Page 53 of 386 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I mean, I have eyes. Henry Zaga ain't white. And I live in one of the most diverse cities in the world.

Nah, I dropped out of college
    "Ain't white" is not race accurate enough ...sorry...we won't call it white washing ok...but it is of the exact same nature. Replacing a african brazilian dark skinned character with a hal brazilian very light skinned with more caucasian features...it's kind of racist...sorry.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Sunspot is Afro-Brazillian. This guys is far from that. He is a white Brazillian and that's it. Sunspot doesn't look that white even when colorists whitewash him.
    No, Sunspot is multiracial. Henry Zaga isn't white. Sunspot doesn't look that black to be honest.

No, Sunspot is multiracial. Henry Zaga isn't white. Sunspot doesn't look that black to be honest.
    Sunspot is multiracial. But as someone who read all the original issues when they came out, in those original New Mutants issues themselves, he was colored as African characters are usually colored in comics. Coloring itself in comics was more primitive then, but that was how they depicted him at the time.

On the other hand, he always seemed to me to be drawn with western facial features, as opposed to say, Bishop, who had obviously African facial features. Which is to say, if you looked at a pencil sketch of Bishop, you could tell he was of African ethnicity, but Sunspot, not so much.

The creators of the film obviously felt that because of the multiracial angle, there were any number of casting options for Sunspot.

I myself am neutral about it. But based upon the very strong feelings some people have here in regard to this, I'm going to guess that when publicity for the movie hits mainstream media, there's going to be an issue about the casting. Remember the thing with making the Ancient One a white woman?

Not a good start for the movie on that account, I'd wager. I'll still see it myself, but who knows how it could ultimately play out?
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 05-26-2017 at 11:55 PM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Not a good start for the movie on that account, I'd wager. I'll still see it myself, but who knows how it could ultimately play out?
    Unfortunately now I see the movie being a commercial flop after the light skin Sunspot/Mirage being officially announced.

Hopefully the actual actors won't take the venom they are about to receive personal

Like said earlier, Henry Zaga is a light skin Mestizo so casting him isn't an example of White washing but stereotyping. In my view he'd be a better fit for characters like Rictor or Victor Mancha instead of Sunspot.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

He does when he's colored correctly. This is actually a very sensitive issue with Marvel outside of the movie, which is precisely why I have such a concern about it here.

Here is his first appearance. Would you agree with your statement that he doesn't look that black?

Bobby.jpg
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    He does when he's colored correctly. This is actually a very sensitive issue with Marvel outside of the movie, which is precisely why I have such a concern about it here.

Here is his first appearance. Would you agree with your statement that he doesn't look that black?

Bobby.jpg
    But....but that don't count!!

And that coloring? Been consistent for decades until someone had the bright idea to lighten his skin.

There are Brazilians who LOOK like him and have the same ancestry.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-26-2017 at 05:44 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Unfortunately now I see the movie being a commercial flop after the light skin Sunspot/Mirage being officially announced.

Hopefully the actual actors won't take the venom they are about to receive personal
    Yep, only thing this movie will be associated with from now on is "no costumes" and "whitewashing".

Here is another picture of Henry Zaga, since the picture that factor posted had a lot of lighting and makeup
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C24U35NVQAAba_3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Here is another picture of Henry Zaga, since the picture that factor posted had a lot of lighting and makeup
    Okay. But he's still not black.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    No difference.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post

A commercial flop because of the supposed whitewashing? Most people don't care about this stuff, and these are D-list characters.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    But....but that don't count!!

And that coloring? Been consistent for decades until someone had the bright idea to lighten his skin.
    It was consistent for a decade until they gave him more Caucasian features and lighter skin. He's been that way much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    There are Brazilians who LOOK like him and have the same ancestry.
    Yes, but are any of them qualified actors? Go find these imaginary Afro-Brazilian boys who can act and shoot the producers an email

Astonishing Member

I guess I should ask, before I say more how 'strong' is this rumor? Is it confirmed yet? What's the basis?

BANNED

A commercial flop because of the supposed whitewashing? Most people don't care about this stuff, and these are D-list characters.
    Ghost in the Shell flopped because of whitewashing.

Marvel can get away with this because they have an army of fanboys who will excuse anything, but with Fox people already want the movie to fail from the start so the rights revert and this is perfect ammo.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Fans are already in Boone's IG comments complaining. It'll get bad when people realize who Blu is playing.

I love Rosario but I fear she's being used as a cover for all this. Idc about the castings but everyone else does.

"KEEP Sunspot black! @joshboonemovies". It's a bunch of em

This has to be why he quit Twitter early
    Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 05-26-2017 at 06:19 PM.