Page 172 of 386 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 5790

Usually, a film has to make six times its production cost to break even. Over that and it's pure profit. And as sunofdarkchild said, they are using a lot of practical effects, have set in almost entirely in one location, and the actors are all relatively new and cheap, so 30M budget is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The poster called Moondoggie said he/she heard the budget for this is just 30M.
    Somewhat nervous if it's true, not a huge fan of mutant powers done on the cheap...
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Somewhat nervous if it's true, not a huge fan of mutant powers done on the cheap...
    But look at the mutant powers in question. Dani's can mostly be done with practical effects, Rahne can have good prosthetics and some Teen Wolf budget CGI, Yana apparently has a prop Soulsword with some reasonably costing CGI to jazz her effects up, Sam's powers were pretty well done in that New Mutants feat. Lila Cheney shoestring budget Youtube music video, so doubt that's expensive too. Cici's can also be interpreted as more motion based than visuals, and I think it will be used sparingly.

Sunspot's is the only one that may seem costly but I think his powers, like everybody else's, will be used limitedly due to plot purposes. Just my theory.

Yeah no, problem is the teaser didn't give us anything, if the movie was done on the cheap, I'm not expecting anything too fancy coming out of it...
    It also makes it seem like the studio didn't want to take much risk with the property (fair enough, it's new), like if it pays out great, if it doesn't who cares.
    You got to give your creative teams the means really. Imagine if Wonder Woman had been done on the cheap...
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"No justice, no peace."

Yeah no, problem is the teaser didn't give us anything, if the movie was done on the cheap, I'm not expecting anything too fancy coming out of it...
    It also makes it seem like the studio didn't want to take much risk with the property (fair enough, it's new), like if it pays out great, if it doesn't who cares.
    You got to give your creative teams the means really. Imagine if Wonder Woman had been done on the cheap...
    Josh Boone pitched the horror idea and he wanted to make it more character driven as opposed to CGI heavy. A less CGI-d film =/= inferior quality film. You'd think Logan and to an extent Deadpool proved that.

Also, Wonder Woman was indeed done on a budget smaller than other typical superhero fare. It shows in the final battle. And The New Mutants are really not on the mythical and epic scale of Wonder Woman. For this franchise, coming of age themes and the problems facing adolescents was always front and centre. Flashy superpowers were secondary. And only a couple of them really had "flashy" powers.

It's good studio business. Go light on the powers, make people connect with the characters, give a unique concept for a superhero movie. When it turns out to be incredibly profitable, then you can increase the amount of CGI for the sequel.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 10-15-2017 at 05:44 AM.

BANNED

The poster called Moondoggie said he/she heard the budget for this is just 30M.
    30M seems too low. I can see it being 55M, the same as Deadpool.

Josh Boone pitched the horror idea and he wanted to make it more character driven as opposed to CGI heavy. A less CGI-d film =/= inferior quality film. You'd think Logan and to an extent Deadpool proved that.

Also, Wonder Woman was indeed done on a budget smaller than other typical superhero fare. It shows in the final battle. And The New Mutants are really not on the mythical and epic scale of Wonder Woman. For this franchise, coming of age themes and the problems facing adolescents was always front and centre. Flashy superpowers were secondary. And only a couple of them really had "flashy" powers.

It's good studio business. Go light on the powers, make people connect with the characters, give a unique concept for a superhero movie. When it turns out to be incredibly profitable, then you can increase the amount of CGI for the sequel.
    Come on now, pretty sure Logan, Deadpool or Wonder Woman were nowhere near close to such a low budget, 30M would be unheard of in recent years at least for a superhero picture.
    Now if you're telling me I should consider New Mutants as a full on horror film (your argument felt like hinging in that direction), instead of a superhero film with horror elements, which I assumed it was...I can do that, but then, by that standard, it looks like a pretty generic horror flick.
    I'm not sure being low-key is the right play when trying to appeal to a vast audience. In fact, I think it'd be a mistake here.

"No justice, no peace."

Come on now, pretty sure Logan, Deadpool or Wonder Woman were nowhere near close to such a low budget, 30M would be unheard of in recent years at least for a superhero picture.
    Now if you're telling me I should consider New Mutants as a full on horror film (your argument felt like hinging in that direction), instead of a superhero film with horror elements, which I assumed it was...I can do that, but then, by that standard, it looks like a pretty generic horror flick.
    I'm not sure being low-key is the right play when trying to appeal to a vast audience. In fact, I think it'd be a mistake here.
    It's a character-driven psychological horror about children trying to cope with their gifts. Make what you will of that.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 10-15-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    30M seems too low. I can see it being 55M, the same as Deadpool.
    Deadpool had a lot of locations, a couple of major action pieces and a larger cast. I can easily see this being well under that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    Well I hope that gets folks to stop saying the lack of Karma is because of racism and homophobia.

I mean I get that it's hard to trust the studio after Sunspot and Reyes' casting but Karma was gone for over 2/3 of the comic run including the DB saga. And by boycotting the movie over it they're ironically hurting the chances of seeing her on screen.
    If I'd known this was what the NM would look like on the big screen I wouldce boycotted their new series

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Well, I understand fully why this dropped on Friday the 13th in October.

Boone wasn't kidding when he said this was structured like a horror movie. It checks all the right boxes,
    Too right...it already killed off all the blackness

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Didn't like the trailer and still can't jive with the whitewashing of Roberto and Cecilia.
    You are too kind
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Stop trying to trigger people.

We all KNOW the real issue with the casting controversy.

Stop baiting. Its tacky.
    lol it's so tacky
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Seeing the trailer upset me all over again with the white-washing. Didn't even recognize Sunspot or Cecelia at all, thought they were original characters
    I just can.Not. with this movie
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Interesting how they made an effort to make Illyana and Rahne look similar to how they do in the comics, but not so much with Sam (goes without saying they made zero effort with Roberto, lol).
    gotta have your TnA

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I know the character is black. It's just weird to me that the whole onus of the outrage is on Fox when the character has been shown as white (or brown, at the very least) for years in the comics.

Yeah, the movie casting is all on Fox, but when they see two differently colored versions of the same character in the source material, I'm not surprised that they picked the more current one (incorrect though it may be).

I still don't know what the heck they were thinking with Cecilia Reyes, though.
    gplus246159518.jpg
    That's what he looked like in the last comic he was in with New Mutants as the titkr

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Seeing them all together like that, even though they ARE different ethnicities. The lack of Melanin is astounding.
    riiight!!!
    download.jpg
    Especially cause even in this drawing from the 89s you're still able to see the difference in Dani, Xi'an, BOBBY, than the rest
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-15-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Usually, a film has to make six times its production cost to break even. Over that and it's pure profit. And as sunofdarkchild said, they are using a lot of practical effects, have set in almost entirely in one location, and the actors are all relatively new and cheap, so 30M budget is possible.
    I don't think your right there. I think it is closer to twice its budget maybe three time tops. I have never heard anyone say you have to make six to break even.

Extraordinary Member

I very much doubt that every movie with a budget of $200 million needs to make $1.2 billion just to break even.

This is a fun little waster egg I didn’t even notice:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/10/...ter-egg-x-men/

I’m super excited to see how they handle the story based on the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    yea there is clear difference between comic-themed movies and horror films and romantic comedies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genres
    Comics explore all genres as they have always had comedy, horror, actions, drama, etc. Comic themed movies simply refers to the source material so expecting it to fit within a single genre is as silly as having a genre called book themed moves and being upset when those movies cut across different genres.

The reason why superhero movies haven't declined like the previous generation of superhero movies (after the original superman and batman films) is precisely because film studios realized that movies based on comics didn't have to be pigeon-holed into a single genre.

What genre a given comic movie fits into is more a function of the source material and clearly if anyone wants to tell a story of the New Mutants coming into their powers then these specific new mutants and this specific plot from the comics lends itself to horror. Danni can literally manifest nightmares and Magik is literally a young girl that teleports into a demon realm. Rahne literally turns into a werewolf. These are all things found in horror movies.
    Last edited by remydat; 10-15-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.