Page 204 of 386 FirstFirst ... 104154194200201202203204205206207208214254304 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 5790
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    I worded that wrong lmao bt you got what i was saying. Twisted hair, not a pencil thing nose etc etc. As long as it isn't exaggerated. And artists know damn well when it crosses into 'that's racist' territory because they sure do love giving European standardized beauty visuals to black people.

And I know who Danielle Cage's parents are. That wasn't the point of my comment. She's still a black woman whos dark skin is comparable to Sunspot's.
    Do all African characters have to have "standard African features"? Do all bi-racial (African/something else) characters have to have "standard African features"? Are Danielle Cage's features acceptable to you?

Really surprised by the comments but had to address

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoletta View Post
    I'm probably going to regret getting into this debate, specially about a movie I'm not planning to watch. But I find this whole deal about lightwashing and talking about mixed raced actors not having enough traits of a particular race as if not being pure enough very racist, ironically said in the name representation. If casting a mixed raced actor is race erasure then Storm's cast is the biggest race erasure ever since both Halle Berry and Alexandra Shipp are mixed, I wonder how would these actresses react if you tell them that their casting is race erasure because they aren't black enough. Also Brazilian is a nationality not an ethnicity, Brazil's race and ethnicity is probably one of the most diverse being white, black and native huge there and having many European and Asian inmigrants. Here in Latin America mixed raced people is the biggest one because unlike in English countries, Spanish colonizers mixed with the Natives, and given all the
    race that coexist you could see why this is common. Therefore I don't see why Sunspot and Cecelia cannot be mixed or lightskinned.
    They should acknowledge the blatant colorism and work on wayz to rectify it. (No Brainier)
    lol You mean Spainish colonizers raped and killed the natives, brought millions of slaves from Africa (20%of ALLL Slaves) guess that's coexisting from the Invaders POF...black/mixed Brazilians make 40% than their white counterparts.

Are the person who has a 'passing' white father and black mother who was too dark by my grandparents to be counted among my dad's bastards I find this personally troubling people seem willfully ignorant. My brothers are and I are all from Southern Alabama in America but if one was picked to play me in a movie, that would be another hint that "white is right" . I can honestly tell you being not "black enough" isn't as potentially damning by not being"white enough"
    Quote Originally Posted by passerby View Post
    Exactly. The racial purity exhibited here in this thread is symptomatic of the worst excesses of identity politics. And the fact that so many fail to see the problem in such an extreme stance is sad. But to actually believe that to take identity politics to such an extreme is what the X-Men stands for is laughable.
    it shouldn't surpris me that someone who tooootally missed the point of the X-Men can tooootally miss the point of anything anyone has said in this thread. Wig knowledge that Sunspot is next race where does are you in fact that not every mixed-race person ends up with an acceptable caramel
    color all 'The Rock' 'Tiger Woods' or 'Zoe Kratiz' many of us are just as diverse ethnically but you only see the whitest version possible represented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Henry Zaga is perfect casting. Just like Braga.
    Your name being a clue on your personal feelings on appropriation I still not sure how you can argue Sunspot and Cecilia are both indeed black.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    That's not "black". He looks like one of the darker skinned native American tribes.
    comic reference...

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It always surprises me how many X-Men fans totally miss the point that this whole thing is about minority representation and acceptance.
    Ugh FRFR FRFR FEFE
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    People have actually been telling Shipp she isn't black enough on Twitter.
    If that's the worse I'd trade
    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    You are missing the point. Latinos can be any race or color but thanks to American race relations (and really, this is a worldwide issue), lighter-skinned people, whether they be mixed, Latino, whatever, are considered more attractive, desirable, and worthy to be seen. Take Mexican novelas (soap operas) for example. The characters and actors on the shows are largely all Mexican, but starring roles are all occupied by light skinned actors, while dark skinned actors play servants and maids. The issue is that whether Sunspot is mixed or not (he is), because he is a mixed AFRO-LATINO, his blackness is erased by casting a white latino actor which contributes to the idea that black/dark-skinned people are undesirable and kept away from starring roles.

Think about it this way. Barack Obama is mixed (half white, half black) but is still dark enough to be considered a black person by most people. If they were to cast an actor of similar ethnic background to play him, but one whom was much lighter and appeared to be white ("White passing") or ambiguous (meaning they did not look black, the way Obama does), it would cause an uproar despite the fact that both the actor and the subject are mixed-race.
    well Brazil's not completely innocent but I agree with this sooooo hard

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    What is an "Afro-visual", and at what point do they cross into the "that's racist" territory, concerning artwork?
    look at a black person or Google one.

Those would be African visual traits.

Do all African characters have to have "standard African features"? Do all bi-racial (African/something else) characters have to have "standard African features"? Are Danielle Cage's features acceptable to you?
    if the standard is white than why not?
    No they're not.
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    look at a black person or Google one.
    So all black people do, and should, look the same, with the exact same common features?

Do you personally shame the black people that don't, or do you leave that up to someone else to do?

So all black people do, and should, look the same, with the exact same common features?

Do you personally shame the black people that don't, or do you leave that up to someone else to do?
    I leave that judgement to the people who enjoy not seeing them at all :/
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

I leave that judgement to the people who enjoy not seeing them at all :/
    But you are the one telling people to Google search "what should a black person look like", which just seems wrong to me, but...what do I know, eh?

But you are the one telling people to Google search "what should a black person look like", which just seems wrong to me, but...what do I know, eh?
    That's the question as you apparent can't distinguish individual features if comic book characters. I know you were meaning to be flippant but it doesn't seem like you understand. Which is cool I'm not an expert in women but when presented with information that contradicts my 'Knowledge ' I research/ consider I nay be wrong.
    But you do you
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

I asked someone (not you, by the way) if every black person in a drawn medium should exhibit every "standard African feature" (to which a few examples were given [twisted hair, flat noses...I'd assume others are in play as well]), suggesting that I, myself, think that some deviation is okay, since that deviation exists in real life, especially when considering biracial people.

But this...

That's the question as you apparent can't distinguish individual features if comic book characters. I know you were meaning to be flippant but it doesn't seem like you understand. Which is cool I'm not an expert in women but when presented with information that contradicts my 'Knowledge ' I research/ consider I nay be wrong.
    But you do you
    ...I have no fucking clue what this has to do with that.

So yes, you do you.

I asked someone (not you, by the way) if every black person in a drawn medium should exhibit every "standard African feature" (to which a few examples were given [twisted hair, flat noses...I'd assume others are in play as well]), suggesting that I, myself, think that some deviation is okay, since that deviation exists in real life, especially when considering biracial people.

But this...

So yes, you do you.
    lol I took your questions to be sarcastic and baiting. I figured it was obvious what was meant in the post you're having difficulty with :/
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

another thing that I find extremely off putting and weird about the sunspot casting, is that the trailer shows this movie aknowledges the origins of each characther, we see ranhe praying, we see illyana as a child, we see sam in a ilusion of the mine accident and we see dani using her powers and in snow probably running from the demon bear.

But robertos origin has a clear racial component to it, they even said during those comic con interviews that roberto goes trough some sort of trauma in brazil that brings him to that hospital, that trauma is racial in cannon and its the only one that is erased.

dont know if it has been discussed on here; if not, what are your worldwide boxoffice predictions for NM?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Illyanas2 View Post
    But robertos origin has a clear racial component to it, they even said during those comic con interviews that roberto goes trough some sort of trauma in brazil that brings him to that hospital, that trauma is racial in cannon and its the only one that is erased.
    How do we know that from a brief teaser trailer? How do we know they're not going to mine him being the product of a mixed-race couple? Mixed children often endure WORSE racism when their parentage is known.

Sweet Gawd, when oh WHEN are we gonna get that muthaflipping soulsword footage??? Damn you, Brazil!

BANNED

the twiter animated teases could be a indication, we already have rahne, sam, illyana and dani was a few days ago, maybe once we get roberto and cecilias (if she even gets one)

But this...

So yes, you do you.

Of course deviation is okay. Not all black people look the same, we are speaking specifically about a character who debuted with dark skin and curly hair (and whose origin story specifically revolves around being bullied because of it) but who over the years had his skin lightened, hair straightened, and is cast by white actors whenever he appears in other mediums + the associated connotations of all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    How do we know that from a brief teaser trailer? How do we know they're not going to mine him being the product of a mixed-race couple? Mixed children often endure WORSE racism when their parentage is known.
    Grasping at straws much? lol
    Severe doubt they go the racial trauma route in Sunspots origin for the movie
    but
    I think it's pretty clear his trauma won't be from being attacked cause he's the result of a black+white Union
    GrindrStone(D)