Page 222 of 386 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    They probably should have thought about moving Dark Phoenix to September and putting New Mutants around Halloween given the horror elements but not sure if they could have moved Dark Phoenix.
    As mentioned late August and September are the only times next year where a franchise isn't releasing a major film so yeah if you wanted to play the horror element the best scenario would had been move Dark Phoenix to Late August/September and release New Mutants a week or two after Venom in October. But that also is problematic late August and September don't have any franchises because much late January it's considered dumping time of the year where films that studios have no faith in get releases and moving any film there would start rumors of the studio having no faith in it.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Is the Cannonball actor seriously banned from coming back to the states? If so he complicates things too.
    Forgot about that!

Maybe film in Canada like every other X-MEN film.

Can't wait till the mutants move to Atlanta
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

People are talking

Earlier today Fox delayed the release of The New Mutants from April of 2018 until February of 2019, nearly a year delay for a movie that was nearly released. Trailers are in theaters for the movie already, and it’s basically finished. In fact the movie tested on the Fox lot in LA just last month. The results of that test screening are what likely resulted in this ten month delay…

People familiar with the test screening said it tested well, but not great. And today many of the Hollywood trades are reporting that the upcoming reshoots are to add more horror to the film in the light of successes of movies such as “It”. That’s not entirely true.

Tonight I was able to speak with someone with direct knowledge of the post-production of the movie and the reshoots are not to make it scarier. While audiences responded “okay” to the recent tests, one person involved with the X-Men movie franchise is completely not happy with the movie at all, and the reshoots are meant to lighten the tone of what is said to be a “very very dark (tonally)” movie.

It almost sounds as if this person is a little gun shy of a hard “horror” X-Men movie, which is a huge departure from the core franchise, and is afraid they would have another Fantastic Four (2005) on their hands if audiences reject the dark tone, but that’s just speculation on my part.

That’s not to say the trades are completely wrong. The “It” comparison is actually a very good one in this case. If you look at that movie, it was scary but the overall done wasn’t depressingly dark. People didn’t leave the movie wanting to slit their wrists, instead they wanted to see Part 2. “It”‘s tone was very similar to that of Stranger Things, which itself is inspired by the Stephen King story, and that is probably a good place to look to see where lightening the tone of New Mutants will take the film. It has scares, but isn’t depressingly dark. It sounds like that’s the goal with these reshoots. So those Justice League comparisons absolutely do not apply here.
    Seems to be a lot of confusion about what's going on with New Mutants, so for clarity purposes I'm going to sum it up for everyone.

This has nothing to do with Disney.

JB made a crappy horror movie that just happened to have the New Mutants in it.

Fox recognized their mistake shortly after the release of the trailer. The public reaction to the trailer was generally confusion & disinterest.

It will be released.

They are not doubling down on that pricks "genius vision" by making the film darker. Even Fox (believe it or not) understands this would be a bad idea.

Reshoots are intended to lighten the tone of this crappy horror movie that just happens to have the New Mutants in it.

Anyone who says this "film" tested even remotely positively is mistaken. Nobody likes JB's excrement (oh I'm sorry I meant movie).

Myself and the majority of the folks whom I worked with are of the opinion this movie cannot be fixed with reshoots alone. It's just that bad.

Fox has a complete "movie" that they've invested big money in. But they are too cheap to redo it all, so they're doing some reshoots in the hopes that they can break even.

I can personally confirm that people high up were warned beforehand that this would not work as a horror movie. They did not listen. I think in part because what was in the works before JB came aboard required a significant budget increase.

The only redeeming quality of this movie is the actors. They did phenomenal with what they had to work with. Yet another reason this whole thing is just sad
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    People are talking
    Where is this information from? What is the source?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Where is this information from? What is the source?
    The second part is from SHH. The same user posted this on 1/9

'm hearing bad things from people. Barely anyone outside of seriously hardcore X-Men comic readers have any idea who or what the New Mutants are. Combine that with the "horror" aspect and a general confusion and disinterest from the average moviegoer, and you've got a perfect recipe for failure. While Fox now understands these issues and are actively trying to fix this mess, I'm afraid that all the happy go lucky reshoots they can muster up won't save this one. Very sad.

Then he was dismissed until reshoot was confirmed few days later

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The first one really isn't saying anything that new. The second I'm not even going to give the time of day. I'm going to listen to the trades, and people who do this for a living, as a opposed to yet another person with "anonymous sources".

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    As mentioned late August and September are the only times next year where a franchise isn't releasing a major film so yeah if you wanted to play the horror element the best scenario would had been move Dark Phoenix to Late August/September and release New Mutants a week or two after Venom in October. But that also is problematic late August and September don't have any franchises because much late January it's considered dumping time of the year where films that studios have no faith in get releases and moving any film there would start rumors of the studio having no faith in it.
    I was thinking along the lines of Dark Phoenix Lador Day Weekend, New Mutants around Halloween.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Yeah that second write up sounds like bullshit to me. It is clear the writer doesn't like the horror aspect of things and doesn't even have the professionalism to hide his clear bias. Even if it is true, the writer does nothing to make anyone but like minded people feel like he is trying to be objective.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    The second part is from SHH. The same user posted this on 1/9

Then he was dismissed until reshoot was confirmed few days later
    Yikes! I wonder where all that hate for Josh Boone is coming from?

I would love to hear what he has to say about the delay.

Maybe, just maybe, they should have actually tried to go for the tone of the original source material, ie, yes, there are scary things going on, but these are kids in a mansion having fun and getting the hang of their powers....
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

"These kids could care less about being X-Men. They’re so (messed) up and have had such horrible things happen, they’re just trying to figure out how to get out of this situation. We just tried to pull this back and make it performance- and character-driven, and more grounded and credible than X-Men movies ever are.”

This sounds good.

Extraordinary Member

Reshoots to lighten the tone are surprisingly common and often work. Star Trek 2 had reshoots to the ending to give some hope that Spock would come back because test audiences left the theater depressed. Why it needs so much reshooting that it needs a 10-month delay, and why they only decided this now, with the movie having been finished for months, being just a few months away, and with their ongoing Twitter marketing campaign I don't understand. This seems like something they should have decided last month at the latest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Reshoots to lighten the tone are surprisingly common and often work. Star Trek 2 had reshoots to the ending to give some hope that Spock would come back because test audiences left the theater depressed. Why it needs so much reshooting that it needs a 10-month delay, and why they only decided this now, with the movie having been finished for months, being just a few months away, and with their ongoing Twitter marketing campaign I don't understand. This seems like something they should have decided last month at the latest.
    I don't recall Wrath of Khan's ending being a reshoot because of test audiences. They rewrote the ending DURING filming because Nimoy decided while they were making the film he was actually keen to return after all (he originally pushed for Spock's death because he wanted out).

A 10 month delay after a screen test is not normal. You can shoot and post-produce a whole movie in that much time. Obviously the movie sucked and they will pour time and money into trying something else. Luckily by then the Disney deal should be tidied up and we won't have to suffer through any more of this.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I don't recall Wrath of Khan's ending being a reshoot because of test audiences. They rewrote the ending DURING filming because Nimoy decided while they were making the film he was actually keen to return after all (he originally pushed for Spock's death because he wanted out).
    The test version of the film didn't have the ending shot of the torpedo with Spock's body on the Genesis planet. The 'remember' scene was added during the original filming, but test audiences still were too depressed over the finality of Spock's death, so the added the coda on the planet , as well as Kirk's 'there are always possibilities' captain's log, to give that speck of hope which was missing from the film.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-12-2018 at 10:12 AM.