Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: DC Sneak Peek: Action Comics

Low on power, Superman battles mysterious assailants-Shadow Ninjas-as he tries to reach his Fortress of Solitude.

Full preview here.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

A longtime fan of Superman the DC52 version stories majorly disappointed me on three things: a) the death of the Kents, b) emphasizing less 'Clark' and emphasizing more 'Kal', c) loss of his relationship with Lois Lane. Otherwise I saw the DC52 Superman as an impovement over the last few years of pre-Flashpoint Superman.

This....this is ugly to me. Can't emphasis just how much I downright hate this. This is Act of God along with the worst hair/costume choice I've ever seen in a Superman book...(yes, I'm including Electric Blue here. I actually prefer that to what's coming.) The shorn hair I suppose can be taken akin to Sampson getting his hair shorn and thereby losing his power. It's not making me loath the look any less though.

When they got rid of Wally West I thought I'd at least have Superman and Kyle to care about. Yeah. '...' Trying desperately to think of anything left about DC that would make it worth my while to continue checking out previews. Coming up empty handed.

What a sad day.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

This is a weird combination of cartoony art with writing that takes itself WAY too seriously.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    A longtime fan of Superman the DC52 version stories majorly disappointed me on three things: a) the death of the Kents, b) emphasizing less 'Clark' and emphasizing more 'Kal', c) loss of his relationship with Lois Lane. Otherwise I saw the DC52 Superman as an impovement over the last few years of pre-Flashpoint Superman.

This....this is ugly to me. Can't emphasis just how much I downright hate this. This is Act of God along with the worst hair/costume choice I've ever seen in a Superman book...(yes, I'm including Electric Blue here. I actually prefer that to what's coming.) The shorn hair I suppose can be taken akin to Sampson getting his hair shorn and thereby losing his power. It's not making me loath the look any less though.

When they got rid of Wally West I thought I'd at least have Superman and Kyle to care about. Yeah. '...' Trying desperately to think of anything left about DC that would make it worth my while to continue checking out previews. Coming up empty handed.

What a sad day.
    that is not hard

you mean kyle rayner? oh dude =/ u can't catch a break

This superman books get worse and worse. From force relationships with wonder woman to death of kents to lame costumes. I mean I make jokes about but come on superboy look works for superboy for superman.
    What's wrong with the preview:
    Art is weird. Feels like i'm reading walking dead almost with zombie ninjas. Why are they are ninjas anyway? Did Superboy prime wanna be piss off league of shadows inbetween issues?
    The fact that Fortress of Solitude :Face palm: I think that is first time that superman has lost powers and somehow his dna. In normal DC book probably a dream/nightmare but this post new 52 crap. Probably flash back nightmare. This better be just nightmare because no way that fortress would not recognize him unless everything about his dna changed. Forget losing his powers what he did he lose kryptionan dna or anything in it says he still kal-el/clark kent?

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    that is not hard

you mean kyle rayner? oh dude =/ u can't catch a break
    Too right. Did I mention Dick losing his cool Night wing costume and going all plain-clothing spy?
    It's disgusting that right now the Batmite book is the only book I'd want to throw coins at to read. Maybe two others I'd flip through IF the were FREE and that's only because Barry at least mostly looks like The Flash and.... l actually can't think of a second book.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

I'm invested in truth as an idea, all i care for is great execution. Pak is really good Superman writer so not worried there and Yang is one of the best acclaimed writer, how his work on Superman translate from his indie success will make or break it here.

Incredible Member

DNA change?

Ok, I thought a bit and I think I got this:

Superman is weakened because of Doomsday infection during Doomed. That's why the Fortress of Solitude is saying his DNA is changed: Because it IS! He just survived a massive Doomsday infection, that ought leave a mark. Through it does seem Kara lost her powers too, but maybe she was infected too - she certainly got within spore range.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    This is a weird combination of cartoony art with writing that takes itself WAY too seriously.
    Which is funny because other people were trying to say it is like Born Again. LOL!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Too right. Did I mention Dick losing his cool Night wing costume and going all plain-clothing spy?
    It's disgusting that right now the Batmite book is the only book I'd want to throw coins at to read. Maybe two others I'd flip through IF the were FREE and that's only because Barry at least mostly looks like The Flash and.... l actually can't think of a second book.
    Dick lost big part of his great backstory on the reboot.No wonder they blew it with secret agent thing, sure seeley writing save the book for me. Really hard pick a DC book after convergence, I only excited about JL because darkseid war. At least the characters are on classic costumes

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    DNA change?

Ok, I thought a bit and I think I got this:

Superman is weakened because of Doomsday infection during Doomed. That's why the Fortress of Solitude is saying his DNA is changed: Because it IS! He just survived a massive Doomsday infection, that ought leave a mark. Through it does seem Kara lost her powers too, but maybe she was infected too - she certainly got within spore range.
    he entered the fortress after doomed and had no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Which is funny because other people were trying to say it is like Born Again. LOL!
    dream too much? art has nothing to do with Mazzuchelli born again
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-14-2015 at 08:35 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Kuder is a damn hero. Loving the art.

Spectacular Member

That was pretty fantastic.

There are beats here reminiscent of Born Again. Not really seeing where the smug laughing at other peoples thoughts come into play on that one.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There are beats here reminiscent of Born Again. Not really seeing where the smug laughing at other peoples thoughts come into play on that one.
    It's okay, you can quote me.

What I'm laughing about is the irony of a resemblance to Born Again, not being passive aggressive about what people like. This smells like all art no heart to me, but I hope you enjoy this story enough for the both of us.

Ahh, the art. Well no, there's not much resemblance there. But to be fair I don't think anyone was making a comparison between the art styles.

And if there's one think Pak stories do not lack, its heart, so I have no reason to doubt its going to lack there in any facet. Haven't read anything of Yang's yet, but I'm hoping for the best there as well.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El