Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Hickman Talks "Secret Wars" #2, Shines Light on Battleworld's Secrets

Jonathan Hickman talks with CBR about the events and major players of "Secret Wars" #2, revealing some of the secrets of patchwork planet known as Battleworld.

Full article here.

BANNED

This is the Victor Von Doom I remember. Not Bendis interpretation, not Rememders.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Yeah take note Fox, this is the Doom you should be utilising. The ruler, the leader, the genius, the would be god.

1163698-someoneelse.jpg

Expected someone else?

Embrace life the corporation of White Lanterns gives you welcome Doom.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Sounds like you're a fan of the Roger Stern and Mike Mignola's Doom and Strange graphic novel, "Triumph and Torment."

Who isn't, right?
    This. Doom and Strange have a history stretching practically forever. I welcome this shout-out to what I consider Stern's Magnum Opus.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Secret Wars #2 was just...it was just...we have been blessed, friends. We have been blessed with genius!

And if you mess this up, Hickman.

If you mess this up, there will be blood!

By which I mean we'll shoot a pig caucus onto your yard

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    This. Doom and Strange have a history stretching practically forever. I welcome this shout-out to what I consider Stern's Magnum Opus.
    Just by coincidence, when I met him in at C2E2 in Chicago, I had my color guides that I bought from an eBay transactions ages ago. I've got about 16 pages and I brought them with me when I got in the line to meet him. When I showed them to him he was delighted and said they were the coolest things he'd ever seen. I also presented him with a Tokidoki Doom as a keepsake and for being kind enough to do the Doom sketch cover of NA#1, the first appearance of the Black Swan and the incursion over Wakanda. He's a pretty cool guy to meet and he remembered me from his only other booking way back when he his first issues of the Fantastic Four and SHIELD were coming out.

step one is the inked version on a transparency. This is an old process that they used before the digital age, etc.

Then the coloring was painted on another drawing sheet.

And then you put the two together

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-13-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Just by coincidence, when I met him in at C2E2 in Chicago, I had my color guides that I bought from an eBay transactions ages ago. I've got about 16 pages and I brought them with me when I got in the line to meet him. When I showed them to him he was delighted and said they were the coolest things he'd ever seen. I also presented him with a Tokidoki Doom as a keepsake and for being kind enough to do the Doom sketch cover of NA#1, the first appearance of the Black Swan and the incursion over Wakanda. He's a pretty cool guy to meet and he remembered me from his only other booking way back when he his first issues of the Fantastic Four and SHIELD were coming out.

step one is the inked version on a transparency. This is an old process that they used before the digital age, etc.

Then the coloring was painted on another drawing sheet.

And then you put the two together

Very cool. Thanks.

Fantastic Member

While the art was lovely, this just felt like standard alt universe fare to me. Even Age of Ultron had an interesting first issue. :/

BANNED

...this is the regular Marvel Universe's Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange. Glad to have confirmation that 616 Victor von Doom and 616 Stephen Strange are indeed alive.
    Looking forward to reading an article that sheds light on the subject of Susan, Franklin and Valeria Richards being the 616 ones or not.
    It would not make sense to me were it to be revealed that they are the 616 ones since, together with 616 Ben Grimm and 616 Johnny Storm, they were killed in Secret Wars # 1.

Between the new Avengers film, the 2 hr SHIELD finale that still had me shaking 20 minutes after it was over, and Hickman / Ribic Secret Wars ..

Its full on head exploding comics Nirvana right now.

Really enjoying Secret Wars thus far. Hickman has created a real spectacle within the first two issues. First, he destroyed the old world. Then, he established the one that rose from those ashes. While the second issue got a bit bogged down by Game of Thrones style bickering, it did nicely establish what Battleworld is like. It also established that there are survivors from the previous worlds who can take on Doom. Overall, the scope and scale of this story has been nicely established. However, Marvel has shown in the past that it has no problem starting off major events. It's finishing them where they've fallen short.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    While the art was lovely, this just felt like standard alt universe fare to me.
    I don't exactly blame you. Issue #2 has much more of a "House of M" vibe to it than "Secret Wars." That's a bit disappointing. Not that I didn't like that former event, but I really feel that "House of Doom" won't leave us with many lasting changes. That FCB sneak peek of the post-SW universe and its Avengers story only strengthened my suspicion. "Secret Wars" may end up being a lot of fun, but I'm not sensing that it'll be anything more than a throwaway event so far.

The Marvel machine is too big for the writers to make any lasting changes. They've more or less said as much in the past, in reference to justifying the Ultimate universe's existence. Marvel will rough up their toys, but eventually just return them as they found them for the next person to play with. It's the same reason why we've come to think that death in comics is a joke or that identity changes will never last. Tony will never not be Iron Man in any permanent way. Steve will always somehow regain the shield. Jean Grey will always find a way to cheat death. Peter will always be the down on his luck slacker with woman issues.

Change is an illusion in comics. At least in mainstream ones. At the end of the day, come December or so, the Marvel Universe will mostly be as it was before this event. More than that, Marvel Comics will not have changed either, using this event as an excuse to renumber and release more #1 issues of familiar titles.

I know that sounds jaded, but does anybody think that anything we've seen so far will end up sticking? I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts, but know that it's only temporary.

Apart from the core series.... Anybody else not have a great feeling about the rest of the event? Based on what little we've seen of the MANY tie in issues, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of focus to the whole thing. "Secret Wars" #2 hasn't done a great job of letting us know why we should pick up the tie-ins. We're assured that every one of them will have a piece of a puzzle that makes up Marvel's new post-SW universe, but I have a hard time buying that. Thor cops. Zombies. A post-apocalyptic mutant world. A duck world. One based on the 90s X-Men cartoon.

If all of these tie-in comics have a piece of the puzzle then post-SW Marvel will look like some patchwork ratatouille thing. IF lasting change is coming, and I doubt that it is, the supposed importance of these tie-ins has me really worried. None of it makes sense together.

This was what we were all waiting to get too. We had 8 months of Time Runs Out, waiting for the Time that TRO, and knowing we were headed for another world after the MU, and here we are. We anticipated something of this nature but weren't quite sure what form it would take, or what the event that took us there was going to actually look like. How do you kill off the Marvel Universes world full of characters? We saw in the final issue of Avengers what happened to all the heroes, before Secret Wars #1. Then the issue struck and we saw Rafts ascending and trouble. Lots of trouble. Things not going the way they should, and losses along the way, till a blaze of light and then resting on something. Almost like Noah's Ark coming to rest after the flood wiped out mankind. Here we had a couple of Noahs, and the families they rescued with them.

So Secret Wars #2 opened at last. What was this world that was promised so long, going to open out like? Would it reveal early enough who was the ruler of this place, how the place runs and what laws are in effect to set it in place? Yes it did all those things. The introduction to Battleworld swam over us as we transferred from the spoilt MU, to the new Krypton. The opening sequences threw us for a while, thinking this is still the MU, until the elder Thor began rambling about the God they all bowed too, was Doom. We went from one location to another, one political intrigue to another until the track led to something that survived all this turmoil, we thought was over about the MU. One lone thread remained to link the MU to new Krypton and threatened to destroy the serenity, set up so brutally.
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-14-2015 at 07:40 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juggalord View Post
    I don't exactly blame you. Issue #2 has much more of a "House of M" vibe to it than "Secret Wars." That's a bit disappointing.
    Agreed, but I say this as someone who loathed House of M. I hope things drastically improve from what we're getting. Hickman is a better writer than Bendis, so I do expect it.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier