Page 336 of 386 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340346 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,040 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I highly doubt those films did poorly bc of the casting choices.
    Then I'm not sure what kind of proof you're looking for. They're all underperforming films which also, I guess totally coincidentally and not at all relatedly, attracted bad press due to whitewashing. Is that better? As far as I'm concerned, I answered the question I was asked.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Then I'm not sure what kind of proof you're looking for. They're all underperforming films which also, I guess totally coincidentally and not at all relatedly, attracted bad press due to whitewashing. Is that better? As far as I'm concerned, I answered the question I was asked.
    Its a reach. As already emntioned those films were not good irregardless of the casting. Critics were not praising them, they were not getting great reviews, both of which typically help give movies buzz for the audience to go see. Quite frankly, unless a person is familiar with the source material, most people dont care about whitewashing. Alot of white people dont, whom tend to be the target audience anyway. As a black man, Im bothered by what is being done to Sunspot and Ceclia but I can concede that most that will see this film dont even know who they are, let alone what ethnicity they should be. If it bombs I would never blame it on whitewashing. Whitewashing is an excuse to blame failure when other more signficant factors are at play and have a direct impact

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    1. Aloha (2015)
    2. Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)
    3. Gods of Egypt (2016)
    4. The Lone Ranger (2016)
    5. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)
    6. Ghost in the Shell (2017)
    7. Pan (2015)
    Those were more obvious though with bigger fanbases

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Those were more obvious though with bigger fanbases
    The lone ranger?
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    The lone ranger?
    I do remember that one having controversy surrounding it because of the casting though. Some of these others, yeah they might have bombed because they looked like horrible movies. I mean, one might say that this is just as much of a factor for NM bombing as anything... some people just don't think it looks interesting.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Ironically, whitewashing contreversies are likely working in most of those films advantages since they tend to get people to keep the movie in the conversation. With Gods of Egypt and Ghost in the Shell in particular had they not had those headlines going on they would've been extremelly forgotten. I barely remember the Lone Ranger and it's because I remember there being some complaints about the race thing. But not enough for me to have a clear picture of what it was all about.

So I doubt that NM would bomb over its cast, but rather because it just has not had any real luck with dates and marketing. It looks interesting enough for a general audience, but I don't think interesting enough will save it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Ironically, whitewashing contreversies are likely working in most of those films advantages since they tend to get people to keep the movie in the conversation. With Gods of Egypt and Ghost in the Shell in particular had they not had those headlines going on they would've been extremelly forgotten. I barely remember the Lone Ranger and it's because I remember there being some complaints about the race thing. But not enough for me to have a clear picture of what it was all about.

So I doubt that NM would bomb over its cast, but rather because it just has not had any real luck with dates and marketing. It looks interesting enough for a general audience, but I don't think interesting enough will save it at this point.
    Lone Ranger cast Johnny Depp as Tonto
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Lone Ranger cast Johnny Depp as Tonto
    I know. My point was that that piece of info is about the only thing I remember from that movie. Studios are not as dumb as they seem some times, they know what will cause a reaction or not. Scarlet was already facing backlash because of going for roles that the public didn't like for her.

If this movie gets people riled up about race, at least people will talk about it and see it. But quite frankly, aside from here I haven't seem much uproar about it. Most people have deemed it DOA because Disney is going to kill this continuity anyways.

I mean, if Deadpool 3 is in danger of being shelved NM has no real chance really.

BANNED

Race will play very little of a role if any in the box offices.

The whitewashing of the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie might have had the most impact on the box office or at least the initial reaction that everyone working on that movie had no understanding or respect for the material. That first take fans have on whether they do or don't accept a cast can cast a shadow over whether or not there is the perception a movie can be good. But it's not something that's a deciding factor for most people on whether or not they go to the theater to see a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    Race will play very little of a role if any in the box offices.
    Eh I'd say it depends on if youre into Horses or Dogs
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    The whitewashing of the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie might have had the most impact on the box office or at least the initial reaction that everyone working on that movie had no understanding or respect for the material. That first take fans have on whether they do or don't accept a cast can cast a shadow over whether or not there is the perception a movie can be good.
    lol Yeahhh That movie was....I dont even know how they coulda thought that casting was a good idea It would be like doing a remake of The Color Purple Starring Matt Damon, Collin Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Daniel Radcliffe, Casey Affleck, and Scarlett Johansson Or maybe they just thought the audience wouldn't care if its basically the same (sorta) story just delivered in a white package. Kinda shows that this was in trouble from the jump, if the series did anything it didnt treat its audience like they were dumb kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    But it's not something that's a deciding factor for most people on whether or not they go to the theater to see a movie.
    Maybe its because I mostly live in a college town, or that my friends rarely talk to me about movies (except if its a superhero or has some kinda controversy) but thats not been my experience
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I highly doubt those films did poorly bc of the casting choices.
    It didn't help some of them either.

Pretty sure most people don't care about the casting choices.
    John Boyega thought that too.
    Kelly Tran as well.
    Leslie Jones too.
    Michael B Jordan also.
    Jada Pickett Smith as well.
    Brie Larson say Hi.
    Marlon Wayans say hi also
    Batwoman say hi.

Star Wars TFA was callled an attack on white peopl and John endured the most of that backlash. That almost saw gun violence at theaters.
    Kelly took the brunt of the hate for The Last Jedi.
    Leslie wasn't even the biggest name in Ghostbusters-yet only SHE not Melissa was targeted.
    Michael B Jordan took all the ahte for Fantasic Four with folks wanting his career to END.
    Folks were ready to boycott Gotham if Jada came back.
    40 hours of Brie Larson bashing was led by one former DC employee while Cap marvel was on.
    Folks were mad Marlon was in Dungeon & Dragons.
    Some illegally download Avengers Endgame and removed every POC and woman from the film.
    Batwoman is looking for a new lead for a reason.

This does not include the bashing of a black actress in 13 Reasons season 3 or Stranger Things.

Wrong, and at this point if they try to release a movie with two whitewashed black characters it'll catch fire.
    It might but since this movie is so old-it might get a pass.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Kelly Tran as well.
    Leslie Jones too.
    Michael B Jordan also.
    Brie Larson say Hi.
    Batwoman say hi.

Star Wars TFA was callled an attack on white peopl and John endured the most of that backlash. That almost saw gun violence at theaters.
    Leslie wasn't even the biggest name in Ghostbusters-yet only SHE not Melissa was targeted.
    Michael B Jordan took all the ahte for Fantasic Four with folks wanting his career to END.
    40 hours of Brie Larson bashing was led by one former DC employee while Cap marvel was on.
    Some illegally download Avengers Endgame and removed every POC and woman from the film.

This does not include the bashing of a black actress in 13 Reasons season 3 or Stranger Things.

I don't recall any focus on Leslie Jones until AFTER she shot her mouth off about the upcoming Ghostbusters 3 ignoring the reboot movie, and that was because of her sheer fucking hubris about the reboot no one wanted (fans of the original Ghostbusters ALWAYS wanted a sequel with the original cast) and which wasn't a good movie on its own merits in the first place.

And the only "bashing" of a black actress on Stranger Things is because the character of Lucas's sister was an OBNOXIOUS BRAT, which had NOTHING to do with race at all.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 06-08-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I don't recall any focus on Leslie Jones until AFTER she shot her mouth off about the upcoming Ghostbusters 3 ignoring the reboot movie, and that was because of her sheer fucking hubris about the reboot no one wanted (fans of the original Ghostbusters ALWAYS wanted a sequel with the original cast).

And the only "bashing" of a black actress on Stranger Things is because the character of Lucas's sister was an OBNOXIOUS BRAT, which had NOTHING to do with race at all.
    Soooo maybe 2examples are wrong? Take those out the poster point is still made
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Kelly Tran as well.
    Leslie Jones too.
    Michael B Jordan also.
    Brie Larson say Hi.
    Batwoman say hi.

What is your point bc you are conflating different things, other than what was being discussed which was characters being whitewashed, none of which any of this falls under