Page 365 of 386 FirstFirst ... 265315355361362363364365366367368369375 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,475 of 5790
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    The difference between race and ethnicity really kicks y'alls asses, huh? Henry Zaga is a WHITE LATINO. Sunspot is an AFRO-LATINO. Alice Braga is a WHITE LATINA. Cecilia Reyes is an AFRO-LATINA.
    Quoted for the simplest of truths.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    The difference between race and ethnicity really kicks y'alls asses, huh? Henry Zaga is a WHITE LATINO. Sunspot is an AFRO-LATINO. Alice Braga is a WHITE LATINA. Cecilia Reyes is an AFRO-LATINA.
    Explaining the difference between race and ethnicity to comic book fans...

GrindrStone(D)

Amazing Member

I think the issue is the use of the word “white” being a misnomer. Is this where Caucasian works better?

Spectacular Member

What was the script/dialogue like in this movie? minus racist remark.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    What was the script/dialogue like in this movie? minus racist remark.
    A mix of John Hughes and just normal “teen” dialog. Little bit of cursing, a few quips, nothing too out there

Alice isn’t white either but go off.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    He’s also white.
    NO, HE ISNT. Look at his parents as well. Dad is the General Secretary to that fascist in Brazil. Admar Gonzaga. His mother Sônia Gontijo isn’t white either. Henry isn’t white.
    Last edited by Slicknickshady; 08-29-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I never downplayed "Mean Girls" or whatever you think the problem is. You brought it up for some reason, I said I did not care about whatever TV show you were talking about.
    It was first bought up as "disingenuous name calling," when what was being discussed was Illyana making a racist remark.

Fictional characters forgive pretty quickly people who try to kill them and such, I think they can handle some disingenuous name calling. I suspect most people in the real world can too.
    Then described as "nobody cares" when the topic of discussion was about white girls being bullies and caring about it is just being caught up in an "outrage mob." Whatever that means.

Who cares about mean girl representation in watered down TV shows? In the real world, no one cares. Don't get caught up in the outrage mob, it won't age well.
    I didn't bring that tv show up at random, that was a good example of how they could do the bullying without making Illyana look racist. Something the movie failed to do.

And you keep ignoring my point that Dani and Illyana interact far more beyond that one remark, just as the audience will see a character develop throughout the entire movie beyond that one scene.
    I don't think you're grasping how bad making racist insults like that will hurt characters when they're seen for the first time. I hate it and I'm a big fan of the character. What gets me is that there was an angle to delve into racism, with Roberto - his origins begin with that in the comics. They didn't have to get a cast member to call him a racist insult do to do it, either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    "outrage mob." Whatever that means.
    See the following:
    I don't think you're grasping how bad making racist insults like that will hurt characters when they're seen for the first time.
    No one is getting bent out of shape about this who is not caught up in feeling they need to bent out of shape about it. Most people can still distinguish between a remark based on race and racism. Unless Illyana runs around treating Dani bad the whole movie because she hates Native Americans or believes herself superior to them, she is not racist. She just is not.

Edit: Sorry if this sounds dismissive, I get your concern, I just don't share it. We will see if it is a big deal I guess.
    Last edited by cranger; 08-29-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Alice isn’t white either but go off.

NO, HE ISNT. Look at his parents as well. Dad is the General Secretary to that fascist in Brazil. Admar Gonzaga. His mother Sônia Gontijo isn’t white either. Henry isn’t white.
    Well he isn't Afro-latino and wasn't the right choice for Sunspot. End of story.

I guess we can talk about this here as well New Mutants made 3 million on Friday and is project for 8 million dollars this weekend. New Mutants cost about 67 million to make so things are looking grim for it.

Also it has 29% Critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes but even worse it has 59% with audience which is truest indicator of how film is going to perform, For context the new Bill and Ted which also out now got 79% and 81% from critics and the audience. Bill and Ted has made 1 million dollars if you are curious.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-30-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I guess we can talk about this here as well New Mutants made 3 million on Friday and is project for 8 million dollars. New Mutants cost about 67 million to make so things are looking grim for it.

Also it has 29% Critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes but even worse it has 59% with audience which is truest indicator of how film is going to perform, For context the new Bill and Ted which also out now got 79% and 81% from critics and the audience. Bill and Ted has made 1 million dollars if you are curious.
    I mean there was probably a reason Marvel wanted to keep it in the dungeon. I haven't seen it myself but two of my relatives basically trashed the film. I thought it was just anecdotal, though unusual to say they outright disliked it since they are usually less critical then I am about films, but if other people are saying the same guess it makes sense.

Can't say I feel sorry for the director though, not after his comments. I do feel a bit sad for fans of the franchise, myself included, that this might ruin the chance of it getting a real film in the future.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Well he isn't Afro-latino and wasn't the right choice for Sunspot. End of story.
    This basically.

So its another whitewashed role. I dont know what Boone was thinking here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I mean there was probably a reason Marvel wanted to keep it in the dungeon. I haven't seen it myself but two of my relatives basically trashed the film. I thought it was just anecdotal, though unusual to say they outright disliked it since they are usually less critical then I am about films, but if other people are saying the same guess it makes sense.

Can't say I feel sorry for the director though, not after his comments. I do feel a bit sad for fans of the franchise, myself included, that this might ruin the chance of it getting a real film in the future.
    They should have released it to streaming.

It doesn't seem like something I'll go to see in theatres but could watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I guess we can talk about this here as well New Mutants made 3 million on Friday and is project for 8 million dollars this weekend. New Mutants cost about 67 million to make so things are looking grim for it.

And this movie has made a lot more than that.

Sooo... Bill and Ted is an epic flop?

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.