Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Son Of Batman movie

I've finally got round to watching it last night and it's the most disappointed I've ever been with the DC animated films. Poor voice acting all round apart from Jason O'Mara, the animation was choppy and considering they did away with the Batman & Son comic story line I don't understand why they just didn't take the best parts from the Batman & Robin/Batman Inc run and do away with the date rape drug part.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I've finally got round to watching it last night and it's the most disappointed I've ever been with the DC animated films. Poor voice acting all round apart from Jason O'Mara, the animation was choppy and considering they did away with the Batman & Son comic story line I don't understand why they just didn't take the best parts from the Batman & Robin/Batman Inc run and do away with the date rape drug part.
    Ya it was pretty bad. I wished they didn't make the animated movies like the new 52. I hated that Dick and Damien fought even though the only good scenes were the ones he was in.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Ya it was pretty bad. I wished they didn't make the animated movies like the new 52. I hated that Dick and Damien fought even though the only good scenes were the ones he was in.
    I get why they did it, they wanted the same rival/jealous thing that Damien and Tim had but it doesn't really work as well in the movie. They shoudl of had a moment at the end where Damien says sorry/work with each other to show growth or something along those lines.

BANNED

Yeah we had a pretty long thread for it on the old forums and I think only about two/three people actually liked it. It was a mess.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Eh. I enjoyed it. Had fun with it. I can see why folks dislike it.The fact people are calling this the worst DC animated movie, just shows how strong their animation projects are.

Assault on Arkham doesn't appeal to me. Can't wait for the aquaman movie however!

Ultimate Member

I didn't mind Jason O'Mara, and Alfred was good as well.

On the other hand, Deathstroke was just godwful all around.

Talia, Ra's, and the LOA were portrayed poorly as well and Talia's ridiculous cleavage issues didn't help.

Damian's voice was ok imo, but I didn't like how overpowered he seemed to be.

The animation was inconsistent, the fights were disappointing, and the story was a mess.

Characters acting stupid/illogically purely for plot's sake.

Them bringing up the rape thing (I still hate that retcon Morrison) and then just brushing it aside was also stupid.

It was just not very good.

I wasn't the least bit excited about this when it was announced. Wasn't even in a rush to see it right away.

As it turned out, I saw it early on just after the WonderCon debut, and was happily surprised.

I thought they simplified the story perfectly for Damian's introduction into the DCAU.

I thought the voices, characters, dialogue, animation, sequencing and writing were all great.

This movie was a lot of fun without any expectations.

I really hope to see more from Morrison's run get the treatment.

My only personal disappointment was not seeing "Zur En Arrh" sprayed in the background somewhere.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

I went in with low expectations, which actually helped me enjoy it a bit. There's plenty of "ridiculous," but also a lot of "fun" moments. I recall being pretty impressed with the final Damian vs. Deathstroke fight.

If you're comparing to the good, "classic" DCAU movies, then it's not so great, but compared to the recent movies, it holds up quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    If you're comparing to the good, "classic" DCAU movies, then it's not so great, but compared to the recent movies, it holds up quite well.
    I definitely see some of the "ridiculous" you described, but somehow it fell into the fun category for me.

There were a couple clunker lines in there that could have been either written or delivered a little better, and I would have liked a little more emotional resolve behind Damian's decision to spare Deathstroke, but overall I thought it was just as good as some of my favorite "classics."

Blows the pants off SubZero, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    I definitely see some of the "ridiculous" you described, but somehow it fell into the fun category for me.
    Actually, you're right, a lot of the ridiculous and fun worked together. Like, the League of Assassins, being strictly stuck with Ninja weapons only, during Slade's assault. It was dumb, but so goofy that I'm sure I was smiling the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    There were a couple clunker lines in there that could have been either written or delivered a little better, and I would have liked a little more emotional resolve behind Damian's decision to spare Deathstroke, but overall I thought it was just as good as some of my favorite "classics."

Blows the pants off SubZero, right?
    Is SubZero really that bad? It's been a long time since I've watched it. All I remember if the fire on the oil platform.

Son of Batman is certainly no Mask of the Phantasm, but I liked it more than Justice League: War, so it's good enough.

Ultimate Member

Actually, Subzero is one of the most acclaimed of the animated Batman films, and I really loved it. Heck it's got a higher critical rating on RT than Mask of the Phantasm. It was a great little movie. To compare it to this is ludicrous. Actually, I enjoyed JL: War more than this. At least JLW was kind of fun in a big dumb punch-um up kind of way. This was just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    Actually, you're right, a lot of the ridiculous and fun worked together.
    When Talia grabbed that guys shot gun and started blasting, I giggled myself silly.

Is SubZero really that bad? It's been a long time since I've watched it. All I remember if the fire on the oil platform.
    I don't really remember it that well either. That speaks volumes in itself.

I remember feeling like it would have made a decent episode of the series rather than a feature film.

Son of Batman is certainly no Mask of the Phantasm, but I liked it more than Justice League: War, so it's good enough.
    I wasn't going to make the comparison (out of fear of lynching...) but for me it stands nicely by Mask of the Phantasm.

I didn't particularly care for JL: War. (And, like SubZero, it's already fading from memory...)

I saw Flashpoint the other day. I thought that was pretty good, while making abbreviations similar to those in Batman and Son.

All-New Member

When this was first announced, I was beyond excited, as I loved Morrison's run on Batman. That said, this movie was a turd. I wanted to love it...can't even say I liked it a little bit. I guess I'll go reread the comics and pretend it's the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by mudstar View Post
    When this was first announced, I was beyond excited, as I loved Morrison's run on Batman.
    Expectations ruin alot of things.

I'm glad I didn't reread the original issues right before seeing this.

Like Under the Hood, it will be fun to go back and read now to see the little changes more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    At least JLW was kind of fun in a big dumb punch-um up kind of way. This was just bad.
    Yeah, I'll take this over the big dumb punch em up any day.

They stayed true to Damian's initial annoying arrogance and gave him a fine introduction.

Might not have been what you wanted, but it was hardly 'bad.'