Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Do you think Being a supergenius is too much for Batman?

I can believe that at his age 25-30s Batman is a grand master of many different forms of martial arts
    I can believe he is the worlds greatest detective
    I can believe he is a master of meditation and whatever the hell that spiritual thing Morrison was talking about on his run

but
    Its just pretty hard for me to believe he is also a supergenius that design, build, tested and successfully developed: a flying car, a giant mecha robot, a boomerang that returns to himself on its own, a mask that creates a hologram to disguise himself and all his other fabulous gadgets
    not only to mention that he help build an A.I. that can take over the world

Its not that I dont think he should be smart, is just that there is a point where it just becomes too incredible to accept which is why somethings like Batman Earth One or the Dark Knight movies delegate those things to Lucius Fox and it kind of works there

so should Batman be a scientific genius?
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 05-14-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

So, he can be a master detective and spiritually enlightened, but not build a boomerang?

Did he develop all the tech in the flying Batmobile? I mean, for one thing, he didn't get it to work, Damian and Alfred got it to work after he was gone, but even then, I don't think they're meant to have reinvented the axle or power steering or whatever. Flying struts. It's just putting the stuff together.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    So, he can be a master detective and spiritually enlightened, but not build a boomerang?
    Well its not just a boomerang
    is a batarang

Did he develop all the tech in the flying Batmobile? I mean, for one thing, he didn't get it to work, Damian and Alfred got it to work after he was gone, but even then, I don't think they're meant to have reinvented the axle or power steering or whatever. Flying struts. It's just putting the stuff together.
    you make it sound like it is actually pretty easy
    and im not just talking about it on the technical level but also on time
    when does he get the time to do all of these things, the calculations, the design, the testing.
    thats why it makes a lot of sense that someone else like Lucius Fox or even Harold(RIP) do it instead

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    you make it sound like it is actually pretty easy
    You're making spiritual enlightenment and being an expert in like thirty different martial arts seem easy.

None of it is. That's why he's Batman and we're not.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Incredible Member

I think Bruce Wayne should be a master engineer and tech-expert, with some forensics expertise.

Anything above that leans into "too-much" territory. Let Lex Luthor be the master of all sciences, if someone has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    You're making spiritual enlightenment and being an expert in like thirty different martial arts seem easy.

None of it is. That's why he's Batman and we're not.
    But I think is easier to have those 2 than to just be the master engineer
    it is ok for him to be an expert on certein topics but shouldnt someone else take care of the Batmovile and gadget creation

Astonishing Member

Batman never even makes my top ten or twenty "smartest DCU characters" lists - spots reserved for mostly super-scientists and super-engineers. This does not mean he's not brilliant.

But I look at him, to use an easy metaphor, like Mario in any given Mario sport/racing game. He's a real Renaissance Man - he's good at EVERYTHING he does (you know, on the "Normal Humans" scale of comparison). But he's only "the best" at a couple of those things. He's the ALL-AROUND guy. Luigi can jump higher (Dick Grayson). Peach is all about technique (Babs). Wario's the heavyweight (Someone like Bane).

He's not even the best detective (Cough, Ralph). But adding his Renaissance prowess, kung-fu mastery and meditation skills to his detective work garners that there "Greatest" moniker.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

How can Batman be everything else and not be a genius.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah, for sure. In my mind Batman is simply a man who has trained his body to the peak of perfection and has studied the art of the detective to great lengths. He's Sherlock Holmes. Dick Grayson is Watson. I think it makes him a lot less interesting to make him a genius. It takes away the journey.

Extraordinary Member

Who isnt a genius in thats world?
    http://tessatechaitea.tumblr.com/pos...in-dc-it-seems

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I can believe that at his age 25-30s Batman is a grand master of many different forms of martial arts
    I can believe he is the worlds greatest detective
    I can believe he is a master of meditation and whatever the hell that spiritual thing Morrison was talking about on his run

but
    Its just pretty hard for me to believe he is also a supergenius that design, build, tested and successfully developed: a flying car, a giant mecha robot, a boomerang that returns to himself on its own, a mask that creates a hologram to disguise himself and all his other fabulous gadgets
    not only to mention that he help build an A.I. that can take over the world

Its not that I dont think he shouldnt be smart, is just that there is a point where it just becomes too incredible to accept which is why somethings like Batman Earth One or the Dark Knight movies delegate those things to Lucius Fox and it kind of works there

so should Batman be a scientific genius?
    Batman would have to be a genius to do the things you are okay with
    Once they started saying Bruce had photographic memory and that he was basically creating new forms of science to stop some of his rogues 20+ years ago people could have called foul but now its generally become a fact that Batman is one of the smartest people on the planet in the DCU.
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 05-14-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Batman never even makes my top ten or twenty "smartest DCU characters" lists - spots reserved for mostly super-scientists and super-engineers. This does not mean he's not brilliant.

But I look at him, to use an easy metaphor, like Mario in any given Mario sport/racing game. He's a real Renaissance Man - he's good at EVERYTHING he does (you know, on the "Normal Humans" scale of comparison). But he's only "the best" at a couple of those things. He's the ALL-AROUND guy. Luigi can jump higher (Dick Grayson). Peach is all about technique (Babs). Wario's the heavyweight (Someone like Bane).

He's not even the best detective (Cough, Ralph). But adding his Renaissance prowess, kung-fu mastery and meditation skills to his detective work garners that there "Greatest" moniker.
    Yeah this pretty much.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    How can Batman be everything else and not be a genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Batman would have to be a genius to do the things you are okay with
    Im talking about being a scientific genius and not just being a genius on a sense of being super smart guy

In reality Albert Einstein was one of the greatest mind of his era but that doesnt mean he was an expert on every single field of science, just physics
    maybe I can accept that Batman is an expert in engineering or chemistry to make his gadgets but how does that help him make a flying car or program an A.I.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Once they started saying Bruce had photographic memory and that he was basically creating new forms of science to stop some of his rogues 20+ years ago people could have called foul but now its generally become a fact that Batman is one of the smartest people on the planet in the DCU.
    for one Photographic memory doesnt work like that
    second, does he have photographic memory?
    and third even if he had it and worked like that, how does that help him design/built all of his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah, for sure. In my mind Batman is simply a man who has trained his body to the peak of perfection and has studied the art of the detective to great lengths. He's Sherlock Holmes. Dick Grayson is Watson. I think it makes him a lot less interesting to make him a genius. It takes away the journey.
    being fair Sherlock Holmes was an expert in some sciences too

But my point is not if he would be able to make some of those things or not
    is more like should someone else like Lucius Fox for example do it for him instead as it would make more sense
    and I think it would

No. Lucius Fox always being in on the secret from day 1 is not a good idea.

It's part of the character from early on; being someone who is at his peak mentally and physically. Bill Finger described him as 'Sherlock Holmes in the body of Douglas Fairbanks [Zorro actor]'.

I can understand him being a master Detective and escape artist. However, I have always been iffy on Batman being a great engineer as well. Hence why I was glad when Nolan had Lucius Fox fill in that role. Though ideally, it should be a collaborative effort with them building stuff together. I don't mind Bruce being good at it but I don' see him as being Stark or Reed levels of inventor. It has always felt more like something for plot convenience to explain where he gets all the tech from or to fit him on the team. If he can build something like Brother Eye, why doesn't he use that genius for something beneficial for the greater society? After all, characters like Reed Richards and Tony Stark have to deal with the effects of their inventions on society.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly