Page 109 of 386 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    The two have extremely similar phenotypes(complexion & hair texture). Rosario has African facial features(full lips & a flatter nose) and that's it. Either of them don't identify as black as far as I know.

I don't like either casting. I just kinda roll my eyes at "but she looks nothing like the character" because the previous one didn't either.
    But Alice Braga looks far less like Cecelia than Dawson. And Dawson is a relatively big name so casting her in the film as a character having the same nationality is somewhat understandable. When she dropped out, and seeing how other castings were being criticized, couldn't they have just gone for a lesser known actress who looks closer to the character than Dawson instead of a lesser known actress who looks even less like the character?

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    But Alice Braga looks far less like Cecelia than Dawson. And Dawson is a relatively big name so casting her in the film as a character having the same nationality is somewhat understandable. When she dropped out, and seeing how other castings were being criticized, couldn't they have just gone for a lesser known actress who looks closer to the character than Dawson instead of a lesser known actress who looks even less like the character?
    Dawson wasn't the same nationality. She is US born, with her grandmother being PR.

Dawson wasn't the same nationality. She is US born, with her grandmother being PR.
    Okay heritage in that case. Still, she was somewhat passable as Cecelia Reyes unlike Alice Braga, whose casting is just a joke.

Her mom looks whiter than she does. That yellowish complexion is from her Native American ancestry from her father side.
    I guess it's her African features I've seen black women look like her.
    Dawson has Puerto Rican and African ancestry born in New York
    Reyes has Puerto Rican and African ancestry born know New York
    it's kinda pointless arguing this with you. The casting wasn't perfect but I feel like after Sunspots casting choice fans just felt like they shouldn't complain since "This was the best choice, it could have been worse"
    and then
    it got worse.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-30-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    When she dropped out, and seeing how other castings were being criticized, couldn't they have just gone for a lesser known actress who looks closer to the character than Dawson instead of a lesser known actress who looks even less like the character?
    I want to reply to this part. Has there been any major news outlet that criticized the casting that would get their attention?

Quote Originally Posted by GMT47 View Post
    I look at it more like expecting the least from Hollywood as usual and being given even less. Rosario at least wears her black PR ancestry on her face. She's not going to stand in a line of white girls and not still be giving of other-ness. The new girl is basic Caucasian as such that we're no longer even getting the Hollywoodized half-assed sense of blackness, it's just been completely erased from the character.
    I would say that Braga looks more like one of those racially ambiguist mixed people then straight up Caucasian. Similar to Aurora Perrineau who was in a similar situation a couple of years back.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-30-2017 at 06:57 AM.

I want to reply to this part. Has there been any major news outlet that criticized the casting that would get their attention?
    http://colorwebmag.com/2017/06/01/ra...n-new-mutants/
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/marcusjones...2Rl#.vsGmoqMV0
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-mutan...-ar-1795586698
    http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthr...in-New-Mutants
    http://mcufandomhatespeopleofcolor.t...rector-fuckery
    We are not alone #keepSunspotblack
    I would say that Braga looks more like one of those racially ambiguist mixed people then straight up Caucasian. Similar to Aurora Perrineau who was in a similar situation a couple of years back.
    lol dude you'd be wrong. so so wrong. Dawson is like the Queen of racially ambiguous actresses

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I agree it would be nice to create a specific thread where criticisms about the movie can be made (or the upcoming tv show as well). Might as well do that separate so people who click these main threads hoping for news or positive discussion aren't just left angry and disappointed.
    kinda like how I feel when learning my favorite character was being whitewashed?

and good luck starting a race thread in the Xforums. if it's not labeled as click bait it get shuffled to the CBR community's all encompassing minority in comics thread which is still a cool thread to check out
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-30-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

No way on earth do Dawson and Braga look similar, nor would women who look like them be treated the same.

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    We are not alone #keepSunspotblack
    I'm not talking tumblr blogs and Internet forums.

lol dude you'd be wrong. so so wrong. Dawson is like the Queen of racially ambiguous actresses
    Aurora Perrineau was considered racially ambiguous when she was casted in Jem & the Holograms. She looked no blacker than Braga.

As for Dawson, I thought you were trying to argue against her being racially ambiguous.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-30-2017 at 11:14 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

As a guy who really enjoyed Alice Bragga in Predators, I must admit that I'm perplexed by her casting. Granted, I was a little perplexed by Dawson, too, if only considering the depth of her Marvel involvement.

I'm not going to sit here and spout a buncha race-related stuff because there's plenty of that going on here already, but I'm not 100% sure the studio got in the way. I mean, they cast a black woman as Domino for Deadpool, and the majority of that character's skin is as white as a porcelain doll.

So, end of the day, it is weird that they didn't cast a darker actress. It won't stop my enjoyment of the film, but it could be a bit jarring seeing her in that role.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

I'm not talking tumblr blogs and Internet forums.
    That's where the "main media outlets" get their info from, that's where (some) people are eventually gonna learn about the casting, hopeful decide tospeak against it. If enough people make their disappointment/frustration known on internet forums or tumblr blogs eventually the "main media outlets" will report it. Either way there was evidence of peoples disappointment in the casting on the internet even CBR commented on the racial change http://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-13-re...actor-sunspot/
    so you can't say a person directly involved in the production of the film wouldn't have seen it. Although with the seemingly intentional "F-You Black People" casting choices the people in charge production doesnt seem very smart or aware of anything outside of their own world.

Aurora Perrineau was considered racially ambiguous when she was casted in Jem & the Holograms.
    why does it appear that you have a catalogue of racially ambiguous actresses on hand? And who is the one telling you that they are 'racially ambiguous'? I need receipts that these ladies were 'considered' so heavily and with so much earnest

She looked no blacker than Braga.
    Relevance?
    As for Dawson, I thought you were trying to argue against her being racially ambiguous.
    Perhaps thats why we can't seem to agree. I'm saying Dawson looks ambigous enough that she can convincingly play a black latina/dark Latina/Biracial(black and white) or any of the other different combinations and hues the human race can come in. Braga who I loooved in City of God can only believably pass for a different/mixed race person in a more limited capacity than Dawson. And in this case Dawson was closer to the character than she was.

Which sucks cause I feel as if the chicks cast in the film (other than Braga) were pretty spot on. As soon as I saw Maise with her wolf on GOT I thought of Rhane Sinclair. The girl from 'The Witch' looks convincing enough and Im sure if the scrilpt was better than 'The Witch' (anything would be) Im sure she could pull off Magik. Blu Hunt is a pretty good choice for Dani.

As far as the guys my thoughts on Sunspot are pretty obvious.
    But Charlie Heaton does not scream Cannonball to me. maybe, because his character on Stranger Things seems off putting. I dont think he's tall and lanky as Sam Guthrie should be. and to be super xenophobic he doesn't look like the "All American Boy" that he is supposed to be portraying.

Attachment 51102
    and Gah! I hate his hair! He hairline looks like its rushing to get to the back of his neck. I liked Sam's blonde as hell flat top. Charlie's hair looks like a bunch of Spiders. but I was wrong about Heath Ledger and the Joker so maybe I'm wrong about this guy. Not seeing the movie so I can I do is speculate and dream of what could have been....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I'm not going to sit here and spout a buncha race-related stuff because there's plenty of that going on here already, but I'm not 100% sure the studio got in the way. I mean, they cast a black woman as Domino for Deadpool, and the majority of that character's skin is as white as a porcelain doll.
    Is Domino white? I never thought of her of anything but white...and a badass but her skin coloration could be just part of her mutation.
    Last edited by BroHomo; 06-30-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    GrindrStone(D)

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

Just wait until they cast a Rita Ora in the role of Monet some time in the future. Too much. This is one of the reasons why I cant support these films. There aren't THAT many darker skinned characters; of the little that we have, you cast them with light-skinned, racially ambiguous actors. Dear Hollywood, there are plenty of non biracial black actresses that couldve fit the role.

As an afro-brazilian myself, this new lady doesn't get a pass. Visually miscast.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

Extraordinary Member

Enough of these games when it comes to race.
    I will make this simple.
    4 Races/ethnic groups of man.
    Black
    White
    Brown(intermediate types)mulatto.
    East Asian origin (east asian,native american,euro-asian asian,mestizo native american).
    That's it.NOTHING ELSE.

Dawson clearly looks black to me.
    That's it,end of story.
    The rock looks black enough to me by the way.Yes i said it.
    Check out the younger pic when he had an afro.
    Someone like vin diesel for example would be a intermediate type.
    IF i could tell who is who by race clearly or clearly enough,they are not racially ambiguous to me.
    Plain and simple.
    Braga by the way does not look clearly black,but she does not look clearly white.
    Last edited by mace11; 06-30-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Alice Braga was not Boone's choice, apparently.

just wanted to leave that here, for those a bit hard on Boone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt LeBeau View Post
    Alice Braga was not Boone's choice, apparently.

just wanted to leave that here, for those a bit hard on Boone.
    But what about the other choices?

BANNED

I forgot, are we still pretending Dani Moonstar is somehow whitewashed?