Page 54 of 386 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Ghost in the Shell flopped because of whitewashing.
    It flopped because it was a shitty movie.

Marvel can get away with this because they have an army of fanboys who will excuse anything, but with Fox people already want the movie to fail from the start so the rights revert and this is perfect ammo.
    You mean a minority of fanboys who barely qualify as people. Most people couldn't give a hoot which studio has the rights.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    It flopped because it was a shitty movie.
    It was a shitty movie, but the marketing department was never able to move discussion away from the whitewashing debacle.

You mean a minority of fanboys who barely qualify as people. Most people couldn't give a hoot which studio has the rights.
    A minority of people is still able to greatly influence what the production narrative is going to be. If a movie is mired in controversy or fan backlash, that is what's going to be discussed in every article and review that is read by the mainstream.

If a movie is mired in controversy or fan backlash, that is what's going to be discussed in every article and review that is read by the mainstream.
    I have a growing apprehension that you may very well be proven correct on this account.

Too bad. I've been with the New Mutants since Annual #4 came out in 1982. I was, then, the same age as some of the characters. Long time to be a fan. Never guessed then that there would ever—could ever—be a New Mutants movie.

If it tanks before it even has a chance, that will be sad.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 05-26-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Incredible Member

It was consistent for a decade until they gave him more Caucasian features and lighter skin. He's been that way much longer.
    Decades. Plural. Several books. Darker skin tone. Just like daddy. (And again, do you NOT see the recent art with darker skin? Please.)

He had darker skin for far longer than what you're saying. Hence people going "WTH" when the skin was changed.

http://comicsalliance.com/sunspot-ne...-whitewashing/
    http://comicsalliance.com/100-x-men-...s-great-x-men/

And this issue? Been around long before this movie. Your "He's been that way much longer" is not even remotely true.

Yes, but are any of them qualified actors? Go find these imaginary Afro-Brazilian boys who can act and shoot the producers an email
    "Imaginary Afro-Brazilian boys"? Really? That's mad ignorant
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-26-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Ghost in the Shell flopped because of whitewashing.
    I doubt that. But Ghost in the Shell flopped because it's a niche story that was marketed poorly to mass audiences so they didn't know what the movie was about. It also didn't get great reviews or have good word of mouth even if you leave aside the whitewashing thing.

On the other hand, whitewashing criticism of Doctor Strange didn't seem to hurt it.

I'd be disappointed if they cast an actor who isn't at least part black, but I'm not anticipating that it'll be a major factor in box office return.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

It was a shitty movie, but the marketing department was never able to move discussion away from the whitewashing debacle.

A minority of people is still able to greatly influence what the production narrative is going to be. If a movie is mired in controversy or fan backlash, that is what's going to be discussed in every article and review that is read by the mainstream.
    This is a Western comic book movie though, popular with all the hipsters on the internet so it'll get a free pass over everything. GitS suffered from hoards of butthurt weaboos (who amazingly displayed a surprising lack of knowledge about the franchise), angry that the perfect Japanese master race wasn't represented in the lead role so the could worship their perfect Japanese goddess. In comparison Jubilee was almost cut out of another movie and nobody really cared about the lack of time given to an Asian role.

There are not enough marvel comic book fans to kick up a stink because somebody is the wrong shade of Brazilian from the one they remember from the comics in the 80's, nobody would care anyway comics aren't cool, comics are for framing and putting on your wall in your hipster pad. The majority of people who see this movie won't have a clue about the comic and I doubt Brazilians are on SJW's radar because they consider Latinos to be white even if they come in many shades including white. And they won't have a famous Asian who's career is slowly fading out being butthurt for some attention.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Other sites picking up on Kurt Lebeau's original tip

Screenrant

comicbook.com/

wegotthiscovered

Yes, but are any of them qualified actors? Go find these imaginary Afro-Brazilian boys who can act and shoot the producers an email
    So we just gonna assume that out of all the black actors in Brazil, non of them are qualified? This what we're doing?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    So we just gonna assume that out of all the black actors in Brazil, non of them are qualified? This what we're doing?
    I'm not questioning their qualifications, just their existence.

Incredible Member

I know right?

I'm just shaking my head at all of this.

I'm not questioning their qualifications, just their existence.
    Their existence? What does that even mean?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Other sites picking up on Kurt Lebeau's original tip

Screenrant

comicbook.com/

wegotthiscovered
    Kurt LeBeau is Christopher M.?

BANNED

I already tried to point out the various complications and questions about the auditions (Did anyone seek out an audition? Did Fox seek them out? Did they even fit the role in anything beyond just appearance? Did they have the chemistry with the existing cast during their screen test? Were they even available for the film?) and was dismissed as it being an excuse.

Ghost in the Shell flopped because of whitewashing..
    No, it flopped because it sucked ass, this is what i fear, people will blame the race of the actor/actress as the reason for the flop and not the directing or the script.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    No, it flopped because it sucked ass, this is what i fear, people will blame the race of the actor/actress as the reason for the flop and not the directing or the script.
    Pretty sure it flopped because it sucked AND whitewashing.