Page 279 of 386 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329379 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Comicbook.com has some more news about reactions to the test screening of the new cut: https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/08...tive-reaction/

Bill Sienkiewicz on the latest test screenings: https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/statu...90930756722694
    Very possible reshoots won't happen

Problem I have with all of this is that from what I can tell it started with someone saying "It was okay" and then people went crazy basically stating "OMG test screenings are going so well!" without anything but that original tweet to go by. Now I might be wrong on this, but it really seems like a long string of well meaning telephone game style people who REALLLY want to believe that it's something more than "okay."

Now don't get me wrong, I want to see this movie badly and I want it to be good... but I see one person say it's "okay" and suddenly it's getting "rave reviews?!"

Quote Originally Posted by fsger View Post
    that "honor" goes to Dark Phoenix or Last Stand.
    Last Stand almost killed the franchice but Dark Phoenix achieved it.
    Dont discount this movie yet just wait till 2929 when it lands in theaters...
    New Mutants is gonna salt the box office after it bombs

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Dont discount this movie yet just wait till 2929 when it lands in theaters...
    New Mutants is gonna salt the box office after it bombs
    2929 crap it might have to duke it out with Star Trek 4.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Problem I have with all of this is that from what I can tell it started with someone saying "It was okay" and then people went crazy basically stating "OMG test screenings are going so well!" without anything but that original tweet to go by. Now I might be wrong on this, but it really seems like a long string of well meaning telephone game style people who REALLLY want to believe that it's something more than "okay."

Now don't get me wrong, I want to see this movie badly and I want it to be good... but I see one person say it's "okay" and suddenly it's getting "rave reviews?!"
    The original cut also had generally positive reactions, but Fox didn't like it because it needed to be more like It and Stranger Things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    2929 crap it might have to duke it out with Star Trek 4.
    Fans of the film are gonna "Boldly go where No one has/will go before"

to the theater to see this movie

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Very possible reshoots won't happen
    Or won't be as extensive. Unless they're going to massively overhaul the movie to turn it into an R-rated horror movie, there's no need to reshoot 80% of the movie.

I don't think Disney agrees with the Fox idea to turn New Mutants into an "R" rated horror movie any way. It doesn't fit the Disney brand. Disney can't just release family films, but there's no need to up the horror in a Marvel movie that should be aimed at teens. That decision was made following It opening to $123 Million in 2017, but the It sequel is tracking lower.

They may be able to get away with just some voice over, re-editing and maybe some added shots to up the horror. The cast is so young and it was filmed so many years ago, it may be difficult just add one or two scenes. It will be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The original cut also had generally positive reactions, but Fox didn't like it because it needed to be more like It and Stranger Things.
    This.

I want to re-iterate that the negative reaction to the original cut wasn't because it's a bad movie. It was because it was a PG-13 horror movie which always test badly - especially when an audience is recruited from the general public. They just aren't scary enough for most people who are recruited to see a "horror movie".

What people like in a horror movie is very subjective. Very few PG-13 horror movies get good reviews. They're generally hated, even if people do actually go see them.

I don't know how Disney or Fox did this test screening, but Disney and Marvel does conduct test screenings in a very different way than Fox. Fox wants to appeal to the general public. They literally were handing out flyers at malls to get people to see the original test screening and those are the people who they wanted their opinion. Were they Marvel or X-Men fans? Were they the target audience? Doesn't matter to Fox.

Disney tests Marvel movies with a small group of people who are the target audience. They do focus groups afterwards not written comments where the audience members are asked questions about areas like understanding the plot and characters' motives.

They aren't getting the useless feedback most test screenings get. My favorite example of this is a dramatic thriller from an actor known for doing comedies. The audience was recruited by handing out flyers in the mall which promoted it was a new film from that actor. The reaction - the movie wasn't funny enough. Some people walked out of a free movie. Most of the feedback was about the film being a thriller and the audience didn't want to see the movie they saw, they wanted to see the actor in his usual roles. And that wasn't a bad movie. It wasn't that good either, but no one should have walked out of the test screening.

So, unless there's the right audience, even bad test screening doesn't mean it's a bad movie. And original New Mutant was generally "meh" to "okay" and just sort of an average YA film with horror elements that just only appeals to the audience that likes those movies.

Also, the original editor was the same editor Josh Boone worked on for Fault In Our Stars and does tv primarily. Nothing against the guy, maybe he's a good editor, but... it's also very possible there was improvements that could be made by an editor more familiar with the horror genre. It's still a movie that needs to appeal to teens so some amount of Fault In Our Stars is fine, but the horror has to be right.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 08-26-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

They should just release this on Hulu and be done with it. Stop dragging it out and trying to make it work and just release it already that way they can close the book on Fox Xmen

Disney confirms no R-rated content on Disney+ (their new streaming service) https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status...71564867112960

That's going to be an issue for Deadpool, but it explains why the planned reshoots to make New Mutants R rated wouldn't make sense.

Most of the R-rated stuff they’ve had was released under labels most people don’t immediately associate with Disney (like Miramax, which they’ve since sold) or now newly acquired from Fox, and I think the plan is to just put that stuff on Hulu which they now also own a majority stake in.

Though there may still be some hesitance to muddy the waters with an R rated *superhero* movie, even released under the Fox label. Not that that makes sense, but a recent trade report about a Disney exec getting cold feet about Taika Waititi’s Jojo Rabbit coming out on *Fox Searchlight* made me think maybe some of these guys look at this stuff very differently than most of us would.

If reshoots don’t happen, I imagine that won’t be because reshoots couldn’t help, but because they don’t want to sink any more money into it. I remember one of the trades reported recently that Disney was going through all the in-progress Fox projects they acquired with a fine tooth comb, and any project seeking reshoots would have to make a strong case for them with detailed storyboards. It could be that the only real option for this film, which probably already seems like a bit of a dead end with Feige’s stewardship of the X-Men on the horizon, is to just try to do what they can with what they’ve got in the editing room.

To be fair, Dark Phoenix was DOA because by the time it was released we knew the X-Men would be rebooted into the MCU, thus making DP inconsequential. New Mutants will be a stillborn franchise for the same reason - they might as well not even bother with a theatrical release and put it straight onto Hulu and DVD.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Wrong on both accounts.

Last Stand didn’t do anything. The franchise keep going. As already said Dark Phoenix was DOA but not for the reasons Digifiend gave. It was released in a crowded month where even sequels to successful well received films underperformed(Godzilla and Secret Life of Pet 2), barely promoted because Disney fired the marketing team hurting its awareness rates, and had very misleading marketing that made it look like a grand finale where the X-Men face their greatest threat when really it was made to be a psychological drama about Jean going through PTSD.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 08-28-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Aware, but I'm saying that one person posts on Twitter this weekend it was "okay" and suddenly the bloodthirsty fan accounts are running around like it's the greatest news since the movie was even announced. We always knew it was an "okay" movie by all early accounts, but not sure why were seeing so much leverage put on one random person's opinion now that they started testing again.

I'm 100% grateful they are testing it again which is news in itself, but let's wait to crown it the bEsT mOvI3 ev4r until we see more feedback?

Surprised no ones posted this buuut for those of you interested....
    New pic of Anna Taylor Joy seemingly in Magiks Eldritch armor
    1567029441795.jpg
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

You sure that's Magik's armor? Doesn't look anything like it.