Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Spider-Woman #7 *spoilers...maybe*

Third issue of the new direction of Spider-Woman and the creative team of Hopeless and Rodriguez are still going strong. Reading this issue kind of had me wishing that Marvel would give Jess a shot at a show with a similar tone to what the book is running with now.

This book is really filling the void left by She-Hulk for me - lighter Marvel fare, that's not too comical. As long as the creative team sticks with this direction, they'll continue to get my money. I love the voice for Jess and the general tone of the comic. The art is as good as ever with quality storytelling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Third issue of the new direction of Spider-Woman and the creative team of Hopeless and Rodriguez are still going strong. Reading this issue kind of had me wishing that Marvel would give Jess a shot at a show with a similar tone to what the book is running with now.

This book is really filling the void left by She-Hulk for me - lighter Marvel fare, that's not too comical. As long as the creative team sticks with this direction, they'll continue to get my money. I love the voice for Jess and the general tone of the comic. The art is as good as ever with quality storytelling.
    And to think that under Bendis writing, Jessica was a darker character. Glad to see that Hopeless understands Jessica better than Bendis going forward.

The one problem may be that Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Silk all seem to have some similar tones . . . none of the three truly stands out in a way that someone can say how one is truly different from the other. Which is okay if you like them, but there's no clear alternative if you don't enjoy one of the three titles.

Its hard for me to want to invest in this series considering how frequently Marvel changes its mind about how to present Jessica and what she is all about. I'm reticent to put forth any emotional investment in a character who is probably going to be someone else in a few years time, once this fad of humorous female spider-types fades away.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its hard for me to want to invest in this series considering how frequently Marvel changes its mind about how to present Jessica and what she is all about. I'm reticent to put forth any emotional investment in a character who is probably going to be someone else in a few years time, once this fad of humorous female spider-types fades away.
    That's a fair point. Of all of the heroines that Marvel has tried to make happen, Jessica has probably had the most inconsistency of character.

Even Captain Marvel hasn't had these problems and she's had mindwipes.

That's a fair point. Of all of the heroines that Marvel has tried to make happen, Jessica has probably had the most inconsistency of character.

Not to mention a bizarre pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    That kind of thing makes me wonder just what they'll do with her solo after Secret Wars considering how her current status quo is the only one Hickman disregarded having her change back to her classic costume and rejoin the Avengers. Of course Jessica isn't the only one whose status I wonder about in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The one problem may be that Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Silk all seem to have some similar tones . . . none of the three truly stands out in a way that someone can say how one is truly different from the other. Which is okay if you like them, but there's no clear alternative if you don't enjoy one of the three titles.
    ^^^^EXACTLY THIS^^^^^
    The similarity in tone and visual style is an obstacle to investing in any one of the titles fully. They are reductive and approaching interchangeable.
    With the similarity of concept of all being "Spider-Women", I wish there were more to make each distinct. Different voices.
    I'm with all of the titles (Silk, Spider-Gwen, and Spider-Woman) for their initial arcs pre-Secret Wars, but I feel like I will have to pare down the field thereafter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    That kind of thing makes me wonder just what they'll do with her solo after Secret Wars considering how her current status quo is the only one Hickman disregarded having her change back to her classic costume and rejoin the Avengers. Of course Jessica isn't the only one whose status I wonder about in the future.
    Those events under Hickman happened before the costume change. Jessica's current adventures might have occurred after Time Runs Out and the Secret Wars.

Ever since the introduction of Silk and Spider-Gwen, it dilutes the Spider-Woman name greatly. I was hoping that we would see more adventures between Jessica Drew and Peter Parker. But due to the creation of Silk as Peter's partner, it makes it extremely unlikely. Yet again, another Spider-Woman based character(after Mattie Franklyn) takes the Spotlight away from Jessica Drew.

Astonishing Member

This is why Dennis Hopeless understands Jessica's history of which he focused on her original story in Marvel Spotlight and the original Spider-Woman series, while ignoring Bendis retcon on her background history.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    . . . Ever since the introduction of Silk and Spider-Gwen, it dilutes the Spider-Woman name greatly. I was hoping that we would see more adventures between Jessica Drew and Peter Parker. But due to the creation of Silk as Peter's partner, it makes it extremely unlikely. Yet again, another Spider-Woman based character(after Mattie Franklyn) takes the Spotlight away from Jessica Drew.
    Uh . . . Silk is not his "partner".

And Jessica was created without any direct connection to Peter . . . so "adventures between Jessica Drew and Peter Parker" aren't really any more necessary than the occasional team-up (especially since they're no longer both active Avengers).

This is why Dennis Hopeless understands Jessica's history of which he focused on her original story in Marvel Spotlight and the original Spider-Woman series, while ignoring Bendis retcon on her background history.
    I am glad he is ignoring Bendis' characterization of Jessica. I know Bendis adores the character, but he did a ton of damage to the character. Hopeless has been doing an excellent job with Jessica, and I am grateful that he's doing a knockout job with this series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Uh . . . Silk is not his "partner".

And Jessica was created without any direct connection to Peter . . . so "adventures between Jessica Drew and Peter Parker" aren't really any more necessary than the occasional team-up (especially since they're no longer both active Avengers).
    I could see Jessica Drew in the same spot as the Black Cat(Pre-OMD) as Peter's partner on occasion. But what I want to see is their friendship develop in a manner that would rival Peter's friendship with Carol Danvers(before the mindwipe) and Felicia Hardy(Pre-OMD) in its own unique way. Besides Carol Danvers and Felicia Hardy(Pre-OMD), Jessica Drew is one of the few super heroines who understands Peter Parker than anyone else.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 05-15-2015 at 08:21 AM.

BANNED

But didn't they briefly mentioned the skrull incident in the new series ?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    ^^^^EXACTLY THIS^^^^^
    The similarity in tone and visual style is an obstacle to investing in any one of the titles fully. They are reductive and approaching interchangeable.
    With the similarity of concept of all being "Spider-Women", I wish there were more to make each distinct. Different voices.
    I'm with all of the titles (Silk, Spider-Gwen, and Spider-Woman) for their initial arcs pre-Secret Wars, but I feel like I will have to pare down the field thereafter.
    That's strange as while there's similarities, I most definitely can tell there are distinct differences in the tone of:

Spider-gwen, which is currently largely angst based and self introspective, and a very visually obtuse angle
    Silk, overly fun and primarily focused on 'catching up' on life and integration with a very light cartoonish feel
    Spider-woman, Snarky, pulp fictiony, very superior foes esque in tone

I'd call Silk closer to Unbeatable Squirrel Girl or Silver Surfer than Spidergwen or Spiderwoman. I'd say Spiderwoman is closer to ant man than either of the new girls. And I'd align Spidergwen to ultimate spiderman or hawkeye than the former two.

Just cause they're all women who have spiderpowers doesn't mean their tones are similar.
    Last edited by ZephyrSurf; 05-15-2015 at 10:46 AM.