Page 202 of 386 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202203204205206212252302 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    So, any hype for this movie?
    used to be until Henry Zags got that casting call.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    you said "they are black." period. nothing else behind it.

while partially true, is intellectually dishonest as it's not COMPLETELY true.

sunspot is not JUST black. he's brazilian, afro-brazilian of mixed race, with a WHITE mother with SCARLET RED HAIR.

cecelia reyes is not JUST black. she's also PUERTO RICAN LATINA by way of the bronx!

they tried to do a race-perfect cecelia reyes and the actress quit the job. they went with alice braga instead, who is AT LEAST latina (tho brazilian), and also just happens to be an amazing actress herself.

i understand why some people may not be COMPLETELY satisfied, but the petty nitpicking at this movie is completely unnecessary.

they are staying devoted to an actual story-driven classic by chris claremont and bill sienkiewicz (BOTH of whom have given their enthusiastic PRAISE of the cast and crew). the cast seem equally enthusiastic to bring life to beloved characters, and so far it looks like everyone is working their butts off to bring us the NEW MUTANTS live, and on-screen.

they deserve a chance to try without dying of a thousand cuts from fandom before they even get their shot.
    It isn't a "nitpick", it's total and complete race erasure. And I don't know why you're bringing up Roberto's white mom. Yeah, he has a white mom by he's still canonically dark skin.

To be black myself and see that my black superhero idols have been completely erased for no other reason than.....iwannasayracismbutsomepostersareallergict othatword.

(word of advice for you, "Brazilian" isn't a race)

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    (word of advice for you, "Brazilian" isn't a race)
    it certainly isn't and i am so glad i never claimed it was.

brazilian IS an ethnicity, which is what i responded to in the first place.

so, "word of advice for you," double-check what you're responding to before you try it.

and if sunspot not being "black enough" for you is enough for you to lose ALL HYPE for this movie, then the new mutants never needed fairweather "fans" like you in the first place.
    Last edited by AcesX1X; 12-25-2017 at 04:50 PM.

you said "they are black." period. nothing else behind it.

while partially true, is intellectually dishonest as it's not COMPLETELY true.

sunspot is not JUST black. he's brazilian, afro-brazilian of mixed race, with a WHITE mother with SCARLET RED HAIR.

cecelia reyes is not JUST black. she's also PUERTO RICAN LATINA by way of the bronx!

they tried to do a race-perfect cecelia reyes and the actress quit the job. they went with alice braga instead, who is AT LEAST latina (tho brazilian), and also just happens to be an amazing actress herself.

i understand why some people may not be COMPLETELY satisfied, but the petty nitpicking at this movie is completely unnecessary.

they are staying devoted to an actual story-driven classic by chris claremont and bill sienkiewicz (BOTH of whom have given their enthusiastic PRAISE of the cast and crew). the cast seem equally enthusiastic to bring life to beloved characters, and so far it looks like everyone is working their butts off to bring us the NEW MUTANTS live, and on-screen.

they deserve a chance to try without dying of a thousand cuts from fandom before they even get their shot.
    The point is, neither of those actors are black while the characters have black in them. I don't know why you're being so compicated about my post. I'm just talking basics.

and for the record, i too would have preferred an afro-brazilian to play sunspot.

but marvel have done their own "erasure" of sunspot for close to thirty years, and i don't see anyone burning the marvel buildings down for it or losing "all hype" for their product.

if they couldn't find the right afro-brazilian, and henry zaga did a good job auditioning, then i will at least give him a chance.

there's plenty in this world to pick battles with without coming for the new mutants, which DOES have an ethnically and racially diverse cast as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    The point is, neither of those actors are black while the characters have black in them. I don't know why you're being so compicated about my post. I'm just talking basics.
    i saw your point a while back and call nonsense on it.
    Last edited by AcesX1X; 12-25-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: don't want to multi-post

so, "word of advice for you," double-check what you're responding to before you try it.

and if sunspot not being "black enough" for you is enough for you to lose ALL HYPE for this movie, then the new mutants never needed fairweather "fans" like you in the first place.
    Believe it or not, whitewashing or lightwashing is a huge turn off for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    Believe it or not, whitewashing or lightwashing is a huge turn off for some people.
    so is intellectual dishonesty, which is in high abundance on responses to this movie so far.

that said, it's christmas, and i do love my x-forums family. so i've said my piece and bid you both a good night! happy holidays to you!

(i hope you do give this movie a chance when it comes out)
    Last edited by AcesX1X; 12-25-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: merry x-mas wishes

so is intellectual dishonesty, which is in high abundance on responses to this movie so far.

that said, it's christmas, and i do love my x-forums family. so i've said my piece and bid you both a good night! happy holidays to you!

I probably watch it. But I have no high expectations of this movie.

BANNED

honestly no one has to give this movie a chance only because you belive your point of view is right, everyone criticising this movie has the right to do so, because they droped the ball with the casting of sunspot and Cecilia, there is no other way around that fact.
    They are not completly white, but they are not dark skined afro latino actors that should have been casted for these characthers

You can be excited for this movie, but dont try to silence others point of view when they only bring up valid criticism about racism and colorism, people have the right to express their disapointment.

BANNED

It seems that this thread will never be free of the infestation of extreme identity politics ideologues.

Quote Originally Posted by passerby View Post
    It seems that this thread will never be free of the infestation of extreme identity politics ideologues.
    Well, no, 'cuz its an X-board thread, and that's the whole point. #whenthemetaphoristoometaphoric
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Hell yeah, that's what happened to Gods of Egypt, although I was hammered when I watched it and that made it bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Hell yeah, that's what happened to Gods of Egypt, although I was hammered when I watched it and that made it bearable.
    As someone who has extensively studied ancient Egyptian art, mythology, and history, that movie was an abomination.

As bad as whitewashing Roberto and Cecelia is in this movie, it can not compare to the atrocities committed in that one.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

My race is hardly passing at representation in superhero media platforms. When you can't get the race of the ONE black member (something very important to me), it's a gigantic problem.

And you can be a white Brazilian, black Brazilian etc etc. And I said "race" not "ethnicity". Race and ethnicity are different, as a word of advice to you. "Black" and "Brazilian" aren't interchangeable like you treat them.

and for the record, i too would have preferred an afro-brazilian to play sunspot.

but marvel have done their own "erasure" of sunspot for close to thirty years, and i don't see anyone burning the marvel buildings down for it or losing "all hype" for their product.

if they couldn't find the right afro-brazilian, and henry zaga did a good job auditioning, then i will at least give him a chance.

there's plenty in this world to pick battles with without coming for the new mutants, which DOES have an ethnically and racially diverse cast as it is.

i saw your point a while back and call nonsense on it.
    oh, people have definitely complained. you just ignored it and went on your merry way like most people who dont care about whitewashing do. that's why Sunspot is as black as he is now:

lmaoooooo what do you think the X-Men based their whole concept on????

Amazing Member

I'm probably going to regret getting into this debate, specially about a movie I'm not planning to watch. But I find this whole deal about lightwashing and talking about mixed raced actors not having enough traits of a particular race as if not being pure enough very racist, ironically said in the name representation. If casting a mixed raced actor is race erasure then Storm's cast is the biggest race erasure ever since both Halle Berry and Alexandra Shipp are mixed, I wonder how would these actresses react if you tell them that their casting is race erasure because they aren't black enough. Also Brazilian is a nationality not an ethnicity, Brazil's race and ethnicity is probably one of the most diverse being white, black and native huge there and having many European and Asian inmigrants. Here in Latin America mixed raced people is the biggest one because unlike in English countries, Spanish colonizers mixed with the Natives, and given all the
    race that coexist you could see why this is common. Therefore I don't see why Sunspot and Cecelia cannot be mixed or lightskinned.
    Last edited by Jirrenm; 12-25-2017 at 06:54 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoletta View Post
    But I find this whole deal about lightwashing and talking about mixed raced actors not having enough traits of a particular race ass if not being pure enough very racist, ironically said in the name representation.
    Exactly. The racial purity exhibited here in this thread is symptomatic of the worst excesses of identity politics. And the fact that so many fail to see the problem in such an extreme stance is sad. But to actually believe that to take identity politics to such an extreme is what the X-Men stands for is laughable.