Cannonball
    Dani
    Warlock
    Wolfsbane
    Magik

Simple
    Oh if only it was really so simple...!

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I'm always shocked by Karma fans. No hating on the character, but she was barely in the series. The only major roles she's had was the New Mutants vol. 3 (?) relaunch and Liu's Astonishing X-Men, with wallpaper appearances in Fractions run.
    The searching (and finding) of Karma was a major and awesome run in early TNM (Sienkiewicz and Adams involved). Anyway, you may like a character even if she's not invariably a focal point (e.g., Magik). Karma is interesting by herself, not just by her acts, and this is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Dani is the leader of the New Mutants not Cable
    To me she will always be, in her own or together with Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Cypher and his lack of an offensive power are hallmarks of the New Mutants, I think. Definitely something that would be interesting and very different for a superhero movie.
    Very well said, totally agree! I know I'm daydreaming, but I don't want just another superheroes movie --I wish a different movie, characters with different backgrounds, traits, features, levels, problems, flaws. I don't want their target to be only a Sentinel, but learning to live by theirselves and by the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Karma- have her speak Vietnamese- Claremont always had her making exclamations in French, which, pragmatically, made no sense unless she grew up rich, which Xi’an did not.
    Her father was Colonel and Xavier employed her as his personal assistant because she's 'learned and speaks several languages'. I don't know if her family was really rich, but she had higher education for sure --so they probably had a French-speaking environment, unless Xi'an was the only one of her family to go to University.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I believe the best awesome special effects could be made with Magma!!!
    Probably, and easily. Too bad that I don't care too much about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Kane View Post
    As a kid, I loved the New Mutants from the graphic novel until the Secret Wars II crossover, who got freaked out by the Bill Sienkiewicz art when he started (I later learned to appreciate those issues), and thought that X-Force ruined every character, I see no problem with the original team. It's a racially diverse team, a 3 to 2 female to male ratio, visually interesting powers, and each character had a distinct personality. The first 21 issues would be a great template for movie series. Magma, Magik, Warlock and Cypher could eventually be added if the cast needed more members. I'd be fine with no Boom Boom, Rusty, Skids, or Rictor. The original cast is just fine thanks.
    Co signed, specially the bold. Trouble with TNM (their riches, indeed) is that some of their origins are very complicated (e.g., Magik, Magma, Warlock). I think the smart way would be choosing one of these 'complicated characters' to be the main plot and sacrificing the others. For example, picking Warlock (non-mutant, after all) as an excuse to mobilize the team and, incidentally, developing Cypher --and getting him hooked to Warlock for a second movie >:-) .

Anyway, my essential team up:

- Dani
    - Illyana
    - Sam
    - Doug
    - Warlock
    - Shan

For TNM 2:

- Rahne (I know most of you hate her (I like her!), I know her power is...weak...but I really believe it's necessary to have counterbalance)
    - Berto (ditto...although I don't like him too much)
    - Rictor (cool!)

And NO Cable, please.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 05-21-2015 at 02:07 AM.

God yes agree with the no Cable thing. The whole Cable era was when the original New Mutants series really jumped the shark it was bad enough when Claremont left the book and the new writers began writing out members to tack on some mutants from another series the whole early 90's "Hey let's tack on X Force to this book!" was a mess.

There are already much better choices for a teacher role than trying to turn this into an X Force movie. Magneto for example.

Extraordinary Member

Cable and teenage high school do not mix.

They've already told us a lot about the film. It's inspired by the 80s comic. It has a supernatural/horror tone with comedy thrown in. Any and all expectations as to which characters will be included have to take these facts into account. That rules out Cable and leaves very little room for Warlock. It also makes the Hellions and other non-supernatural foes less likely to appear in any significant role.

Another possibility is that characters may be changed or have their origins skipped altogether. Magma may go a route similar to the one they took in the Evolution cartoon. Before they said the tone would be supernatural everyone assumed the only way Magik was getting in was without her origin and 2/3 of her powerset. That can still happen to her and to the other characters. 'Inspired by' and even 'adaptation' have very loose meanings at Fox.

And it is naiive to think that they won't add characters who weren't in Claremont's NM run. I hope they are conservative with that and don't use it to reduce the percentage of women on the team, because one of the more exiting things is that the NM don't have analogues to the Avengers like Honest Trailers said GOTG did. Not being able to say 'this guy is the tank a la Hulk/Thing, this girl is the hand-to-hand fighter,' is nice for once, as is the idea that this will be the first team to have more than 'the token female character) since the first X-Men trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    God yes agree with the no Cable thing. The whole Cable era was when the original New Mutants series really jumped the shark it was bad enough when Claremont left the book and the new writers began writing out members to tack on some mutants from another series the whole early 90's "Hey let's tack on X Force to this book!" was a mess.

There are already much better choices for a teacher role than trying to turn this into an X Force movie. Magneto for example.
    I get diehard New Mutants fans not liking that pre-X-Force era, but they were the highest selling issues of the whole run.

Regardless, doesn't sound like this is the film for Cable to appear in if they are going with the 80s inspired New Mutants and a more supernatural bent. Seems like it will be a smaller budget, more teen focused deal. Hopefully it does well. I'll probably check it out when it's on pay-per-view or something.

In the meantime, I'm still holding out hope for an X-Force announcement soon...

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

The director said he has his lineup picked already.

Josh Boone ‏@JoshBooneMovies
    @P_Man1980 I know all the characters I'm going to use and I can't tell ANYONE.

Josh Boone
    May 18
    @drewsykes Yeah, no one sends you comics when you make a comic book movie. All from my library. I have an equal amount of Spidey and Hulk.

Josh Boone
    May 18
    @Lucas_Ackerman Never! They are for my reading pleasure! : )

Quote:
    may 18
    a.s ‏@sweetnothingssp
    @joshboonemovies josh, being honest: Could you realistically do new mutants film for 2017? Or impossible because of your other proyects ?

Josh boone – verified account ‏@joshboonemovies

@sweetnothingssp anything is possible.
    Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 05-20-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    The director said he has his lineup picked already.
    Until he reveals what that lineup is this sort of discussion won't stop.

It is pretty much impossible that this will turn out to be a good representation of the New Mutants. I pretty much guarantee you that no modern film studio will make film about an essentially good bunch of kids who get on well with each other and relate in a fairly mature way. It'll have to be hip teens with attitude (e.g. Dick Grayson in "Batman and Robin") throwing cool pop culture quips and stickin' it to the man.

For this reason, I do not want to see:
    Cannonball, Mirage, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Magma, Warlock, Cypher, Magik.

And would prefer to see some second-string no-hopers get studio-ized, like:
    Rusty Collins, Skids, Pixie, Glob Herman, Eye Boy and Shark Girl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by genki_desu View Post
    It is pretty much impossible that this will turn out to be a good representation of the New Mutants. I pretty much guarantee you that no modern film studio will make film about an essentially good bunch of kids who get on well with each other and relate in a fairly mature way. It'll have to be hip teens with attitude (e.g. Dick Grayson in "Batman and Robin") throwing cool pop culture quips and stickin' it to the man.

For this reason, I do not want to see:
    Cannonball, Mirage, Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Magma, Warlock, Cypher, Magik.
    You get your wish regarding the marvel characters Magma, Warlock and Cypher I resent that the marvel character Karma is replaced by the marvel character Magik since she was one of the original 5 New Mutants and leader of the team in the comics