Page 4 of 386 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

If there was one Claremont story I'd want to see adapted, it's the Demon Bear Saga.

Magik, Mirage, and Cannonball are the absolute must-haves. With Magik there's a question of how they handle the supernatural element. I can't see them calling it New Mutants and not being mostly Claremont's characters. Otherwise 'Generation X' or 'New X-Men' would make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    New Mutants, leading to meeting Cable, leading to X-Force?
    Do we dare to dream?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Keep in mind that the New X-Men originally began as a volume of New Mutants, and these members of the NXM all made their first appearance in New Mutants Vol. 2:

Hellion
    Wallflower
    Wind Dancer
    Surge
    Wither
    Prodigy
    Elixir
    Anole
    Rockslide
    Mercury

Of the characters I would consider the "core" group (KYost's run), only Dust and X-23 originated outside of New Mutants (Dust in NXM Vol. 1, and X in NYX). So technically, including most of the NXM WOULD still make it a New Mutants film.
    It would be cool but not sure they will do that unless they are some background characters or cameos. The movies tend to use really old material from the time the writers read comics which is like the 80's and early 90's and a lot of that group besides X-23 probably don't have a big enough name to be on their radar. With the studio love of Wolverine it's possible they'd want a Wolverine like character. Prodigy might make the cut for the token black character although his power is boring. That said they had Darwin (Seriously who?) in First Class who is basically the same. Rockslide i can see as the special effects character and comic relief. Maybe Mercury. The rest not so much Surge i feel has no chance since the original New Mutants have the token asian girl and Jubilee already exists so they could just turn to her. Plus Surge doesn't have the name despite being a main cast character in part of New Mutants vol 2,Academy X and New X Men she's faded into obscurity.

Spectacular Member

X-23 will take over from Wolverine. Jubilee will be her mentor. They'll start the New Mutants to help the X-Men. Phalanx Covenant mixed with a more militant view?

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    If there was one Claremont story I'd want to see adapted, it's the Demon Bear Saga.

Magik, Mirage, and Cannonball are the absolute must-haves. With Magik there's a question of how they handle the supernatural element. I can't see them calling it New Mutants and not being mostly Claremont's characters. Otherwise 'Generation X' or 'New X-Men' would make more sense.
    I would love to see Demon Bear adapted. Man I miss those old stories.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    But see, there is only one white man in the original team. Fox may not be willing to dare there. Its very POC and women heavy.
    That's always impressed me about the original New Mutants. A new team with three women and two men, instead of the more typical three to five guys and one or two gals? Where the only non-original character was Karma (previously seen in Spider-Man), an Asian woman, in an age where the 'new team formula' was 'two or three established dudes (Batman, Black Lightning, Metamorpho, Robin, Kid Flash, Beast Boy), maybe a single new guy (Geo-Force, Cyborg), and some brand new female characters nobody has ever heard of (Raven, Starfire, Halo, Katana)...'

Also Sam was pretty far from the average white guy, being not even *close* to being from New York City.

Sam, 'Berto, Rahne, Xian and Dani, all the way. That's plenty of powers and personality to build a movie around, without cluttering it up with later members, or mutants from other generations entirely (like Synch or X-23).

Magma might be a bit too much for the original group, powerwise (and the introduction of Nova Roma and Selene is too good a villain/location to blow past in a flashback). Ilyanna and her Belasco-backstory is similarly a story unto itself, and might be shortchanged as someone just shoehorned into a pre-existing group in media res. Warlock is way too powerful (oh, my dad tried to kill me a few days ago by *ripping a star in half and throwing part of it at me!*), way too whacky (IMO), and would eat up the entire special effects budget, in addition to not really being much of a mutant (ooh, he's nicer than the average technarch royalty. woo.). Plus he's, IMO, mostly relevant for his relationship to Doug, and his presence thus almost requires *two* limited character slots! (Even if there was one New Mutant I'd be willing to kick off the bus for Warlock, there sure aren't two!)

I'd love a 'New X-Men' show with Hellion, Dust, etc. as well, but am fine with a New Mutants movie being about the actual New Mutants, and not Generation X or the New X-Men or Kitty or Jubilee or any of a dozen other teen mutants I wouldn't mind seeing again (like Marrow or a few of the X-Terminators or few if any of the Fallen Angels...).

As for Generation X, again, they have a different flavor and tone, and Clive Barker can direct a movie about the mutant team that has stretchy skin (Skin), no skin at all (Penance), or rips off their skin to use their powers (Husk). Seriously, what's up with them and skin?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    The movies tend to use really old material from the time the writers read comics which is like the 80's and early 90's and a lot of that group besides X-23 probably don't have a big enough name to be on their radar.
    Three words:

Negasonic Teenage Warhead

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Three words:

Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    She is confirmed for Deadpool movie but I'm down for more of her even if she smell's like soup acording to Emma.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    She is confirmed for Deadpool movie but I'm down for more of her even if she smell's like soup acording to Emma.
    That was my point. It's not like Fox hasn't already dipped into an INCREDIBLY deep well of obscure as it is.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

That was my point. It's not like Fox hasn't already dipped into an INCREDIBLY deep well of obscure as it is.
    I get it but I think the real reason for Fox using her is to be cheap. Give her a Goth look have her say she is seeing the future or reading a mind, but they don't have to drop out money on another costume or spec effects. X-23 would be cool but claws and damage effects cost more to show.

Flashy powers may not be such an issue for Fox but that's my theory.
    Last edited by Darth Phoenix; 05-14-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Perhaps they might set it in the modern time ("restored" timeline after DOFP) and include the few young mutants from that (Sunspot, Blink, and Warpath), and then also add a handful of the original New Mutants (perhaps Cannonball, Mirage, and Wolfsbane)?

There may be problems with this approach. The Sunspot in DOFP has powers similar to Cannonball, Magma, and the Human Torch, and really little of his own (sort of makes Magma redundant, unless ou reworked her powerset to be mostly about the ground and not the fire). Speaking of Magma, her backstory is so strange that, while it works in the comics medium, it would be out of place in a movie of this tone.

Wolfsbane would be great though. We've not really had any were-animals in the movies yet, and her backstory is wrought with intolerance against mutants that warped her mind so terribly, that I would love to see on the big screen.

And I welcome any opportunity to play up the teenage drama that was so essential to Claremont's New Mutants. The other X-movies did play with those ideas a bit (Pyro's rebelliousness, Rogue's self-consciousness, the Rogue-Iceman-Kitty love triange, etc.) But a New Mutants movie can have real teen angst.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

About Magma, I have one thing to say in regards to origins:

X-Men Legends.

Spectacular Member

I think they are going to mix and match as they feel.I think that is probably a good idea the original guys are good but they can pull from entire pool of mutants which gives them chance at using the best powers and personalities. Since the Xmen movies have never follow comic storylines closely I don't see any storyline being sacred enough to keep original group new mutants together.I think expecting people Canonball,Mirage,Wolfsbane,etc are setting themselves for disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Roberto, Rahne, Sam, Dani and Karma. I hope they start with the originals but i'm sure Fox is going to include Allen Page (Kitty) in the film. I wish i could master some enthusiasm but i just can't. There hasn't been even one X-Movie that has made me walk in cloud nine after watching them. So whatever they churn up i guess i'll give it a look see. Such a shame because CC's writing in New Mutants is soooooooooooo cinematic that they dont even need to do that much work.
    All of this. Even the more fantastic stories would make pretty good translations. Could be interesting depending on how far into Vol. 1 they go. Remember Magneto led the team for a while. I would like them to keep the 80's theme but probably unlikely. First Class did the 60's period convincingly, DOFP for the 70's notsomuch.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Spectacular Member Holland Oates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Roberto, Rahne, Sam, Dani and Karma. I hope they start with the originals but i'm sure Fox is going to include Allen Page (Kitty) in the film. I wish i could master some enthusiasm but i just can't. There hasn't been even one X-Movie that has made me walk in cloud nine after watching them. So whatever they churn up i guess i'll give it a look see. Such a shame because CC's writing in New Mutants is soooooooooooo cinematic that they dont even need to do that much work.
    What do you have against Ellen Page?