Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I meant in regards to the world of Spyral and the world that early Bond operates in more than him actually being James Bond. Dick Grayson is nothing like James Bond, the person, he's a better Batman than THE BATMAN.

The flashy secret societies and sexy vixens. The gadgets. All that.

I should have clarified.

I understand, but even so I'd say the world of Spyral is heavily influenced by other bits of pop culture ephemera. The stuff I mentioned above, and probably the Prisoner, are things that weigh on a lot of Morrison's work and I think that is the spy-world he created in the Batman Inc stuff, more than any.

I'd be surprised to find he had a particular affection for the James Bond world, which is so morally reprehensible in the most ignorant, least aware way.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I wouldn't even say I see the tone or plot comparison. So far "Grayson" has been big, science fiction espionage. It owes much more to Casanova, Gideon Stargrave, Jerry Cornelius, and Luther Arkwright and the work of Warren Ellis than it does to Bond.

Not trying to be a dick, but I think it's a matter of people just identifying the biggest 'spy' pop culture thing and I think it's really incorrect in this case. Much moreso was the Winter Soldier's earlier series a James Bondian spy-thing.
    Ho, definitely. I mean, I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea who Jerry Cornelius or Luther Arkwright even are, so I'm not gonna use these guys as a point of comparaison. I guess you just gotta see it as an easy way to convey it's more on the "action, gadgets, and sexy ladies" side of spy stuff and not look into it too much.
    And, to my credit, I did add "on steroids" to my James Bond analogy.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Ho, definitely. I mean, I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea who Jerry Cornelius or Luther Arkwright even are, so I'm not gonna use these guys as a point of comparaison. I guess you just gotta see it as an easy way to convey it's more on the "action, gadgets, and sexy ladies" side of spy stuff and not look into it too much.
    And, to my credit, I did add "on steroids" to my James Bond analogy.
    Really? Moorcock's work has had a huge influence on a lot of the biggest guys in comics, from Moore to Gaiman to Morrison (that's where Cornelius came from). Gideon Stargrave (King Mob's alter ego from Invisibles) is a direct Cornelius pastiche.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Really? Moorcock's work has had a huge influence on a lot of the biggest guys in comics, from Moore to Gaiman to Morrison (that's where Cornelius came from). Gideon Stargrave (King Mob's alter ego from Invisibles) is a direct Cornelius pastiche.
    Heh. Not gonna lie, my knowledge of Moorcock ends with Elric and Ereköse (Ereko.....You know, the guy who keeps being reincarnated so he can save different worlds). And I'm still somewhat behind when it comes to the early Morrison comics.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Astonishing Member

I understand, but even so I'd say the world of Spyral is heavily influenced by other bits of pop culture ephemera. The stuff I mentioned above, and probably the Prisoner, are things that weigh on a lot of Morrison's work and I think that is the spy-world he created in the Batman Inc stuff, more than any.

I'd be surprised to find he had a particular affection for the James Bond world, which is so morally reprehensible in the most ignorant, least aware way.
    The Bond franchise is a pretty good exercise in duality in that way, but there's loads of stuff worth mining from it at least aesthetically, from a storyteller/filmmaker/iconography point of view, from the filmography to the locations to the poster art. We've already seen Seeley and King do Bond-style "pre-credit sequences", starting us in the middle of some less substantial, less important daring plot (that I gather will be subverted when the little details start adding up later).

Anyway, as for the new direction for Superman - reserving the heck out of judgment.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

Like K.Jones said, we should reserve the judgement for the Truth storyline til all of June's Super books are released. Its certainly not fair to the writers to judge these stories only on the solicitations. I'm sure {hope) there will be a good explination for Lois's actions!