Page 371 of 386 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375381 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 5790
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    The same types of things could have been said about Rahne or Sam, but were they? Did she ‘bully’ them about that?
    What insults did Magik say about Rahne and Sam's race?

It doesn't even make much sense that a Russian teenager would know about Standing Rock and Pocahontas. Ffs, most Russian kids learn about Pocahontas from the Disney movie.

Yes, Illyana was racist in the movie. I still enjoyed the movie though as it shows even racists can be heroes once they put aside their differences.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    The same types of things could have been said about Rahne or Sam, but were they? Did she ‘bully’ them about that?
    Did Sam and Illyana even have a scene together other than the main fight scene and group scenes? I'm not sure if I recall any. She's antagonized Rahne and calling her a dog and you could take what she said about religion as a put down towards Rahne, but there was also a lack of scenes between them. What was shown was Dani and Illyana.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It doesn't even make much sense that a Russian teenager would know about Standing Rock and Pocahontas. Ffs, most Russian kids learn about Pocahontas from the Disney movie.
    Not actually being able to understand how to ask someone about being Native American seems realistic for someone from outside the US and their understanding of Native American culture coming from movies. That's no excuse, but the idea of someone in that situation being politically correct is not realistic. And Illyana doesn't care if she's being rude and obnoxious. She wouldn't apologize.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 09-01-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randomideaguy View Post
    RE: Racism in the movie
    I'm.just as bit Native as Hunt and her casting Is not the vibe....
    +
    spoilers:
    Preeeeeeetty sure the opening Native proverb is totally wrong
    end of spoilers
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/twowayp...retendians/amp
    https://kispesan.tumblr.com/post/166...pean-with-part
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Did Sam and Illyana even have a scene together other than the main fight scene and group scenes? I'm not sure if I recall any. She's antagonized Rahne and calling her a dog and you could take what she said about religion as a put down towards Rahne, but there was also a lack of scenes between them. What was shown was Dani and Illyana.
    Uh none of that is a form of racism in any way shape or form....

Not actually being able to understand how to ask someone about being Native American seems realistic for someone from outside the US and their understanding of Native American culture coming from movies. That's no excuse, but the idea of someone in that situation being politically correct is not realistic. And Illyana doesn't care if she's being rude and obnoxious. She wouldn't apologize.
    uh but she knew how to interact with everyone else without being a bigot. I'm sure if they'd been other minorities there she'd have the same kinda bigoted attitude towards them....smdh Was she trying to get to know about her culture was she really that interested? No+ she knew enough about Native Americans to reference their relationship with the Buffalo in a condescending way
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    uh but she knew how to interact with everyone else without being a bigot. I'm sure if they'd been other minorities there she'd have the same kinda bigoted attitude towards them....smdh Was she trying to get to know about her culture was she really that interested? No+ she knew enough about Native Americans to reference their relationship with the Buffalo in a condescending way
    No matter who else was there, Illyana would have been an b***h to them, manipulated them for her entertainment and said mean things until they left her alone and feared her. She's the cliche bullying mean girl.

She's not interested in getting to know any of them except slightly Roberto. She has no respect for anyone else.

spoilers:

How Dani reacts to what Illyana says is part of the problem with saying these are overt racism. Maybe the issue is Blu's performance, but the react isn't showing that the character is taking this as incredibly insulting or degrading.

If I recall correctly, Rahne throws cereal at Illyana in reaction to her saying something obnoxious to Dani. Maybe it's not like Rahne to beat someone up over an insult, but it's not a serious scene.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 09-02-2020 at 02:08 AM.

No matter who else was there, Illyana would have been an b***h to them, manipulated them for her entertainment and said mean things until they left her alone and feared her. She's the cliche bullying mean girl.

She's not interested in getting to know any of them except slightly Roberto. She has no respect for anyone else.
    Dh so that's the 13th reason why Zaga was cast!
    GrindrStone(D)

Dh so that's the 13th reason why Zaga was cast!
    spoilers:

Illyana/Roberto is definitely set-up as one of the couples and probably the main couple in the next movies with Rahne & Dani moving to the background. Zaga was likely cast since he's a generic vaguely ethnic prettyboy who Fox execs and Boone figured could was an up & comer who could be signed for a cheap multi-picture deal. They knew Anya would break out and likely had her pegged as their next Jennifer Lawrence.

A lesbian couple and an interracial couple in a franchise that needs international box office results? That's not happening.

end of spoilers

spoilers:

How Dani reacts to what Illyana says is part of the problem with saying these are overt racism. Maybe the issue is Blu's performance, but the react isn't showing that the character is taking this as incredibly insulting or degrading.

If I recall correctly, Rahne throws cereal at Illyana in reaction to her saying something obnoxious to Dani. Maybe it's not like Rahne to beat someone up over an insult, but it's not a serious scene.
    end of spoilers
    If she made comments about everyone’s backgrounds you’d have an argument. With regards to Dani’s response, I know so many people (including myself) who put up with racist comments in their teens because we didn’t know that we deserved to be treated better.

This article has a section that talks about projection as a cause of racism. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-behind-racism

I’m not in the camp that thinks this ruins Illyana, but I just feel like it was unneeded. Also if Illyana and Dani were coworkers, then Illyana’s comments would definitely be considered illegal racial harassment.

“Under federal law it is illegal to harass a person in any aspect of employment because of that person’s race or color. Harassment can include racial slurs, offensive or derogatory remarks about a person’s race or color, or the display of racially-offensive symbols.“

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    She debuted in O:ZT, she never supported Bastian's agenda. In fact, a few pages into her debut she was attacked by Prime Sentinels who wanted to kill her. If her power wasn't what it was she'd have died right then and there. She's for mutant rights, she's just upset that her life got destroyed because of the dangers involved in the war between mutants and humanity. It's a very sympathetic and contemporary response. She's a doctor first, not a super-hero. That's all she's wanted to be. IIRC Xavier had tried to recruit her off-panel and she rejected it because she wanted to be a civilian doctor, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not because she didn't agree with the X-men.
    In the first panel we see her a co-worker(who LIKES Storm) asks her what she thinks of the Xmen, and she tells him she thinks mutants are a problem that needs to be dealt with. One can argue it's just an act... but it feels like an oddly extreme PoV for what was a previously light hearted conversation. Then later she talks about how "it's time the Xmen, al mutants, got what they deserve." This again was her talking to co-workers.

HOLEEE sh!t Dude....what defines her being black? How about her damn Skin color??? Her Hair!
    Ok fine, you want to go there?
    human-skin-color-fitzpatrick-CeciliaReyes.jpg
    Light to medium brown hair and skin... on a character that describes herself as Hispanic.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Light to medium brown hair and skin... on a character that describes herself as Hispanic.
    Cecilia would call Storm "sister" in that issue where she was operating Scott in the Mansion. So she sees herself as black. I do not know why are we even discussing this.
    And hispanic is a multi ethnic culture, not a race or single ethnicity. Granted, in some hispanic countries "mulato" (biracial) is kinda its own identity, but in the States? Cecilia is black and that is the end of the story.
    In that same image you post you can see Pacheco trying to give some texture to her hair.

Can I ask you a question? What's the point of trying to prove Cecilia Reyes isn't (at least partially) black. If you do a quick google search on her than she's drawn with black features and (traditionally) black hairstyles. In addition, they initially cast Rosario Dawson, who is Afro-Latina.

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

Anyone catch the Buffy references in the movie?

First one I believe was from Season 5’s The Body (might be wrong), and then the second was obviously Season 4’s “Hush”.

Astonishing Member

In the first panel we see her a co-worker(who LIKES Storm) asks her what she thinks of the Xmen, and she tells him she thinks mutants are a problem that needs to be dealt with. One can argue it's just an act... but it feels like an oddly extreme PoV for what was a previously light hearted conversation. Then later she talks about how "it's time the Xmen, al mutants, got what they deserve." This again was her talking to co-workers.
    I take what she said with a mountain of salt because as soon as the news about O:ZT was on they all supported it, and she was only annoyed with Bobby showing up because she didn't want anything to do with the X-men nothing about him being a mutant. We also only saw a snippet of her normal life before everything got ruined by O:ZT.