaningless in the context of the movie because they never establish that she is anything more than a mutant or that magic exists. Even the bear isn't really magic because it's just something from Dani's mind. The film is poorly thought out from start to finish. Things happen without proper cause or flow.

    First Class nailed the Xavier and Magneto relationship and the plot and character actions made sense and flowed from their experiences. New Mutants has none of that. To give an example, in the movie, Roberto thinks Illyana attacked him in the pool during his horror scene, and afterwards it's just forgotten like nothing happened. In my version Roberto thinks she was getting back at him for something he did earlier in the story and he doesn't get over it quickly, shunning her until close to the end. She also has a stronger reaction to being accused. It effects how the characters react to each other going forward, instead of the movie's way of of saying 'that happened, Next scene!"
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 11-25-2020 at 04:31 AM.

  4. #5749
    Amazing Member rf2044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The way Illyana's powers work is a problem with the script even separate from being an X-Men movie. She's still a teleporter who we're supposed to believe is 'trapped' in there, and the movie never addresses that problem except in a throwaway line in a deleted scene. Plus they never considered the implications of giving her the power to create other realms and even life. The line 'it's magic! So am I' is meaningless in the context of the movie because they never establish that she is anything more than a mutant or that magic exists. Even the bear isn't really magic because it's just something from Dani's mind. The film is poorly thought out from start to finish. Things happen without proper cause or flow.

    First Class nailed the Xavier and Magneto relationship and the plot and character actions made sense and flowed from their experiences. New Mutants has none of that. To give an example, in the movie, Roberto thinks Illyana attacked him in the pool during his horror scene, and afterwards it's just forgotten like nothing happened. In my version Roberto thinks she was getting back at him for something he did earlier in the story and he doesn't get over it quickly, shunning her until close to the end. She also has a stronger reaction to being accused. It effects how the characters react to each other going forward, instead of the movie's way of of saying 'that happened, Next scene!"

    Yeah, I don't resonate with the First Class comparison, either. Although the last two films in that series [Apocalypse / Dark Phoenix] were total duds, the first two were arguably the best X-films across all of them. I'd put Logan maybe in contention for being the best, but those would be my top 3. First Class had a great story, cool villains, awesome demonstration of their various powers, and a coherent conflict between the good guys and the bad.

    New Mutants missed the mark -- especially with respect to showing their powers. They did a good job with Illyana, and they did a good job making Dani's powers mysterious and abstract [which harkens back to the original NM comics], but they didn't do much with the others. Yes, we know that Rahne can become a wolf, but we didn't see enough of what she can do. If I didn't have a background understanding the comics, I would be completely confused by what Sam's / Roberto's powers were -- missed opportunity there, especially given the rampant CGI that was used throughout the film.

    I was really excited early on when I saw that the director planned the trilogy [which now seems dead, due to poor box office performance, the studio change, etc.] as a series of horror films, which was a great concept. Horror, but the protagonists have powers that they can use to fight back -- sign me up. And really, I think that the cast was great -- they just didn't have much to work with. Unlike First Class, which provided great insight into both the origins and motivations of the three main characters [Charles, Eric, and Raven], we barely got a spoonful in this movie. There was something really cool that they could have delved into with Illyana's background, but they just scratched the surface. Ditto Sam -- how about showing more than just that brief scene [in a washing machine, no less] to provide more insight into why he was hurting himself. They DID show the scene with the priest and Rahne, but again it was intended to be a brief scare [I assume that she killed him in wolf form, which is why he was clawed up, but that wasn't clear].

    Full disclosure -- Dani Moonstar is one of my all time favorite marvel characters, so I was down with her being the focal point of the movie and the main character. But after watching the movie and thinking about the plot, I thought they handled her part poorly. I mean, she was responsible unless I misread how the beginning unfolded in the destruction of her village, right? Or was that Essex Corporation coming to extract her and kill her village? If the former, then she didn't seem all that affected by her responsibility in the death of her family and friends throughout the rest of the film -- which doesn't make sense. If the latter, then I stand corrected. My read from the film was that her powers manifested, something happened to the village, etc.
    Last edited by rf2044; 11-25-2020 at 10:03 AM.

  5. #5750
    Incredible Member Stormrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    861

    Default

    I just watched this movie and I want my hour and half back.

    For the first half of this movie, I was just bored. I felt like the tried to focus on the characters, but somehow they managed to turn the dynamic group that is the new mutants into cliched, boring drips. It like the went down and just checked the boxes on the characters.

    You have the asshole (Sunspot), the bitch (Magik), the nice guy (Cannonball), the nice girl (Wolfsbane) and the lead who is a nice girl but with damaging powers, (Dani). There was nothing beyond the surface levels with these characters. What I just describe is their entire personality.

    As for the plot, everything happens exactly how you know it's going to happen. And why did they try to make Dani's powers a secret? That made no sense. There were no surprises. And for this to be a superhero movie, they didn't use their powers enough for me.

    My thought on this movie actually make it seem like it was just terrible. While it certainly wasn't a good movie, it wasn't the worse. It was certainly better than Dark Phoenix. However, on it's own, its just not a memorable movie.

  6. #5751
    Amazing Member rf2044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Found this video -- very funny. The pitch meeting for the New Mutants film...

    https://youtu.be/-2DeSm9Hkas
    Last edited by rf2044; 12-01-2020 at 02:29 PM.

  7. #5752
    Amazing Member rf2044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    I just watched this movie and I want my hour and half back.

    For the first half of this movie, I was just bored. I felt like the tried to focus on the characters, but somehow they managed to turn the dynamic group that is the new mutants into cliched, boring drips. It like the went down and just checked the boxes on the characters.

    You have the asshole (Sunspot), the bitch (Magik), the nice guy (Cannonball), the nice girl (Wolfsbane) and the lead who is a nice girl but with damaging powers, (Dani). There was nothing beyond the surface levels with these characters. What I just describe is their entire personality.

    As for the plot, everything happens exactly how you know it's going to happen. And why did they try to make Dani's powers a secret? That made no sense. There were no surprises. And for this to be a superhero movie, they didn't use their powers enough for me.

    My thought on this movie actually make it seem like it was just terrible. While it certainly wasn't a good movie, it wasn't the worse. It was certainly better than Dark Phoenix. However, on it's own, its just not a memorable movie.

    Good post -- I agree. It wasn't good, it wasn't as bad as its being made out to be -- it was mostly just disappointing.

  8. #5753
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    21,083

    Default

    I just saw it and yeah Fox could have kept this

  9. #5754
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    A surprisingly positive review from a source I don't think anyone takes seriously anymore.


  10. #5755
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    A surprisingly positive review from a source I don't think anyone takes seriously anymore.

    Saw that.

    I think Channel Awesome itself has earned a foul reputation, while Doug Walker more or less escaped with his reputation intact. Personally, while I find his "Nostalgia Critic" character annoying (I find his "real life" essays and commentary, like the Disney-Cember stuff more to my liking), I think often has interesting points to make and will frequently make the effort to analyze why stuff he doesn't like appeals to other people. So, kind of a guilty pleasure, considering its Channel Awesome, but I do understand if/why Walker still has a following.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  11. #5756
    Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    127

    Default

    X-Factor No. 210 (2010)

    Rahne and Rictor. Dialogue updated to reflect the movie's revelation.


  12. #5757
    Extraordinary Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Da Souf
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    X-Factor No. 210 (2010)

    Rahne and Rictor. Dialogue updated to reflect the movie's revelation.

    why would he laugh tho?
    GrindrStone(D)

  13. #5758
    Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    why would he laugh tho?
    Over the sheer hypocrisy of the situation.

    The original question she asked was "Did I make you gay?" For context, Rictor and Shatterstar were just about to get it on when Rahne walked in on them. She was also heavily pregnant at the time (the result of a dalliance with HrimHari when she was with X-Force). What did Rahne do? She attacked 'Star, accusing him of turning Rictor gay and -to break them up- claimed her kid was from a one night stand she'd had with Rictor before leaving the team.
    She eventually came around but, considering the initial grief she gave the two before that plotline was resolved, I think it's hilarious how Rictor would have viewed the movie revelation that she was a lesbian all along. LOL

  14. #5759
    Extraordinary Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Da Souf
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    Over the sheer hypocrisy of the situation.

    The original question she asked was "Did I make you gay?" For context, Rictor and Shatterstar were just about to get it on when Rahne walked in on them. She was also heavily pregnant at the time (the result of a dalliance with HrimHari when she was with X-Force). What did Rahne do? She attacked 'Star, accusing him of turning Rictor gay and -to break them up- claimed her kid was from a one night stand she'd had with Rictor before leaving the team.
    She eventually came around but, considering the initial grief she gave the two before that plotline was resolved, I think it's hilarious how Rictor would have viewed the movie revelation that she was a lesbian all along. LOL
    oh. but considering she almost killed ShatterStar when she saw them together, then lied about her kids paternity...laughing at such a permanent statement seems a bit gauche
    GrindrStone(D)

  15. #5760
    Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    oh. but considering she almost killed ShatterStar when she saw them together, then lied about her kids paternity...laughing at such a permanent statement seems a bit gauche
    Not too sure what you're talking about. As indicated in the original post "Dialogue updated to reflect the movie's revelation" and mentioned in my second: She originally said "Did... I MAKE you gay?" - This was an updated meme. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no intentions of getting into the weeds about whether the movie's chosen course was appropriate or wasn't.

    However...

    Rahne's history in Marvel comics has long been a deeply religious one. I find it interesting that the homophobic Presbyterian as she was portrayed in the referenced issue was shockingly outed in the movie and, given the hell she put 'Star and Ric through in X-Factor, I'd like to think that "present" Rictor would find the whole situation equally ironic.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •