Page 207 of 386 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217257307 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,105 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by Illyanas2 View Post
    If I was in charge, i whould put henry zaga in the role of empath (good casting imo)find a afro brazilian actor, this way it is not unfair to the actor and fixes a big mistake, i whould cast alfie enoch.

And for cecilia, i whould change it so she isnt cecilia, but her sister that wanted a more active role with mutants (or whatever her backstory and motives in the movie are, just dont make her cecilia), mutant siblings with similar powers is nothing new. With alice braga im a bit biased, since i love queen of the south and love her brazilian movies, but everything about her is difrent from the original cecilia.
    Too late at this point. Disney can always reboot the characters. Maybe make Sunspot a white women like they did with the Ancient One.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Too late at this point. Disney can always reboot the characters. Maybe make Sunspot a white women like they did with the Ancient One.
    Interestingly when you look at it closely, this version of the Ancient One is a different character entirely. Ancient One is a title, the actual name of the character in the comics was "Yao". Definitely not a Celtic name, and the origin of the movie version is that she was a Celt.

And other times he has been portrayed with different features. FYI I can twist my hair too. The point here is black people's hair can easily be changed.

Over decades the way characters look changes plenty of times. You just notice it more with black characters because of the racial politics involved.

It is one thing to say Sunspot should be black. Quite another to start acting like his hair has to be twisted as if black people don't routinely alter their hair.

And not to be rude but your idea of afro visuals is your idea. Black people are more diverse than you make it seem.
    Yes. I'm quite aware how my hair works. And notice how I interchanged it with "curled/curly" hair??? Of course, it doesn't always have to be twisted but I was talking about not giving his straight hair. And maybe read my comment, I literally said I'm presenting those ideas because Sunspot fits what I'm saying. I'm only bringing it up because that's what Sunspot looked like in his first appearance. I didn't say anything about other black people. But lightening one's skin tone, straightening their hair (when they were shown to have curly hair), thinning out the nose are all forms of whitewashing. So please try not to equate what I'm saying to all black people because I'm explicitly stating that I'm not doing that.

And for the billionth time, I'm black too.

Claremont in a recent interview said Sunspot is Mixed.

He's always been mixed. The issue is that people are pretending casting a mixed white-passing person to play a mixed black person is totally fine and has nothing to do with the historical and systemic issue of whitewashing in media while at the same time decrying "intellectual dishonesty." Ask a Black Brazilian how they're treated in society compared to someone who looks like Henry Zaga and then come back and tell me he was perfectly cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Claremont in a recent interview said Sunspot is Mixed.
    We've known this. But the movies seem to not get that.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Yes. I'm quite aware how my hair works. And notice how I interchanged it with "curled/curly" hair??? Of course, it doesn't always have to be twisted but I was talking about not giving his straight hair. And maybe read my comment, I literally said I'm presenting those ideas because Sunspot fits what I'm saying. I'm only bringing it up because that's what Sunspot looked like in his first appearance. I didn't say anything about other black people. But lightening one's skin tone, straightening their hair (when they were shown to have curly hair), thinning out the nose are all forms of whitewashing. So please try not to equate what I'm saying to all black people because I'm explicitly stating that I'm not doing that.

And for the billionth time, I'm black too.
    So when a black person perms their hair to make it straight, it is white washing?

Virtually every character in the comics has different features than what they debuted with. The only difference here again is your particular brand of racial politics.

There is no requirement that a character stick to the exact look they debuted with and it is Marvel that ultimately controls their characters not you. Unless you have a quote from Sunspot's creator that says he must be dark skinned and have twisted hair then you are simply passing off your personal preference as fact.

The fact is Sunspot is mixed which means his complexion can be anywhere from very dark to very light. Different artists will inevitably have different interpretations of that not because of whitewashing but because it is likely there was never any set guidelines on how light or dark a mixed race character should be so it is down to the artists or writers preference in that moment.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-26-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Interestingly when you look at it closely, this version of the Ancient One is a different character entirely. Ancient One is a title, the actual name of the character in the comics was "Yao". Definitely not a Celtic name, and the origin of the movie version is that she was a Celt.
    By that logic then there is no requirement for this version of Sunspot to have the same heritage as 616 Sunspot since the Fox verse is a different reality.

There was no Celtic Ancient One that taught the Iron Fist. We all know that character was Asian and was changed to be a white woman because Marvel wanted to do so.

So you can't just give them a pass because you like Marvel or don't care about the Ancient One.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-26-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Who gave Marvel a pass? The Ancient One casting drew tons of bad press, especially because it was a cheap attempt at appeasing the Chinese government/film industry by eliminating a Tibetan character from the story so as not to piss them off. Marvel's excuse for that was that they didn't want to show a stereotypical portrayal of Asians; what exactly is stereotypical about Sunspot being dark-skinned? Fox is only playing into the stereotype that light skin is better than dark skin. It's okay though! As has already been pointed out in this thread, mixed and mixed and there's absolutely no such thing as societal distinction between dark and light-skinned people so this is totally fine!

The person I responded to appeared to give Marvel a pass because they seemed to be suggesting it was a different Ancient One.

As for Sunspot, the issue has nothing to do with light skin or dark skin IMO. There are plenty of light skin and dark skinned black people and creating divisions amongst ourselves is dumb.

The issue with Zaga is not his skin color. It is the fact he isn't black at all. I would have zero problem with Zaga if he were actually part black because there is room in Hollywood for dark skinned and light skinned black people to get roles. Further, the most successful black actors of our time are dark skinned so this idea that somehow light skinned actors are getting all the roles is dumb.

Leave it to some black people and light skinned black actors apparently shouldn't have any roles.

The fact is Sunspot was always mixed and thus it is fair game for any black person to play him. Don't care what hue they are. The issue remains Zaga isn't actually black not that he isn't the right kind of black.

So when a black person perms their hair to make it straight, it is white washing?

Virtually every character in the comics has different features than what they debuted with. The only difference here again is your particular brand of racial politics.

There is no requirement that a character stick to the exact look they debuted with and it is Marvel that ultimately controls their characters not you. Unless you have a quote from Sunspot's creator that says he must be dark skinned and have twisted hair then you are simply passing off your personal preference as fact.

The fact is Sunspot is mixed which means his complexion can be anywhere from very dark to very light. Different artists will inevitably have different interpretations of that not because of whitewashing but because it is likely there was never any set guidelines on how light or dark a mixed race character should be so it is down to the artists or writers preference in that moment.
    It. Is. Not. Personal. Preference. When. It. Is. Canon.

But it's clear you aren't getting that dark skin actors already don't get represented in media enough. Sunspot is dark skin. He's mixed but he's still dark skin. There is no debating that. So if a light skin black person plays the part, I'm calling bullshit each and every time.

You are the only one debating something set in canon.

Why is it so wrong to point out that Hollywood has always had a preference for lighter skin over darker skin? Lighter skinned people have privilege and it's weird that some people just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    Why is it so wrong to point out that Hollywood has always had a preference for lighter skin over darker skin? Lighter skinned people have privilege and it's weird that some people just don't see it.
    I think there is evidence in whitewashing from the perspective of roles being given to white people over people of color.

I think there is zero evidence of white washing as it relates to light skinned black actors getting more roles than dark skinned black actors.

Like who are these famous light skinned actors that got all these roles?

Just about every prominent black actor I know of is dark skinned. Poitier, Denzel, Viola Davis, Angela Basset, Elba, Will Smith, Freeman, etc.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003135959/

How many of the above are light skinned? You have taken something that was used to point out the lack of prominent film roles being given to black people as a whole and erroneously used it to justify your attempt to discriminate against light skinned black people in particular.

Berry and Shipp are no less deserving to play Storm than any dark skinned black actress. If Hollywood were giving roles to light skinned black people then there would be more light skinned black actors at the top in Hollywood. There isn't.

By your logic Cheedle would never have replaced Terrance Howard in Iron Man.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-26-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    It. Is. Not. Personal. Preference. When. It. Is. Canon.

But it's clear you aren't getting that dark skin actors already don't get represented in media enough. Sunspot is dark skin. He's mixed but he's still dark skin. There is no debating that. So if a light skin black person plays the part, I'm calling bullshit each and every time.

You are the only one debating something set in canon.
    No you are cherry picking. Canon isnt just their first appearance. It is all their appearances in the comics andd it is canon that Sunspot can be dark or light skinned mulatto.

The writers and artists dictate canon not you.

And you are simply wrong. Black people don't get represented in media enough relative to white people. Dark skinned black people get represented in media just as much if not moreso than light skinned black people.

You are taking underrepresentaton of black people as a whole and trying to make it about dark skin only and as a result falling victim to the very kind of divisive tactics that you accuse Hollywood of. Light skinned black people are not the enemy and they have every right to play a character with mixed ancestry as a dark skinned actor.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-26-2017 at 05:07 PM.

I think there is evidence in whitewashing from the perspective of roles being given to white people over people of color.

I think there is zero evidence of white washing as it relates to light skinned black actors getting more roles than dark skinned black actors.

Like who are these famous light skinned actors that got all these roles?

Just about every prominent black actor I know of is dark skinned. Poitier, Denzel, Viola Davis, Angela Basset, Elba, Will Smith, Freeman, etc.

How many of the above are light skinned? You have taken something that was used to point out the lack of prominent film roles being given to black people as a whole and erroneously used it to justify your attempt to discriminate against light skinned black people in particular.

Berry and Shipp are no less deserving to play Storm than any dark skinned black actress. If Hollywood were giving roles to light skinned black people then there would be more light skinned black actors at the top in Hollywood. There isn't.

By your logic Cheedle would never have replaced Terrance Howard in Iron Man.
    https://www.teenvogue.com/story/holl...ant-be-ignored

Please read that.