Page 205 of 386 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215255305 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 5790
    Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Casting actors with skin tones for mutants more consistent to the comics is going to be key for Marvel. It'll quiet alot of negative buzz going into the films.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    And you can be a white Brazilian, black Brazilian etc etc. And I said "race" not "ethnicity". Race and ethnicity are different, as a word of advice to you. "Black" and "Brazilian" aren't interchangeable like you treat them.
    blah blah blah i know what you said.

you can stop right there trying to educate me on the difference between race and ethnicity.

because the post i was replying to before you stuck your nose in it argued about the loss of ethnicity, NOT race. i even said in my first response how it would be easier to argue loss of race.

once again, "word of advice to you," double check what you're responding to before you try it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    Grasping at straws much? lol
    Severe doubt they go the racial trauma route in Sunspots origin for the movie
    but
    I think it's pretty clear his trauma won't be from being attacked cause he's the result of a black+white Union
    No, THAT is grasping at straws.

Actually, no, it's this:

You're just coming to a conclusion based upon a lot of nothing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Of course deviation is okay. Not all black people look the same, we are speaking specifically about a character who debuted with dark skin and curly hair (and whose origin story specifically revolves around being bullied because of it) but who over the years had his skin lightened, hair straightened, and is cast by white actors whenever he appears in other mediums + the associated connotations of all of those things.
    I'm not in agreement with the casting choice, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Of course deviation is okay. Not all black people look the same, we are speaking specifically about a character who debuted with dark skin and curly hair (and whose origin story specifically revolves around being bullied because of it) but who over the years had his skin lightened, hair straightened, and is cast by white actors whenever he appears in other mediums + the associated connotations of all of those things.
    and, once again "for the audience in the back" here's some more intellectual dishonesty

henry zaga is NOT white, he is latino/NATIVE brazilian on his mother's side and on his father's side is white (of italian heritage).

he's certainly NOT black, which you can argue to your hearts desire about - lord knows the biggest crime in all of hollywood is this casting choice!

but he is not just some white boy, anymore than the real sunspot wouldn't be considered some white boy to purists of black heritage.

would it have been nice to see them do sunspot both ethnically and racially accurate? yes of course. can you say they didn't try? no, but don't let that stop you.
    Last edited by AcesX1X; 12-26-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    blah blah blah i know what you said.

you can stop right there trying to educate me on the difference between race and ethnicity.

because the post i was replying to before you stuck your nose in it argued about the loss of ethnicity, NOT race. i even said in my first response how it would be easier to argue loss of race.
    Race and ethnicity are 2 different sides of the same coin in many cases. Ethnically I'm White, Cree and Black racially i identify as Black my nationality is American
    Ethnically Sunspot is White and Black, racially he looks Black His nationality is Brazilian.
    Get it?

once again, "word of advice to you," double check what you're responding to before you try it.
    Urrrr
    This is a public forum anyone can stick their nose intk any convo as long as they don't mind the smell lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    No, THAT is grasping at straws.

Actually, no, it's this:

You're just coming to a conclusion based upon a lot of nothing.
    Betting that this guy...
    download.jpeg
    Who doesn't have any African ancestry as far as we know will not be portraying a kid who is half black us somehow jumping to conclusions?
    LoL
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    How do we know that from a brief teaser trailer? How do we know they're not going to mine him being the product of a mixed-race couple? Mixed children often endure WORSE racism when their parentage is known.
    Where is the evidence for this worse racism?any case studies ?

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    Race and ethnicity are 2 different sides of the same coin in many cases. Ethnically I'm White, Cree and Black racially i identify as Black my nationality is American
    Ethnically Sunspot is White and Black, racially he looks Black His nationality is Brazilian.
    Get it?
    sure they are the same sides of the coin but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. shall i keep repeating it out for you until YOU get it?

ethnically, sunspot is mixed-race brazilian. so is henry zaga.

racially, sunspot is afro-brazilian - specifically, he is afro-brazilian of MIXED RACE (he is NOT even half black, his FATHER is black and latino); his mother is WHITE.

nationality, they are also both brazilian.

"get it?"
    Last edited by AcesX1X; 12-26-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: for the audience in the back

If people can't discuss race issues with this film without taking shots at each other, some of you will be receiving a holiday vacation. Be civil.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Default Primer on Race vs Ethnicity

here's a very simple primer on the difference between race and ethnicity. i'm sure it must be challenging to know the difference sometimes, but i hope this helps.

https://www.livescience.com/33903-di...ethnicity.html

"Race is associated with biology, whereas ethnicity is associated with culture.

In biology, races are genetically distinct populations within the same species; they typically have relatively minor morphological and genetic differences. Though all humans belong to the same species (Homo sapiens), and even to the same sub-species (Homo sapiens sapiens), there are small genetic variations across the globe that engender diverse physical appearances, such as variations in skin color.

Ethnicity is the term for the culture of people in a given geographic region, including their language, heritage, religion and customs. To be a member of an ethnic group is to conform to some or all of those practices.

Race and ethnicity can obviously overlap, but they are distinct. For example, a Japanese-American would probably consider herself a member of the Japanese or East Asian race, but, if she doesn't engage in any of the practices or customs of her ancestors, she might not identify with the ethnicity, but might instead consider herself to be American."

on the merit of nationality, they casted someone 100% perfect and appropriate.

on the merit of ethnicity, they casted someone NOT 100% perfect, but appropriate.

on the merit of race, they did not case someone perfect, or appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    If people can't discuss race issues with this film without taking shots at each other, some of you will be receiving a holiday vacation. Be civil.
    understood conn, we'll try to stay respectful. i know this is a sensitive topic, and appreciate where the sentiments come from. just because i don't agree doesn't mean i'm not sympathetic to the frustrations (in general).
    Last edited by AcesX1X; 12-26-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: conn's reminder to treat each other fairly

and, once again "for the audience in the back" here's some more intellectual dishonesty

henry zaga is NOT white, he is latino/NATIVE brazilian on his mother's side and on his father's side is white (of italian heritage).

he's certainly NOT black, which you can argue to your hearts desire about - lord knows the biggest crime in all of hollywood is this casting choice!

but he is not just some white boy, anymore than the real sunspot wouldn't be considered some white boy to purists of black heritage.

would it have been nice to see them do sunspot both ethnically and racially accurate? yes of course. can you say they didn't try? no, but don't let that stop you.
    Let's try it once more. This time with Graphs!!

Brazil itself is classified into Black and White Demographics with the Black population recently becoming the majority!!
    Race_in_brazil_2006.jpg brazil-72-638.jpg
    Do you see Latino? And it's easy to claim you have native ancestry (Blu Hunt) more difficult to prove it And unless the 80% of Zagas European ancestry doesn't count to you....he's "just some white boy"
    http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/00...erts-03-02.htm
    sure they are the same sides of the coin but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. shall i keep repeating it out for you until YOU get it?

ethnically, sunspot is brazilian. so is henry zaga.

racially, sunspot is afro-brazilian - specifically, he is afro-brazilian of MIXED RACE (he is NOT even half black, his FATHER is black and latino); his mother is WHITE.

nationality, they are also both brazilian.

"get it?"
    Screenshot_2017-12-26-10-15-55-1.jpg
    His dad is latino cause that's where his ancestors were forcibly brought to. Black People have just as much right to be Brazilian as a White person living in the country as Brazil had the LARGEST number of slaves stolen from Africa during the Slave Trade
    lol but according to you....why wouldn't his mother be white ABD Latino?
    GrindrStone(D)

see my above post on ethnicity vs race, though tho per conn, we should engage in more civility on this conversation.

you don't need to show me graphs. i grasp the concept quite well.

there's a difference between race, ethnicity, and nationality, and you should not conflate any of them to try and prove a point. i have gone out of my way from the beginning of this discussion to keep them distinct, and you should try to as well.

sunspot's mother could very well be half-latina herself, or she could be fully white. it wouldn't change the fact that sunspot himself is only partially black, is still partially white, and is definitely partially latino.

and no amount of argument against it, will change the fact that henry zaga is not white himself.

he is brazilian, of mixed-race, partially white, just like sunspot - on those merits of ethnicity, he is a match.

on the merit of race alone, he is not.

Default Are Brazilians Latino?

and while we're discussing it, there's always been controversy over whether brazilians can also be considered "latino." you can google to find arguments for or against to your heart's desire.

this article takes a deep look into what the differences/similarities are between latino and brazilian: https://theconversation.com/are-braz...-america-64792

"Some have argued that the Brazilian confusion simply stems from the fact that the Brazilians are “Latino” – a term that references Latin-American geography – but not “Hispanic,” which accentuates Spanish language. Yet, since 2000, the census has used these terms interchangeably to mean “a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race.”"

you can argue that brazilians are portugeuse over hispanic or latino certainly. please have at it. that's not the argument i'm here for, and it's irrelevant to the topic we are discussing. and even brazilians find it difficult to navigate the differences and leave it up to the individual to decide.

whether sunspot and henry zaga are mixed race latino or mixed race-portuguese, they are still both mixed-race from brazil, of multiple origin nationalities.

Default "What Are the Brazilian Ethnic Groups?"

here's an article from quora on the topic of ethnicity in Brazil: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-B...-ethnic-groups

"If you follow the strict definition of ethnicity as it is given in the dictionary (a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like, and that feels they belong to a common social/cultural group), then it is fair to say that the vast majority of Brazilians belong to just one ethnicity: the Brazilian one, a heterogeneous, plural, internally diverse ethnicity that is still these days consolidating its formative process.

Brazilians have the most diverse genetic/ethnic origins and cultural influences, but the vast majority of them became absorbed into a huge and colorful melting pot and then got out of there as Brazilians, sharing at least a few commonalities in the way they speak, behave and live.

Under that large umbrella of the Brazilian nation, you may find a huge array of phenotypes, cultural practices and lifestyles, even though probably all of them speak very similar dialects of Portuguese, eat rice, bean and beef for lunch, and are more likely to enjoy football than basketball.

Apart from those commonalities that hold the nation together and are the basic way of life of Brazilians in their every day activities, differences in looks and traditions may be starkly visible, almost as if they come from different parts of the world (which they did in most cases):"

(the above is bolded because the arcticle chose to bold those lines ... possibly due to situations like this where arguments arise over whether or not you can be "ethnically" brazilian)

I hope that when Yana's sword lights up the flames are blue and not plain orange.