Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Storm #11 Final Review :(

If you haven't picked up the issue yet. I highly recommend you do ASAP. Spoilers will begin after this sentence. The issue picks up where it left off with Kenji conquering multiple locations (including the JGS) using his matter manipulation on a grand scale. It seemed he had succeeded in his plan, putting Storm in an uncompromising position. (or so we thought)Kenji then links Storm's mind showing her the horror he had spread around the world. It looked like a scene from Walking Dead lol. However to our surprise, Storm manages to link to the minds of Kenji's minions as well as Forge, Marisol and Callisto by tapping the the psionically conductive flesh he created. From here we once again see Storm use her weather manipulating powers in a HUGE way as she creates devastating weather in each location, except the JGS. Pulling such a feat off drained her tremendously, thus giving Kenji the advantage to take over and seemingly succeed once again. However Storm once again pulls an ace from her sleeve and pulls everyone to the Astral Plane. There Kenji was shown the complicated past Storm has had with Callisto, Forge and Marisol thus revealing the good nature trapped inside of kenji. In the real world, Kenji flesh begins to dematerialize and everything goes back to normal. The issue ends with a tender moment with Beast and a reference to the first issue, where Storm reminisces about living in the skies. A solid 9/10 for me. I

The Good
    Ibanez's art work was a solid touch for the finale and the issue definitely went out with a bang and it makes me even more sad that this was the last. Though I would have definitely went with a different villain, Kenji proved to be quite formidable in battle. My favorite part though was Storm tapping into the Earth's magnetic field to create crazy weather around the globe. She also pulls a stunt that has been in question for years about her powers, creating earthquakes. I also loved the tender moment we had with Beast. he has really grown on me through out the series and am glad Pak included him as a supporting character.

The Bad
    Though I do understand this is Storm's series, I do wish we could have seen a little more fight from the JGS staff, they went down a little too easily. I also felt this would have been a good opportunity to have one of the telepaths step up for the mindlink instead of Storm which seemed kinda out of the blue. But I do understand Storm has had years of training with telepaths such as Xavier and Jean so it is plausible for her to tap into Kenji's energy.

The Ugly
    Kenji and his minions LOL.

Overall very good issue. I enjoyed Pak's run and the development Storm so desperately needed. His characterization was great, I just wish he had more to work with. I hope that the series makes a return post Secret Wars because the series had so much potential.
    Last edited by Roddy010; 05-14-2015 at 09:05 PM.
    I don't care! I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what started the X-men.

BANNED

I think this issue was the strongest of the entire series. Here is something I posted in the "Storm" thread regarding her solo title:

'To be honest, I think 616 Storm will be back with her own solo title after the SW event is over. While I think Pak is done with Storm's book "for now", I have a feeling that he (or another writer) will be back on it come around September/ the fall. He stated in the interview that he did not want to spoil anything regarding Storm. Telling us of a new "Storm" title after SW would spoil the outcome of the current crossover event regarding Ororo's character.

Pak: "I had a tremendous time on the book and hugely appreciate Daniel bringing me on and fans like yourself supporting it so strongly. But I am indeed done with the series for now. I can't speak about what happens next with the character for fear of spoilers. "'

@Roddy (or anyone), where did you see the earthquake panel? I missed that. Also, she created an earthquake during Priest's run on "Black Panther" when she guest-starred, so we already knew she could control the tectonics of the world. I was wondering what she did to those Kenji creatures in that panel where it stated she tapped into the Earth's magnetic field.

EDIT:

NEVERMIND, Roddy, I THINK I FOUND WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!! AWESOME, MAN! I totally missed that and had to shout it out to ya for bringing it to my attention. HIGH FIVE!

It looks like she did more than just create an earthquake. I think Storm pulled lava out of the earth in the panel I believe you are referring to. You are talking about the "Africa" panel above the one where she froze the creatures in the Morlock tunnels, right? It looks like she also created a volcano there given how rocks and lava are being spit up into the air from the earth. I think its an earthquake/volcano combo!
    Last edited by rutog98; 05-13-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

So... The JGS Staff didn't get to help.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I think this issue was the strongest of the entire series. Here is something I posted in the "Storm" thread regarding her solo title:

'To be honest, I think 616 Storm will be back with her own solo title after the SW event is over. While I think Pak is done with Storm's book "for now", I have a feeling that he (or another writer) will be back on it come around September/ the fall. He stated in the interview that he did not want to spoil anything regarding Storm. Telling us of a new "Storm" title after SW would spoil the outcome of the current crossover event regarding Ororo's character.

Pak: "I had a tremendous time on the book and hugely appreciate Daniel bringing me on and fans like yourself supporting it so strongly. But I am indeed done with the series for now. I can't speak about what happens next with the character for fear of spoilers. "'

@Roddy (or anyone), where did you see the earthquake panel? I missed that. Also, she created an earthquake during Priest's run on "Black Panther" when she guest-starred, so we already knew she could control the tectonics of the world. I was wondering what she did to those Kenji creatures in that panel where it stated she tapped into the Earth's magnetic field.

EDIT:

NEVERMIND, Roddy, I THINK I FOUND WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!! AWESOME, MAN! I totally missed that and had to shout it out to ya for bringing it to my attention. HIGH FIVE!

It looks like she did more than just create an earthquake. I think Storm pulled lava out of the earth in the panel I believe you are referring to. You are talking about the "Africa" panel above the one where she froze the creatures in the Morlock tunnels, right? It looks like she also created a volcano there given how rocks and lava are being spit up into the air from the earth. I think its an earthquake/volcano combo!
    Indeed she did...

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Her powers were pretty EPIC in this issue. And with such precision. I'll post in more detail later on this evening.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Can I give my own review?
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So... The JGS Staff didn't get to help.
    Nope. This is a Storm solo title, not "Amazing X-Men" or "X-Men". Storm needed to beat the threat by herself. We get enough of Storm fighting foes in a team setting in various X-Men team books. We don't see to see it again in her own solo title. Rachel and the others should be glad that Kenji didn't take over their minds which would have forced Storm to lay the smack down on them as well!
    Last edited by rutog98; 05-13-2015 at 03:09 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    Sure, why not? I'd like to read everyone's reaction to the story.
    Last edited by rutog98; 05-13-2015 at 03:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Indeed she did...

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Her powers were pretty EPIC in this issue. And with such precision. I'll post in more detail later on this evening.
    Thanks for the scans! That is the panel I was referring to. When it comes to portraying Storm's powers, Pak has really SPOILED me with this series! I just CAN'T support "Lightning Lass" Storm. Well, I never could support LL Storm, but especially NOT after this!

Which issue would you guys say is the strongest of the whole "Storm" series?
    Last edited by rutog98; 05-13-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Indeed she did...

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Characterization aside, this was just so much win. Seems like my belief that Storm is all powerful does have some weight behind it

I wonder when will Kenji be back though..
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

ohhhh...kenji's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    You didn't like mine?! :P Sure go ahead and give us your insight.
    I don't care! I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what started the X-men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy010 View Post
    You didn't like mine?! :P Sure go ahead and give us your insight.
    Great review Roddy, I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    Great review Roddy, I enjoyed it.
    Thanks Arya so sad this is the final review for this series but I am glad we got 11 issues of development.

A well done finale. I loved those last few pages the most
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy010 View Post
    Thanks Arya so sad this is the final review for this series but I am glad we got 11 issues of development.
    Well done on the review Roddy010 . This final installment to her series was phenomenal for me. I thought at some point she was just going to give in and kill him, and was pleasantly surprised that found a way to help him see that she understood him and that he could redeem himself from his past, and write his own story.I was thinking that with all that power Kenji witnessed Storm display that he'd give up before she owned him. That hot lava and tossing his cyborg thingies off planet was so WOWOWOWOWWOW.

This series in general, but especially this issue, really demonstrates just how talented Pak and company are. This was a solid 10 for me.