Page 301 of 386 FirstFirst ... 201251291297298299300301302303304305311351 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    There are a lot of AfroLatina actresses like Zoe Saladana who could have played Cecilia Reyes. SheÂ’s Afro Puerto Rican.

Of course they could have found a mixed race Brazilian to play Sunspot.
    Orrr a black actor.
    A Black American actor woulda been a more accurate portrayal of Sunspot
    Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    trying desperately to balance my disappointment with Zaga's casting with my uncontrollable impulsive swooning upon seeing those pics...true duality.
    Ha! I'm listening to that Duality song by Slipknot lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I mean, I'm not complaining... but geez they are pushing hard. It's not even March yet.

It went from "it'll be a soft release" to post trailer "OMG people want to see this?!?!? HYPE TRAIN CHOOCHOOO CLIMB ABOARD THE MOUSE HOUSE EXPRESS Y'ALL HERE'S YOUR LOCKHEED KEYCHAINS AND CANNONBALL JOCK STRAPS!"
    Are there really Lockheed key chains? Because I might buy one.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

3 new pic Sunspot
    They're like: See, look how dark he is!

He's a handsome guy, sure, but he'll never be Roberto.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

He's a handsome guy, sure, but he'll never be Roberto.
    I thought he was cuter...

Looking these pics makes his wole look extra basic
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I thought he was cuter...

Looking these pics makes his wole look extra basic
    Very basic. I agree. Roberto is so much more.

Fantastic Member

Yeah I'm absolutely conflicted on this whole debacle as being someone who's a fan and has worked in theater. Should they have aggressively looked for someone with darker skin tone for Roberto? Yeah, I do think this. However I also know logistically it's not always that easy and sometimes you really have to go with the worst case/best case for situations like this. I think skin color aside, Zaga looks like he's got Berto's swagger and charm and I think it's great he's at least regionally appropriate. For that I begrudgingly accept the casting even as it pains me that it's caused issues. But I'm completely boggled about Reyes. It's possible they didn't want to make a "black woman villain" for the film, but if that's the case it's a flimsy reason and only makes the casting that they did for Berto look worse. I have no doubt they should have and easily could have kept her race-appropriate.

As for the others, I actually love Masie and Anya for the roles (Masie was the first person I thought of for dream casting Wolfsbane). Blu I'll need to see in action but I'm glad that she's at least properly AI (regardless of skin color, which I know several people think she looks too white), and Charlie.... yeah sure, okay... but I want to see some bro love between him and Zaga and make sure he's properly awkward for the part.

It's tough. I don't blame those who are wanting to "throw this movie into the fire" and boycott. I also applaud them for their voices and making sure they are heard, as I try to back them up whenever I see people on Reddit or whatever telling them to "get over it." But yeah, I still have waited 30+ years for this film to be made and I cannot deny how excited I am to see it.
    Ok, as a man of color I would love to see darker skin tones represented in media, but I honestly think folks need to chill on the outrage and just give the actors a chance. The fact that the actor playing Roberto is still South American, albeit not dark skinned, is something the actor still has going for him, as long as the actor portrays the essence of Roberto, I think we’ll all be fine. As for Dr. Reyes, everyone seems to forget she’s a dark skinned Puerto Rican woman and not actually an African American woman. The actress seems to be of South American decent. Is she dark skinned? No. Is she ethnic? Yes. Ok, so they picked someone regionally appropriate but not skin tone accurate. The character also seems to be a bad guy in the film which is not the same characterization as the comics. Is it perfect? No but the fact that the actors aren’t outright caucasians, I think I can live with the colorism liberties taken.

BANNED

Hope one can avoid the "not black enough" stuff that happened to Zoe Saldana a few years ago. That was bad enough. Seeing stuff like this again is not really a good thing

And I am waiting for the movie. Good or bad finally to see it is enough^^

I mean, I'm not complaining... but geez they are pushing hard. It's not even March yet.

It went from "it'll be a soft release" to post trailer "OMG people want to see this?!?!? HYPE TRAIN CHOOCHOOO CLIMB ABOARD THE MOUSE HOUSE EXPRESS Y'ALL HERE'S YOUR LOCKHEED KEYCHAINS AND CANNONBALL JOCK STRAPS!"
    Hahahahahaha Cannonball Jock Straps for EVERYONE!!! <fires jockstrap cannon into the crowd>

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    trying desperately to balance my disappointment with Zaga's casting with my uncontrollable impulsive swooning upon seeing those pics...true duality.
    Same.
    Damn my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I thought the same.

Mighty Member

I could understand the complaints about Sunspot when this all happened two years ago but still?! It's like a psycho ex boyfriend saying he's totally over his "evil ex" yet he can't stop talking about him...even two years later. I could understand if maybe Disney had made some major changes to the movie and left this issue the same but they've been upfront about how they didn't want to spend money making changes to it. If you really have that much of a problem with his casting, you would've given up on this movie a long time ago. I used to watch The Walking Dead with a roommate and a few years ago when Negan came on, we stopped liking it and began complaining about it. I stopped watching it. Both of us moved to new apts and we see each other like once a year. Last time I saw him he was still complaining about Negan and TWD. I wasn't. Cause I stopped watching.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 02-05-2020 at 06:46 AM.

I think it's important to make sure voices of disappointment are indeed heard. However there is a line I feel like after the 300'th time it goes from insightful criticism to going out of your way to mash the thumbs down button on anything having to do with the movie because of the choice made and making sure everyone knows you've done it, including Grandma.

Also, thank you Tuna, I had indeed forgotten Cecilia was Puerto Rican.

It's a frustrating situation that will loom over his film, but my love for everything I feel like they've done right so far will make sure I'm first in line at the theater that Friday night.

Cecelia is a black Puerto Rican. She is African American and Latina.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    Ok, as a man of color I would love to see darker skin tones represented in media, but I honestly think folks need to chill on the outrage and just give the actors a chance. The fact that the actor playing Roberto is still South American, albeit not dark skinned, is something the actor still has going for him
    You mean Black. The Dudes not black Being from the same country doesn't mean you have the same experiences. Why is the fact that the actor is from Brazil more important than his race? You think if he was walking down the street in another country people will think of him as Brazilian??? Nah he'd be Black
    As for Dr. Reyes, everyone seems to forget she’s a dark skinned Puerto Rican woman and not actually an African American woman. The actress seems to be of South American decent. Is she dark skinned? No. Is she ethnic? Yes.
    Again... You mean Black. She's not Black Is CeCe Reyes? Yes and You seem to forget that Puerto Ricans..Brazilains...Americans...Canadians...etc can come in any race. Bobby and CeCe are Black to knowingly erase that for a movie is an odd and insulting move. Is she ethnic? Everyone is ethnic dude.
    Ok, so they picked someone regionally appropriate but not skin tone accurate. The character also seems to be a bad guy in the film which is not the same characterization as the comics. Is it perfect? No but the fact that the actors aren’t outright caucasians, I think I can live with the colorism liberties taken.
    Puerto Rico and Brazil are not in the same region....they dont even speak the same language. The actors chosen for those 2 characters are white in Brazil sooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Hope one can avoid the "not black enough" stuff that happened to Zoe Saldana a few years ago. That was bad enough. Seeing stuff like this again is not really a good thing
    Eh the when you have to wear facial prosthetics to look more like someone who was proud of their race/look Its not a good thing. Seeing stuff like what? The casting choice? Cause yes I agree seeing this again does not bode well
    Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I could understand the complaints about Sunspot when this all happened two years ago but still?! It's like a psycho ex boyfriend saying he's totally over his "evil ex" yet he can't stop talking about him...even two years later.
    lol I'm in LOOOOOVE with The New Mutants
    Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I used to watch The Walking Dead with a roommate and a few years ago when Negan came on, we stopped liking it and began complaining about it. I stopped watching it. Both of us moved to new apts and we see each other like once a year. Last time I saw him he was still complaining about Negan and TWD. I wasn't. Cause I stopped watching.
    Eh The Walking Dead sucks anyway tho...

I think it's important to make sure voices of disappointment are indeed heard. However there is a line I feel like after the 300'th time it goes from insightful criticism to going out of your way to mash the thumbs down button on anything having to do with the movie because of the choice made and making sure everyone knows you've done it, including Grandma.
    It's a frustrating situation that will loom over his film, but my love for everything I feel like they've done right so far will make sure I'm first in line at the theater that Friday night.
    Eh a lotta people aren't aware that the movies so whitewashed, If people calling it out for its overtly passive racism is irksome to you, maybe you should take time to ask themselves Why....Cause complaining about people complaining is the most complainest complaints
    Also, thank you Tuna, I had indeed forgotten Cecilia was Puerto Rican.
    And Black
    lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Yup, she's the Rahne I pictured in my mind's eye when they announced they were doing this movie.

Oh and BroHomo, I'm certainly not complaining. I stand by those that are upset by Bobby and Cecelia's casting. I also tend to play devil's advocate and try to see all angles of things so apologies if it seemed like I wasn't supportive..