Page 272 of 386 FirstFirst ... 172222262268269270271272273274275276282322372 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 5790
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    That's interesting. Do you happen to have a copy or at least a screen shot of this contract that shows this provision?
    Yeah, do we actually know that’s in the contracts or is it just guessing? Because I thought one of the producers said something like they hoped that Disney would give the movie would a theater release, or that it deserved a theater release, something like that. If the producer is ‘hoping’ for a theater release than it’s not something that’s required in the contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Yeah, do we actually know that’s in the contracts or is it just guessing? Because I thought one of the producers said something like they hoped that Disney would give the movie would a theater release, or that it deserved a theater release, something like that. If the producer is ‘hoping’ for a theater release than it’s not something that’s required in the contracts.
    This is a common issue for films being dumped or sold to streaming or VOD but there is usually a limited theatrical release to satisfy contracts. I don't know if this has been revealed with New Mutants, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's an issue. But there are ways around it usually related how director and actors want to handle a flop. Do they want a box office dud on their record or quietly sneak a movie to streaming? Since the cast of New Mutants are all young actors, they aren't going to be making those types of demands.

I'm not sure agents for the cast of New Mutants would have even thought this was a possibility when they signed on. They were likely thinking multiple movies and appearing in other X-Men movies and getting those types of items into their contracts, not penalties for the film not being released theatrical.

Maisie has spoken multiple times about wanting to do X-Men so she could work with Sophie so she clearly saw this as a multiple film deal. For example: Maisie and Sophie's recent interview with Rolling Stone (they were on the cover),

[Maisie] doesn't mince words on the situation. “Who knows when the f*** that’s gonna come out,” she says. There were supposed to be reshoots to “make it scarier,” she explains, but they haven’t actually taken place. She says she saw one of her co-stars, Charlie Heaton, the other day and asked him, “What the f*** is going on with this movie?” He didn’t know either. She smiles. “Hopefully this interview will make everyone hurry up a little bit!” If it does ever come out, both she and Turner — who plays Jean Grey over in the main X-Men movies — are dying to get their characters together. “It would be ridiculously stupid if they didn't do that,” Williams says.
    That was back in March, and it didn't seem like Sophie and Maisie released the X-franchise is dead. But maybe it could continue on. A New Mutants series on Disney+ might work better than a movie. But the cast might not be interested, depending on where it was filming.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 06-08-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    One it was LSD who said she hoped it got a theatrical release and not end up on Hulu.

Two there is no such thing as films having theatrical releases being in Actors contracts. It is the studio or film owner alone who decides if a film gets a theatrical release, VOD release, or shelved.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-08-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    One it was LSD who said she hoped it got a theatrical release and not end up on Hulu.

Two there is no such thing as films having theatrical releases being in Actors contracts. It is the studio or film owner alone who decides if a film gets a theatrical release, VOD release, or shelved.
    Unless you're Andy Serkis and you can make Netflix give your movie a theatrical release (https://variety.com/2018/film/news/a...ut-1203022933/).

Maybe the best known example of this was Fox releasing Idiocracy to fulfill contract requirements in Mike Judge's contract with no promotion or marketing just to say it had a theatrical release.

Contractual obligations might not be the actors - but director, producers, financiers, production companies, international distributors, etc. I highly doubt when any contracts were being drawn up, anyone thought this movie wasn't going to have a theatrical release. What actor's agent would want to forcing a studio to release an unwatchable mess of a movie? The concern would be financial with how back-end deals would be impacted. For lower budget films for small studios/production companies, some actors are doing films for practically scale and then hoping for a payoff (Blumhouse movies are a good example) when the movie does well at the box office. Some actors have gotten burned from those deals and now want more guarantees they aren't wasting their time. But that wouldn't be a movie on the scale of New Mutants.

Day-and-date VOD releases with limited theatrical runs allows essentially direct-to-video releases to actually be shown in theaters. So there really isn't the need to do what happened to Idiocracy again.

The only reason to not release New Mutants is because Marvel has plans to do something with the characters and doesn't want this version to taint future releases.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 06-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    The only reason to not release New Mutants is because Marvel has plans to do something with the characters and doesn't want this version to taint future releases..
    Yeah I feel everyone knows that

Unless you're Andy Serkis and you can make Netflix give your movie a theatrical release (https://variety.com/2018/film/news/a...ut-1203022933/).

Maybe the best known example of this was Fox releasing Idiocracy to fulfill contract requirements in Mike Judge's contract with no promotion or marketing just to say it had a theatrical release.

Contractual obligations might not be the actors - but director, producers, financiers, production companies, international distributors, etc. I highly doubt when any contracts were being drawn up, anyone thought this movie wasn't going to have a theatrical release. What actor's agent would want to forcing a studio to release an unwatchable mess of a movie? The concern would be financial with how back-end deals would be impacted. For lower budget films for small studios/production companies, some actors are doing films for practically scale and then hoping for a payoff (Blumhouse movies are a good example) when the movie does well at the box office. Some actors have gotten burned from those deals and now want more guarantees they aren't wasting their time. But that wouldn't be a movie on the scale of New Mutants.

Day-and-date VOD releases with limited theatrical runs allows essentially direct-to-video releases to actually be shown in theaters. So there really isn't the need to do what happened to Idiocracy again.

The only reason to not release New Mutants is because Marvel has plans to do something with the characters and doesn't want this version to taint future releases.
    It was his film he was more than an just an actor same for Judge as I said the rights owner makes the decision either by deal or on their own. Guess who owns the New Mutants rights? Disney now that they own Fox.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-08-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It was his film he was more than an just an actor same for Judge as I said the rights owner makes the decision either by deal or on their own. Guess who owns the New Mutants rights? Disney now that they own Fox.
    Fox had a contract they had to honor when they agreed to distribute the film which they technically fulfilled. Just buying Fox doesn't mean Disney gets out of their contracts. I know a lot of people who would be out of job if that was the case. But Disney has a huge team of lawyers looking for loopholes in Fox contracts. If Disney wants to find a way out of releasing New Mutants, they can.

Studios need to maintain relationships with talent they want to continue to work with. I highly doubt, unfortunately, that the cast of New Mutants falls into that category. The producers and financiers involved in New Mutants can take the loss and Disney can offer them the opportunity to work with them on an MCU movie and they're happy. The director could be offered another movie if they want to continue to work with him. The cast could be the biggest losers since this could be a big break for some of them that they won't have again.

I don't want to seem pessimistic. There is nothing indicating the movie is not being released in April.

I don't want to seem pessimistic. There is nothing indicating the movie is not being released in April.
    uhhh all the other delays and false starts

Fox had a contract they had to honor when they agreed to distribute the film which they technically fulfilled. Just buying Fox doesn't mean Disney gets out of their contracts. I know a lot of people who would be out of job if that was the case. But Disney has a huge team of lawyers looking for loopholes in Fox contracts. If Disney wants to find a way out of releasing New Mutants, they can.

Studios need to maintain relationships with talent they want to continue to work with. I highly doubt, unfortunately, that the cast of New Mutants falls into that category. The producers and financiers involved in New Mutants can take the loss and Disney can offer them the opportunity to work with them on an MCU movie and they're happy. The director could be offered another movie if they want to continue to work with him. The cast could be the biggest losers since this could be a big break for some of them that they won't have again.

Fox never agreed to distributed the film it was their film they were distributing themselves big difference from agreeing to distribute a film for another party so there is no agreement to violate.

Rumors about the reshoots:

EXCLUSIVE: New Mutants reshoots are set to begin in November.
    We just recently talked with someone and got a tip of when the 4-week reshoot might happen:

New Mutants ‪reshoots are set to begin on November 20 and wrap on December 14 in Boston, Massachusetts (still no official word on pre-production/cleaning Medfield Hospital).

Additional photography might happen in January due to actors schedules.
    https://newmutantsup.tumblr.com/post...e-set-to-begin

Kinberg said a few weeks ago the actors' schedules filming tv shows was the main issue, and Maisie has a new new series that starts filming soon, so that could be one of the issues. So the timing makes sense. That amount of reshoots isn't a few shots, so there's no chance Disney does that much and doesn't do a theatrical release.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 06-26-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Why are they still reshooting this mess?

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Abandon it to Hulu, please.

No. We want it!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    No. We want it!
    why would it matter if it's on Hulu or in theaters?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why are they still reshooting this mess?
    It sounds like they are going back to the original concept before Fox turned it into a YA horror nonsense and rewrote the script.

Honestly, I thought it was stupid idea and the only reason I now care and want this to be huge is due to all the issues Maisie Williams is having booking roles. She's said in interviews given up the idea of having a film career and maybe even acting because she just doesn't have the body type and doesn't want to do the required promoting herself (y'know, like dating a Jonas brother and putting her life on social media like Sophie Turner). So, New Mutants need to be successful.