Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Odin can discover when Celestials are coming from the heavens to vanquish Earth but he has trouble discovering the identity of a woman who's wielding his son's weapon? Bull crap writing. He couldn't send his crows to watch her 24/7, use the Asgardian scrying pools, or ask Heimdall?
    Mjolnir blocked Odin and Odin's grand visers and Heimdall from seeing who the new Thor is.

    And the hammer isn't the same hammer. During a nasty fight with Bor, Mjolnir was broken. Thor went to Dr. Strange to repair the hammer, and Strange summoned part of Thor's lifeforce to the hammer to repair it. So Mjolnir has not just Odin's enchantments, but Dr. Strange's and Thor's. And it has clearly outgrown Odin and determined Odin himself is unworthy.

  2. #47
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    Spoilers!

    I gotta admit, I did not see the ending coming. Jane Foster was not my first suspect. The first was Agent Donnavan and the second was the Axis reverted Enchantress. However I had to admit Jane Foster was the only one who made the most sense. I'm interested in seeing how he being Thor is killing her. I'm kind of annoyed with how bitter Sif is in this book. Come to think of it, I see no reason for Jane Foster to keep her secret from Thor. Thor doesn't need protection and he could even help guide Jane in some ways.
    I always thought it was Jane Foster. Though towards the end there were certainly red herrings implying it could be Roz Solomon or an Axis reverted Enchantress (Odin and the grand visers were mystically blocked from finding out Thor's identity but that was done by Mjolnir itself).

    As for Thor guiding her, the part of him that is in the hammer is guiding her. That's how she instantly knows how to fight, use her powers and knew things about Thor's enemies that Jane Foster wouldn't know.

  3. #48
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Heh.

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I think they might have met when Roxxon took over the town. Considering Jane was living there when it was turned into a cesspit, that would be enough to make her war with Roxxon personal.

    Called it
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  4. #49
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    at this point i don't think it matters why Odin can't lift the hammer. this isn't Odin's story. or just use the 'its magic' excuse. or, the hammer has a mind of its own. at this time, it chooses not to recognize Odin.
    It matters. If there is no good reason given by the end, it's not a good story.

    Plenty of stories have gone from gold to crap in the last act because of badly reasoned plot twists.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  5. #50
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Odin can discover when Celestials are coming from the heavens to vanquish Earth but he has trouble discovering the identity of a woman who's wielding his son's weapon? Bull crap writing. He couldn't send his crows to watch her 24/7, use the Asgardian scrying pools, or ask Heimdall?
    We already know from a couple of months ago the scrying pools don't work.

    Heimdall might well know but choose not to tell. It's also possible it's hidden from him - others have managed to escape his vigilance in the past.

    As for Hunin and Munin, it's possible he will try that eventually.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Eh. This is a good dropping point.

    I don't appreciate everything supporting Roz yet we get a random and forced Jane who had not even a single thing that supported her or even giving her the means to get the hammer.

    Feels like, to me, that Roz was the plan but Marvel insisted it to be Jane instead due to the movies and her cancer being a good excuse to have her give up the hammer later to Thor.
    I disagree - the Roz thing was so obvious over the last two issues I would have been amazed if it had been her.

    Jane was on Asgardia, orbiting the moon, so its not inconceivable she could find a way down to the Blue Area, which of course has a breathable atmosphere.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  7. #52
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It is also dumb to keep trying to lift a hammer you are no longer worthy of wielding. You seem like you are refusing to accept that we are squarely in "Dumb" territory.
    Yes, I agree, man. It's all dumb. Thor should've learned after 13-15 years that our physical attributes are a non-factor in determining if someone is worthy. That was the point of the Donald Blake magic, to make him more humble and learn as a feeble mortal. Trying to lift mjolnir after it tells him the first dozen times "I don't want you" should've sunk in sooner.

    I loved the God Butcher arc, but this... what is the ultimate end game for doing all these changes? Are we going to see Cul turn evil (big surprise) and seize the throne and only Jane Foster can stop him or what? I'm sorry, but Jason Aaron's lost me.
    Last edited by whiterabbit; 05-18-2015 at 12:10 AM.

  8. #53
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,434

    Default

    If you loved "God Butch/God Bomb", you should realize that Thor wasn't exactly Sherlock Holmes there. He manages to miss the deaths/disappearances of many gods after confronting Gorr in his youth.

    If not for Gorr's "Son", the Thors may not even have pulled that one out.

    He also does not manage to sniff out the traitor in the League Of Realms.

    The idea that the son of Odin is dumb enough to overlook possibilities has been there since Aaron took over the title.

  9. #54
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,312

    Default

    But THIS is pushing it, even fro him.

  10. #55
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,458

    Default

    But Thor was smart enough to come up with a plan to fake killing the troll (what's his name) using illusions he learned from Loki. My memory is foggy on this but it's clear that Thor isn't really that clueless, only dumb enough to serve the plot when needed.

  11. #56
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you loved "God Butch/God Bomb", you should realize that Thor wasn't exactly Sherlock Holmes there. He manages to miss the deaths/disappearances of many gods after confronting Gorr in his youth.

    If not for Gorr's "Son", the Thors may not even have pulled that one out.

    He also does not manage to sniff out the traitor in the League Of Realms.

    The idea that the son of Odin is dumb enough to overlook possibilities has been there since Aaron took over the title.
    Thor is never supposed to be like Batman and more like a warrior, but if you consistently follow a pattern for over 13 years and the complete point of it all was ALREADY established to you... Why would not get the underlining message? Worthiness isn't determined by race, sex, or lack of ailments.

  12. #57
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Yes, I agree, man. It's all dumb. Thor should've learned after 13-15 years that our physical attributes are a non-factor in determining if someone is worthy. That was the point of the Donald Blake magic, to make him more humble and learn as a feeble mortal. Trying to lift mjolnir after it tells him the first dozen times "I don't want you" should've sunk in sooner.

    I loved the God Butcher arc, but this... what is the ultimate end game for doing all these changes? Are we going to see Cul turn evil (big surprise) and seize the throne and only Jane Foster can stop him or what? I'm sorry, but Jason Aaron's lost me.
    I think people vastly underestimate the psychological impact of being Thor for a thousand years and then suddenly you aren't.

    It's also worth remembering that Thor tried dozens, possibly hundreds of times to lift the hammer in his youth before he actually did it. So it's no really a stretch to think he would fall back into that pattern.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •