Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Co-signed and x10 on the bold. It's one of those touchy and borderline inappropriate subjects IMHO that has historically gone to hell on these boards. And I can't help but see pure ignorance when I read some of these posts lol. Wow...SMH
    I get that some fans don't like Storm but to erase her race, deny its existence, deny it any part in her character is the very heart of racism and foolishness.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    Wasn't bishop only Half or Something?
    Bishop was intended to be African American. Depicted as such in other media too (to this very day). Claremont changed him into having Aboriginal descent. From what side of the family is the question. I remember also that he always thought that Monet St. Croix reminded him of his mother.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Brazil is in South America.
    Yeah I know.

It's a typo via bad cut and paste.

Original sentence. "You do know that Brazil has the largest population of black people, right?"

Reply. Paste. Forgot to finish "in North America". Uh oh. Edit. Then your reply.

It happens.

There's more btw. Feel free to respond.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-15-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    Marvel used to have one very kick ass black american mutant who was smart, cute,friendly, a good leader and relateable to many who were not black but Marvel blew him up.

Attachment 22050
    To this day....to this very day....I'm still angry about that.

You have a perfect example of a positive black hero. I read Generation X since day one and Synch was one of my favorite heroes. But nope....he's killed off.

It was explained that Synch's death would be the catalyst of something, but it was already done before with Blink's death being the catalyst for Generation X. He should have never been killed....especially in that way.

And then they kill off Jesse Bedlam too and I liked him in X-Force.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-15-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Incredible Member

Speaking of Generation X.....there's another who gets similar treatment.

Monet St. Croix (and Claudette, Nicole, and Marius St. Croix)....Afro-Monegasque father (And before someone says anything, no Monet's father wasn't white. Two completely different X-Men characters with same last name and different backgrounds.) and mother from Algeria (And Algerians are many backgrounds and shades of people).

But some say none of the St. Croix kids count as having African descent. And you have Monet's skin lightened at times just like Sunspot.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-15-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    lol, nobody sees Sunspot like that. The people demand Synch! Maybe he's already waiting on the moon for them.
    If you're Blink? "Resurrection!" (Gill, Street Fighter III)

If you're Synch? Get killed off despite the fact that your power to synch can go past city blocks.

If you're Skin? Get killed off with your name written wrong.

If you're Husk? Date a much older X-Men, go crazy, and see something in the guy that tried to kill you and other things in Generation X. Oh and forget the two dead teammates.

If you're Chamber? Go through changes and forget the two dead teammates.

If you're Jubilee? Forget the other two dead teammates despite having closeness/feelings for one.

If you're Monet? Get changed up to the point of being completely different and forget the other two.....oh and one being her major love and the guy who influenced her.

And dead two? Get one single errored panel in Necrosha.

(And if you're Mondo or Gaia, limbo. Then again, Mondo is a whole different case.)
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-15-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    When her parents were African-American journalist David Munroe:

and African 'princess' N'Dare:

all I can say to that is... yeah, right. That one story has as much relevance to the continuity of the character as the one where Hercules tows a floating Manhattan around using big chains.
    Yep. And last I checked, nothing has changed when it comes to her birth parents.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    We've had some discussions about that panel here and it's one of the many issues I've had with the X-office over the years.

This plus the complete destruction of Lucas Bishop make me wonder just how committed the X-books were when promoting non-white characters. As of today, there are no prominent black males on the X-men and if Storm (according to Claremont's nonsense) isn't really black.........there isn't much more to say is there.

Just wanted to put that out without derailing the thread.
    And what's even more messed up is when you look at all the dead and/or limbo'd non-white characters. Especially on the black male side. There's a lot of them.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-15-2015 at 12:16 PM.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    Why would the kid have to classify as black just because he looked like what you consider a typical North African.You are aware that Italians have features that are similar to people that live in N Africa. Those features are also shared by people that live along the Mediterranean Sea. LOL Are you serious there is no such thing as a typical North African. In Libya alone you can find several different tribes that have different physical characteristics the berber tribe looks different than the Toubou tribe and that is just in one country. However o enlightened one please tell us what typical North African features are because a Nubian and a Algerian will not share the same features. Just because someone looks like they have the characteristics of a group does not mean that they are of that race. Genetics is more than just outside looks.

So sense you are insinuating that people are speaking from ignorance. You sound very ignorant stating that a kid from Italy should have to classify as black because he was darker than you and had what YOU CONSIDER TYPICAL NORTH AFRICAN FEATURES.Now that sounds like despicable dated ignorance.
    He was genetically negroid. Both his parents. He didn't understand that nationality =/= race. Don't start this issue with me, I was clear. Italian isn't a race. If someone were to ask my ethnicity, it's Brazilian-American, nationality American but my race is black. He was a black kid with black parents that migrated to Italy had him, then moved to the U.S. That's his story in a nutshell (and why none of them spoke any Italian).

You're one of those people that looks for holes. "Bleach will kill you" I say. Your retort "Well, we don't know that. It may kill, it may not." If it walks like a duck and quacks, it's not a bloody dog.

Also, typical negroid features from West(that's what I meant; pardon me as I had just come from overnight party and was tipsy as phuc) Africa isn't ignorant, it's a fact. Excuse me that my vernacular didn't sugarcoat the point. Black is black. It's unfortunate that whenever the question of one's race is brought up, if they are black people are quick to whitewash it, make up some bullsh!t excuse for it, or plain not accept it. That only happens with black characters or characters with black parents and it's disgusting. Taz, step tfo.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post
    You have to understand what "black" means to that person.Some people see word "Black" as referring to American who have African decent.More than couple times in i have seen Latino,Africans,etc quickly state that they aren't "Black" in real life when their skin was dark than mine .For some people "Black" refers to a culture ,For some people "Black" refers to a Race of people.The simple avoidance of this problem is using he or she is Afro-American,Afro-Brazilian or Afro-Caribbean.
    Black is a race. You have various cultures based off of that race, but black culture varies from region to region (much like how no white culture is uniform or no culture in the asian world is). There is no jusification in stigmatizing a race. That's like me refusing to accept being homo due to the overly sexual nature attributed to the community or me denying to be black because of the culture of black people in the hood.

American blacks =/= the only type of blacks. I'm a black latino (latino isn't a race, btw). Do I agree that all blacks shouldn't be slumped into African American? Absolutely. I'm not African-American, I'm not from Africa and at this point my family has been mixed with different races for centuries (and my father is an afro-latino from Brazil). Those people are in their region for the same reason I am in mine, regardless. Dismissing their heritage, outright discriminating against it, because of a stigma to a particular culture that also identifies with the race is ridiculous.

Those are the type of people who say "Iggy Azalea acts like a black girl." when no she absolutely does not: "She acts HOOD." People need to understand that isn't synonymous with being black. The behaviour from the hood community and whatnot is the excuse countless Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Africans, etc. with negroid descent dismiss the black classification and it's a benighted view of an issue. Also, people seem to forget the very real issues regarding race discrimination within those places I mentioned. The only black person who refuses to see themselves as a black person is that black person.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It is not a simple thing to simply say that Bobby is simply black. Brazilians are beautiful, walking melting pots.

Also, how often has Bobby been featured as a major player in the X-Men mythos compared to his best friend Sam?

Bobby shined pretty bright as an Avenger.

Black men simply are not key components to the X-Men experience despite drawing from the black experience in real life.

The Storm comment was a joke as some panels have suggested that Storm is a composite of all races (despite having a Kenyan mother & an American born black father).

This whole exchange came from you trying to dictate some point unto me.

But hey, X-Men are representing the LGBT experience.
    Brown skin? The image states "brown skin."

She's a filipina. Yehey!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Yep. And last I checked, nothing has changed when it comes to her birth parents.
    And, you would be absolutely correct...

Ororo's parents are brown skinned (Also Known As, "Black" in the United States) thus, making Ororo an African American by race and definition...

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Brown skin? The image states "brown skin."

She's a filipina. Yehey!
    With an African mother and an African American father? Yea, that sounds about right to me
    Last edited by ZNOP; 05-15-2015 at 01:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess View Post
    He was genetically negroid. Both his parents. He didn't understand that nationality =/= race. Don't start this issue with me, I was clear. Italian isn't a race. If someone were to ask my ethnicity, it's Brazilian-American, nationality American but my race is black. He was a black kid with black parents that migrated to Italy had him, then moved to the U.S. That's his story in a nutshell (and why none of them spoke any Italian).

You're one of those people that looks for holes. "Bleach will kill you" I say. Your retort "Well, we don't know that. It may kill, it may not." If it walks like a duck and quacks, it's not a bloody dog.

Also, typical negroid features from West(that's what I meant; pardon me as I had just come from overnight party and was tipsy as phuc) Africa isn't ignorant, it's a fact. Excuse me that my vernacular didn't sugarcoat the point. Black is black. It's unfortunate that whenever the question of one's race is brought up, if they are black people are quick to whitewash it, make up some bullsh!t excuse for it, or plain not accept it. That only happens with black characters or characters with black parents and it's disgusting. Taz, step tfo.
    Thank you. Great post.

How has this thread lasted this long?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    How has this thread lasted this long?
    You don't want me to answer that question