Page 372 of 386 FirstFirst ... 272322362368369370371372373374375376382 ... LastLast
Results 5,566 to 5,580 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Can I ask you a question? What's the point of trying to prove Cecilia Reyes isn't (at least partially) black. If you do a quick google search on her than she's drawn with black features and (traditionally) black hairstyles. In addition, they initially cast Rosario Dawson, who is Afro-Latina.
    People decided they wanted to bash the character casting.... on a character whose depictions in the comics don't match what they demand the character to be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    What insults did Magik say about Rahne and Sam's race?
    That’s what I was asking. The poster said Magik could have said things like that to rahne and Sam. But could have implies she never actually did. So why make Dani the only one to get ethnic based insults? That is suspect

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    That’s what I was asking. The poster said Magik could have said things like that to rahne and Sam. But could have implies she never actually did. So why make Dani the only one to get ethnic based insults? That is suspect
    to my memory Magik didn't say things like that to Rahne or Sam (she at one point did call Rahne "dog" though)
    the way I saw the name calling in the movie, yes directed at Dani was to provoke her into using powers Dani claimed she didn't know she had or how to use - that pure and simple
    now I"m checking out before I get lambasted for my opinion on the matter

Quote Originally Posted by Meta jon View Post
    to my memory Magik didn't say things like that to Rahne or Sam (she at one point did call Rahne "dog" though)
    the way I saw the name calling in the movie, yes directed at Dani was to provoke her into using powers Dani claimed she didn't know she had or how to use - that pure and simple
    That’s actually the most reasonable explanation for it that I’ve heard. Still out of pocket, but it makes sense within the context of the movie.

Extraordinary Member

That’s actually the most reasonable explanation for it that I’ve heard. Still out of pocket, but it makes sense within the context of the movie.
    Yeah. Especially when 'you don't know your powers' was also a really common insult she threw out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    Yes, Illyana was racist in the movie. I still enjoyed the movie though as it shows even racists can be heroes once they put aside their differences.
    For no reason at all

not even her characer to be that way

Astonishing Member

I apologise. I agree with you on this.

delete

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Since Dani was the new kid (and Magik may or may not have had suspicions of what she could do), Magik did seem esp. interested in tearing her down, while the others were people she'd known for awhile and seemed to have settled her level of contempt for them. As noted, she does call Rane a dog a lot, so she clearly had no problem bullying them if she wanted to. Also worth noting that Dani and Roberto were the only non-white members of the group and she seemed to dislike Roberto the least.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

You are going to have forgive me this is going to turn into small Cecilia Reyes appreciation section I saw a comment and the thought process which is built on pure ignorance that I really didn't want to addresses but I have to address because people keep doing it. It is not a debate Cecilia Reyes is Afro Latina this has been established. Going she is Hispanic (which means from a Spanish speaking Country) or Latino( refers to person from area called Latin America) does meaning anything towards race and skin color. For more context Brazil, Guyana and Suriname places with large black populations is consider part area called "Latin America". People from Spain aren't Latino but people from Spain are Hispanic. People from Brazil aren't Hispanic because the primary language is Portuguese but they are consider Latino because the area is part of Latin America.

Now lets talk about Puerto Rico, Hati/Dominican Republic, and Cuba( we can throw in Brazil too because it applies to them but a lesser degree). Each of these places where involved in the slave trade and decent amount population are heavily mixed between the three races that were around so very few families aren't intermixed with Amerindian (Taino/Carib/Arawaks), White descendants of Spain or other European country and African Slaves. To talk about Puerto Rico specifically on the last census 71% percent of Puerto Ricans marked White only on the census. Genetically when they did a study on people there 65% Puerto Ricans have maternal line of Taino. 20% of the average Puerto Rican population has some African descent.

If you are curious the point of this exercise it is simply to point a lot of people from Latino background have African Descent which many don't claim or realize. It is that is back drop for conversions about race with some Latino people that gets annoying to talk about sometimes. Plus with term Black aka from African descent having negative stereotype and what people once called Africa Americans many people who are Latino want nothing to do with being called black. Which bring us to Cecilia Reyes and someone going she is not Black, She looks Latino/Hispanic to me not having the context of all the things mention above swearing they are right.

Anyways Cecila luckily has had consistent portrayal as Afro Latina and you will struggle to find her being lighten and not clearly looking like she has some African Descent aka Afro Latina

Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-02-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Sorry for triple post but the point need to be made clearly. The character has historically been shown with dark skin. The Actor playing her looks nothing like Cece, Heck Rosario Dawson was even a stretch but at least Rosario is actually Afro Latino. Anyways I have made my point and I am moving on this topic. I won't be responding to debate something that is establish fact.

Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-02-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Dang had to switch up my post due to the awesome posts above....You killed it KB911!!

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    In the first panel we see her a co-worker(who LIKES Storm) asks her what she thinks of the Xmen, and she tells him she thinks mutants are a problem that needs to be dealt with. One can argue it's just an act... but it feels like an oddly extreme PoV for what was a previously light hearted conversation. Then later she talks about how "it's time the Xmen, al mutants, got what they deserve." This again was her talking to co-workers.
    Dude the government was rounding mutants up and 'Getting rid of them As a mutant who is in hiding She'd want to throw any suspicion off her so yeah she went along with the crowd...Ive been in the exact same spot when I was younger and not comfortable with being gay....The amount of **** I talked about other Queers was redick. Its an obvious survival tactic
    Ok fine, you want to go there?
    Attachment 100302
    Light to medium brown hair and skin... on a character that describes herself as Hispanic.
    Wow So noooow We're doing the paper bag test?redonkulous
    Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Cecilia would call Storm "sister" in that issue where she was operating Scott in the Mansion. So she sees herself as black. I do not know why are we even discussing this.
    And hispanic is a multi ethnic culture, not a race or single ethnicity. Granted, in some hispanic countries "mulato" (biracial) is kinda its own identity, but in the States? Cecilia is black and that is the end of the story.
    In that same image you post you can see Pacheco trying to give some texture to her hair.

Yeah here you see the Black dude who likes Storm calling her a "sister" Celicia herself calls her that twice....I guess if you're not AA you prob wouldnt know the "Brother...Sister" are slang words many AA call each other.....a few decades ago but nonetheless
    Can I ask you a question? What's the point of trying to prove Cecilia Reyes isn't (at least partially) black. If you do a quick google search on her than she's drawn with black features and (traditionally) black hairstyles. In addition, they initially cast Rosario Dawson, who is Afro-Latina.
    I feel like people cant seem to accept a character is black if said character doesnt act or behave in a sterotypical way.....but Im honestly guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meta jon View Post
    Yeahhh after seeing the movie this is the most reasonable explanation....It still felt like an odd way to go about it tho....esp giving the casting etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Also worth noting that Dani and Roberto were the only non-white members of the group and she seemed to dislike Roberto the least.
    .....But Henry Zaga the actor play Roberto is white
    People decided they wanted to bash the character casting.... on a character whose depictions in the comics don't match what they demand the character to be.
    and now....
    Last edited by BroHomo; 09-03-2020 at 12:30 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Dang had to switch up my post due to the awesome posts above....You killed it KB911!!
    We honestly have stop indulging people on discussion the blackness of character.

Oh yeah this is first very appearance of Cecilia Reyes ever if I remember correctly

Just for fun a quote from Scott Lobdell in Bleed Cool interview on Teen Titans- (I am trying to find initial interview on CeCe)

I'll say this: if the comic industry never created another young white male super hero, we'd be okay. Not that I have anything against them, but I don't think the over abundance of them reflect the world we live in.

So yes, the three characters who are not the Core Four are "diverse" — even the villain in the second issue is Samoan, and the forth member of the Outlaws is a young black man.

What kind of stories does that suggest? It almost sounds like a trick question, LOL. I think it suggests stories that take place in a "real world" where not every president or pop star or neighbor is a young white male. But I don't think there are inherently different types of stories that are told because there are black or Japanese or Mexican super heroes fight alongside Robin and Wondergirl.

Over the years I've shared in the creation of a handful of super heroes that have been "diverse"… Skin, Mondo, Cecilia Reyes, Synch, the unfortunately named Maggot, Noir over in Wildcats, Puck's daughter, Centennial and M to name a few. Do I do it on purpose? Honestly, yes… because I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to pick up a comic book and not see "yourself" reflected on the pages.

At Marvel I used to argue you can't have a team sub-titled "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and then have no people of color represented. "Really? Seven billion people on the planet and you can't find one of them that isn't white to put on a team of Earth's Mightiest Heroes? On Earth. On all of earth?" One editor even told me "Vision is red!" Seriously.

Spectacular Member

I think someone needs to say something about the racist casting...not enough discussions about this!