Page 208 of 386 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218258308 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    The above is with respect to young black females not black actors and actresses as a whole. It even points out that there are dark skinned black actors like Elba, Boyega and Moore that don't have a problem.

Further this ignores the whole host of older black actresses like Basset, Davis and even Lupita.

Zendaya or Shipp have not reached the level of success that those women have.

So you are taking a very narrowly defined problem relates to young black women and incorrectly applying it to black people as a whole.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003135959/

None of the young black females mentioned appear on this list because the actual top dogs in the black acting world are still dark skinned black people.

If you want to limit your argument to just young black females then I am inclined agree. However applying it to black representation as a whole is not supported by the facts. There are plenty of top dark skinned black actresses and actors and it remains to be seen if any of these light skinned younger black females really make a dent on the big screen.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-26-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    The above is with respect to young black females not black actors and actresses as a whole. It even points out that there are dark skinned black actors like Elba, Boyega and Moore that don't have a problem.

Further this ignores the whole host of older black actresses like Basset, Davis and even Lupita.

So you are taking a very narrowly defined problem relates to young black women and incorrectly applying it to black people as a whole.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003135959/

None of the young black females mentioned appear on this list because the actual top dogs in the black acting world are still dark skinned black people.
    You're still not getting the issue, but I've said what I had to say. I'm done with this conversation because it just goes nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    You're still not getting the issue, but I've said what I had to say. I'm done with this conversation because it just goes nowhere.
    I get the issue just fine. I think you are conflating media ideas about black female beauty with Hollywood movies.

The fact is Hollywood movies are still largely dominated by dark skinned black actors and actresses when compared to their light skinned counterparts. You can see that in nominations for oscars, golden globes and sag awards.

You are blaming Hollywood for something that is the fault of the beauty industry and the small screen not the big screen.

It is not Hollywood propping up a Zendaya. It is Disney in their TV shows. The same Disney that owns Marvel. Which again has nothing to do with black representation in Hollywood ie the big screen.

P.S. they choose Berry for Storm long before this recent phenomenon that your article cites and they most likely chose Shipp because she can pass as a younger version of Berry's Storm. Something that a dark skinned actress like Lupita could not. None of which has anything to do with the premise of your article.
    Last edited by remydat; 12-26-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Yet, but how old are they? Zendaya Coleman is all of 21. Alexandra Shipp is 26. Both are young enough that their careers are probably just getting started.

By that logic then there is no requirement for this version of Sunspot to have the same heritage as 616 Sunspot since the Fox verse is a different reality.

There was no Celtic Ancient One that taught the Iron Fist. We all know that character was Asian and was changed to be a white woman because Marvel wanted to do so.

So you can't just give them a pass because you like Marvel or don't care about the Ancient One.
    Lolwut? You seem confused. No version of Daniel Rand studied under Yao. 616 Iron Fist learned the mystic martial arts of K'un-Lun from a guy named Lei Kung. Yao("the Ancient One") was the wizard who taught Doctor Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yet, but how old are they? Zendaya Coleman is all of 21. Alexandra Shipp is 26. Both are young enough that their careers are probably just getting started.
    Yes but the point is the problem being talked about whitewashing predates them. You can't claim Hollywood has a problem with whitewashing as a whole relative to dark and light skinned black actors and actresses and use as evidence Zendaya or Shipp. That's absurd.

Lolwut? You seem confused. No version of Daniel Rand studied under Yao. 616 Iron Fist learned the mystic martial arts of K'un-Lun from a guy named Lei Kung. Yao("the Ancient One") was the wizard who taught Doctor Strange.
    I said Iron Fist when I meant Doctor Strange as yes the Ancient One was from the Strange movie.

Yes but the point is the problem being talked about whitewashing predates them. You can't claim Hollywood has a problem with whitewashing as a whole relative to dark and light skinned black actors and actresses and use as evidence Zendaya or Shipp. That's absurd.

I said Iron Fist when I meant Doctor Strange as yes the Ancient One was from the Strange movie.
    Ironically the Ancient One's ethnicity was changed to appease the government of an Asian country namely China. The Ancient One is Tibetan in the comics and Marvel Studios knew China might ban the film over it so they changed him into a Celtic woman.

Yeah I am aware why they did it. However that doesn't make it right as in the end it is the same mentality behind choosing white actors over black actors. The idea that the majority would be more likely to watch the film if the characters look like them. In this case, Marvel just presumed that the majority as represented by the Chinese government would ban the film.

Contrast that with Fox having a similar choice with Deadpool. Make a film the Chinese will approve of or don't have the film shown in China. It will be interesting to see what Marvel does with Deadpool as I can see them doing a cut of the film that can be shown in China.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Illyanas2 View Post
    another thing that I find extremely off putting and weird about the sunspot casting, is that the trailer shows this movie aknowledges the origins of each characther, we see ranhe praying, we see illyana as a child, we see sam in a ilusion of the mine accident and we see dani using her powers and in snow probably running from the demon bear.

But robertos origin has a clear racial component to it, they even said during those comic con interviews that roberto goes trough some sort of trauma in brazil that brings him to that hospital, that trauma is racial in cannon and its the only one that is erased.
    That is a very good point. The way things work with Fox i would not be surprised if they give him a completely different origin. I could see Fox ignoring Sunspot has any Afro Brazillian ancestry and may even change the race of his father so that they can ignore that aspect of the character. It may be to ICKY of a subject for Fox-Men fans.

Yeah I am aware why they did it. However that doesn't make it right as in the end it is the same mentality behind choosing white actors over black actors. The idea that the majority would be more likely to watch the film if the characters look like them. In this case, Marvel just presumed that the majority as represented by the Chinese government would ban the film.

Contrast that with Fox having a similar choice with Deadpool. Make a film the Chinese will approve of or don't have the film shown in China. It will be interesting to see what Marvel does with Deadpool as I can see them doing a cut of the film that can be shown in China.
    I don't the U.S. cut will be effected but there will definitely be a Chinese cut if they want to release it there just like Iron Man 3 had a Chinese cut with a added subplot with a Chinese scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    That is a very good point. The way things work with Fox i would not be surprised if they give him a completely different origin. I could see Fox ignoring Sunspot has any Afro Brazillian ancestry and may even change the race of his father so that they can ignore that aspect of the character. It may be to ICKY of a subject for Fox-Men fans.
    Or it might get treated as an unimportant background detail. Like.. well... most characters origins.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Or it might get treated as an unimportant background detail. Like.. well... most characters origins.
    Most character origins have different implications than X-men characters.His abilities first surfaced while being involved in a fight after being attacked for being of a darker hue. The first manifestation of someones mutant abilities are more important to X-men characters since these details sometimes play major roles in characters lives. Rogue is a good physical example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    ...what do you think the X-Men based their whole concept on????
    Ummm... Arguably, Doom Patrol...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    Most character origins have different implications than X-men characters.His abilities first surfaced while being involved in a fight after being attacked for being of a darker hue. The first manifestation of someones mutant abilities are more important to X-men characters since these details sometimes play major roles in characters lives. Rogue is a good physical example of that.
    that's one way to look at it. but the xmen aren't the only comic book characters with tragic backstories...

BANNED