Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ahh, the art. Well no, there's not much resemblance there. But to be fair I don't think anyone was making a comparison between the art styles.
    The funny thing to me is that anyone who's brought up Born Again would be referring to the story beats. But even as one of the greatest superheroes stories of all time, Born Again is virtually the definition of a "combination of cartoony art with writing that takes itself WAY too seriously," and both stories are bound to be extremely similar to me in that regard.

I bought the first and most recent arcs of Action, and I feel that Pak is way too concerned with making Superman look flawed, and misses the awesome ways in which he can kinda seem flawless. This arc to me comes off as a vehicle for a status quo where Superman is "down" like the rest of us and a million miles away from looking "too good," which was always a huge part of my enjoyment of his adventures. But the Bizarro issue was neat.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 05-14-2015 at 03:15 PM.

I've never gotten that impression. Pak has illustrated Superman's flaws sure, but there is no story yet in which he doesn't overcome via will and determination, whether its a personal flaw in his way, a threat, or both. That's all I care about. Superman doesn't have to be perfect for me, he just has to have strong willpower to overcome adversity. Pak writes him as a character, not an icon, which is something every writer would be apt to follow suit on.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-14-2015 at 03:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's okay, you can quote me.

What I'm laughing about is the irony of a resemblance to Born Again, not being passive aggressive about what people like. This smells like all art no heart to me, but I hope you enjoy this story enough for the both of us.
    That must be the first time I see a Superman story by Greg Pak being "accused' of lacking heart.
    I mean, as far as I'm concerned, heart is what drives everything he does on that franchise.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've never gotten that impression. Pak has illustrated Superman's flaws sure, but there is no story yet in which he doesn't overcome via will and determination, whether its a personal flaw in his way, a threat, or both. That's all I care about. Superman doesn't have to be perfect for me, he just has to have strong willpower to overcome adversity. Pak writes him as a character, not an icon, which is something every writer would be apt to follow suit on.
    I'll echo SK here. While Pak's run has been lukewarm with me, with amazing art, he does "understand" the character and gets the voice right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Too right. Did I mention Dick losing his cool Night wing costume and going all plain-clothing spy?
    It's disgusting that right now the Batmite book is the only book I'd want to throw coins at to read. Maybe two others I'd flip through IF the were FREE and that's only because Barry at least mostly looks like The Flash and.... l actually can't think of a second book.
    The Nightwing book was so bland though, it was just diet Batman.
    Last edited by The World; 05-14-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The Nightwing book was so bland though, it was just diet Batman.
    now he is diet winter soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    More like "James Bond on steroïds".
    Seriously, "Grayson" features the most badass Dick since he stopped being Batman. Bucky only wished he was half as cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    More like "James Bond on steroïds".
    Seriously, "Grayson" features the most badass Dick since he stopped being Batman. Bucky only wished he was half as cool.
    Winter soldier is having adventures on space, so I don't think he is doing any bad.

Winter soldier is having adventures on space, so I don't think he is doing any bad.
    Adventures in space is not the same as "good" adventures in space. Anybody can have adventures in space

Not even close. Dick Grayson is James freakin Bond yo.

Being in space doesn't make you badass.
    Ask C3PO.

BANNED

Can't he do both? Even Spider-Man from the New Avengers comes off as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Being in space doesn't make you badass.
    Ask C3PO.
    No, its being from Marvel that makes him badass. At least in blacksun's eyes. Nothing good at DC, after all, unless its Batman.

For my money, the first issue of Winter Soldier (which I really, really wanted to love) was decent, with really great art, but it didnt hold my interest. It felt an awful lot like a square peg and a round hole, putting Barnes in space dealing with these threats. Interesting concept, but it didnt grab me at all. Grayson on the other hand, I've really enjoyed, but I forget that it exists between issues. Then when it arrives one week in my pull box it's all "Oh yeah! Grayson! Awesome!" And I'm quite thrilled.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No, its being from Marvel that makes him badass. At least in blacksun's eyes. Nothing good at DC, after all, unless its Batman.

For my money, the first issue of Winter Soldier (which I really, really wanted to love) was decent, with really great art, but it didnt hold my interest. It felt an awful lot like a square peg and a round hole, putting Barnes in space dealing with these threats. Interesting concept, but it didnt grab me at all. Grayson on the other hand, I've really enjoyed, but I forget that it exists between issues. Then when it arrives one week in my pull box it's all "Oh yeah! Grayson! Awesome!" And I'm quite thrilled.
    I think putting the Winter Solider in space is a really terrible idea, but I think Marvel really missed to boat on that character. They had the chance to have a whole new break out hero and instead they slapped the Captain America uniform on him and made him derivative right at the height of his popularity, similar to what they ended up doing with the Falcon.

GRAYSON, I think, is the best book at either DC or Marvel. It's the one book I immediately read on the train. It's the only superhero book that I actively look forward to. There really is no comparison between Dick and Bucky though. GRAYSON is a fueled up James Bond comic, that has nothing to do with the Winter Solider's MO.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-15-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think putting the Winter Solider in space is a really terrible idea, but I think Marvel really missed to boat on that character. They had the chance to have a whole new break out hero and instead they slapped the Captain America uniform on him and made him derivative right at the height of his popularity, similar to what they ended up doing with the Falcon.
    But his time as Cap was the height of his popularity. The arc from #25-34 was the best part of the story but there was no indication that they ever needed to bring Steve back based on sales or reception. He had an awesome story under Jason Latour where he was back to being the WS, but no one actually read it.

GRAYSON, I think, is the best book at either DC or Marvel. It's the one book I immediately read on the train. It's the only superhero book that I actively look forward to. There really is no comparison between Dick and Bucky though. GRAYSON is a fueled up James Bond comic, that has nothing to do with the Winter Solider's MO.
    There are enough surface level similarities that will keep them forever compared to each other. I buy both of the current series and have enjoyed them, but haven't bothered to actually read either in months.

*shrug*

Interesting enough, we're talking about getting put in space and here's Superman, getting taken out of space. I think for every person who says putting Bucky in space is bad, five people say grounding Superman is bad. Yet people are still pumped for the latter.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 05-15-2015 at 08:31 AM.