Page 271 of 386 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321371 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    is it really lookin that bad???
    yes very bad

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think that just ups the chances of Disney just dumping New Mutants on Hula even more.
    Maybe New Mutants will turn out as a surprise. Once its reshaped.

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    yes very bad.
    sources...I can't find anything without being spoilerific

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

sources...I can't find anything without being spoilerific
    I have watched a ton of reviews for the movie so far and the best reviews are still giving it a "meh" while most just think the movie is a sloppy mess that takes all the bad things of X3 and doubles down on them.

It is sitting at a 22% on Rotten Tomatoes with over a hundred critic reviews and at a 44 with about 40 critic reviews over on Metacritic.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 06-06-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    As bad as things are looking for Dark Phoenix I think that just ups the chances of Disney just dumping New Mutants on Hula even more.
    I don't know anyone who has seen the whole movie, so I don't know if it is or bad. But horror movies are very difficult to do test screenings and can spiral out of control with feedback from test audiences with different expectations. Audiences come into the screening being told they are seeing an untitled horror movie and certain expectations without seeing a trailer or knowing what the movie is. Everyone has different ideas on what does or doesn't make a good horror movie.

For example, a while back there was a test screening for a suspense/thriller which starred an actor known more for comedies. The audience expected the movie to be funny, the director played up horror elements and ended up on the floor crying after reading comments from the test audience ripping his movie to shreds. The original movie wasn't bad, but after messing with it to fix issues the studio had and dozens of cooks in the kitchen, it was a worse movie.

New Mutants isn't a typical movie and recruiting a test audience who wants to see that movie isn't possible so they'll just have a general audience who respond with massive criticism and it turns into a clusterf*** as more and more changes are made. Since it's a Marvel movie, they're going to keep test screenings limited to avoid leaks and spoilers.

Hopefully someone can have a vision of what the film is and ignore test audiences when their feedback isn't helpful. Blumhouse has mastered that approach. They how to make horror movies and they trust their judgement. The only instance where it is is when the director wants to make a movie the audience isn't interested in seeing.

I really don't know how they do reshoots since the cast has changed so much. Maisie looks like she did in about Season 5 of Game of Thrones. It's going to be so obvious what's added.

The X Men IP seems damaged by DP how can they market this film?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    The X men IP will be just fine in a few years. After some rnr and rehabilitation with games, comics, a cartoon. Even a X-men mini-series.

they dont.

The IP isn't really damaged, Everyone knows this era of X-men is over. Infact the IP is actually boosted by this mess because not one piece Fox Xmen can now be brought over to the MCU. MCU X-men is a blank slate. Comic X-men is about to be blanked slated by Hickman

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Having just seen Dark Phoenix, I think any goodwill New Mutants might have had has just gone down the toilet. That compounded by all the drama with the reshoots makes me think this is VERY unlikely to be released in cinemas.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Having just seen Dark Phoenix, I think any goodwill New Mutants might have had has just gone down the toilet. That compounded by all the drama with the reshoots makes me think this is VERY unlikely to be released in cinemas.
    Likely direct to Disney+ or possibly broken into a mini-series on Disney+.

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    The X men IP will be just fine in a few years. After some rnr and rehabilitation with games, comics, a cartoon. Even a X-men mini-series.
    The only rehab the brand needs is to be incorporated into the MCU. Curiosity alone will probably blow the roof of the box office when the first movie hits.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Likely direct to Disney+ or possibly broken into a mini-series on Disney+.
    They can't streamed it, it must be showed in theaters because it's in the actors contracts that states the movie must be showed in theaters. Besides Disney also assumed the debt FOX had before the buyout ($13.8 billion to $19.2 billion) it wouldn't make much sense not to try to make some money back by releasing the films in theaters.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brer rabbit View Post
    They can't streamed it, it must be showed in theaters because it's in the actors contracts that states the movie must be showed in theaters. Besides Disney also assumed the debt FOX had before the buyout ($13.8 billion to $19.2 billion) it wouldn't make much sense not to try to make some money back by releasing the films in theaters.

That's interesting. Do you happen to have a copy or at least a screen shot of this contract that shows this provision?

Uh preeeeeetty sure the theater's decide if they wanna show the film

Uh preeeeeetty sure the theater's decide if they wanna show the film
    Well, theater chains could refuse to show a movie from a major studio, but that's not likely to happen. There have been some pretty bad movies getting wide releases, but Disney maintains pretty high distributor/exhibitor relationships. They can negotiate perks for chains to show a movie they know isn't as strong in exchange for something else.

New Mutants has an established fanbase, so even if it's unwatchable, it's still going to draw an audience. The problem is it's going to take marketing and the question of what that budget it. The major theater chain owners are more concerned about what a studio is going to do to market a bad movie, than if the movie is actually bad.

It's becoming common for movies being dumped to streaming to have a single day release at a limited number of theaters (some times only 1) to fulfill contractual obligations. For example, Mowgli had a limited release at 1 theater before premiering on Netflix and didn't report box office revenue to the fulfill contractual obligations of a theatrical release. So, technically the same could happen with New Mutants.

Besides Disney also assumed the debt FOX had before the buyout ($13.8 billion to $19.2 billion) it wouldn't make much sense not to try to make some money back by releasing the films in theaters.
    The problem is a theatrical release isn't going to even make back marketing costs. Keep in mind, studios split the box office with theaters. To get a movie like New Mutants into theaters, the distributor has to offer an even better deal with more of the box office up-front to the theater.

It's difficult to keep marketing costs for a wide release to below $20 million.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 06-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.