Page 52 of 386 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Sunspot's heritage/origin from the New Mutants GN is irrelevant. The movie isn't going to touch on Brazilian racial politics. Sunspot is a mulatto. Henry Zaga easily passes for one.

BANNED

So we can just make Colossus British I assume right....

I will let the Brazilians comment on "Mulatto" in the context of Brazil.

But there is no way in hell that Zaga passes as "Mulatto" for lack of a better term Black/White in the USA.
    Not at all.

European or a Light Skinned Latino Sure.
    Mulatto. Absolutely Not.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    You cannot be flipping serious with a comment like that.
    I hope you ponder my comment and come to grips with why you actually disagree with it and then can express and articulate the reasons why.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    So we can just make Colossus British I assume right....
    I mean, he wasn't really identifiable as Russian in 3 movies, so...

...bad example?

My excitement for this film drops more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Sunspot's heritage/origin from the New Mutants GN is irrelevant. The movie isn't going to touch on Brazilian racial politics. Sunspot is a mulatto. Henry Zaga easily passes for one.
    "Mulatto" carries a very unfortunate charge here, I'd avoid using it as it started as a derrogatory term that compared mixed race people to mules. In our context, Sunspot would be viewed as black, so let's just call him that.
    This actor is white by our standards. I'd honestly have prefered an Afro American actor than whitewashing Roberto so much.
    And this is all coming from a white guy. Black people and white people sadly live very different realities in Brazil (the whole world, obviously) and it feels very wrong to accept a blatant whitewashing simply because they got the nationality right.
    Brazillians aren't all black and this guy sure isn't.

BANNED

Not a bad point Star.

So he is not Half Black/Half White in the Brazilian context and he is not in the American context.
    Case Closed.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

It's still white washing. They are taking a character who is black and decided to cast someone who isn't. And "he'll pass for someone who could be mulatto" is hardly satisfactory. Don't get me wrong, Henry Zaga might do a good job and there are other characteristics besides race that matter too, but I'm skeptical that they couldn't have found someone even better.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Part 9 of my X-MEN mix focuses on Rosario Dawson casting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    "Mulatto" carries a very unfortunate charge here, I'd avoid using it as it started as a derrogatory term that compared mixed race people to mules. In our context, Sunspot would be viewed as black, so let's just call him that.
    This actor is white by our standards. I'd honestly have prefered an Afro American actor than whitewashing Roberto so much.
    And this is all coming from a white guy. Black people and white people sadly live very different realities in Brazil (the whole world, obviously) and it feels very wrong to accept a blatant whitewashing simply because they got the nationality right.
    Brazillians aren't all black and this guy sure isn't.
    Henry Zaga clearly isn't white. Anyway, Sunspot is half white, and his skin color changes constantly from artist to artist. You can't whitewash a half white character with a non-white actor.

BANNED

You are going to tell the actual Brazilian about Race in Brazil. The Balls on this one.

You got a degree Vegan to back up your expertise?

BANNED

My reading of the movie was that the Charles killed or crippled pretty much everyone in the area 15-20 years ago except Wolverine. And its been at least a decade since we saw New Mutants actually born.
    You can head canon all you want. The film (and Mangold) is still the ultimate authority on ACTUAL canon. If Westchester happened only a year before the film proper, and only killed 7 people, then it happened only a year before and only 7 people died.

BANNED

You are going to tell the actual Brazilian about Race in Brazil. The Balls on this one.
    I mean, I have eyes. Henry Zaga ain't white. And I live in one of the most diverse cities in the world.

You got a degree Vegan to back up your expertise?
    Nah, I dropped out of college
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 05-26-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Henry Zaga clearly isn't white. Anyway, Sunspot is half white, and his skin color changes constantly from artist to artist. You can't whitewash a half white character with a non-white actor.
    But Henry Saga still isn't black.

Sunspot is Afro-Brazillian. This guys is far from that. He is a white Brazillian and that's it. Sunspot doesn't look that white even when colorists whitewash him.