Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    Plenty of characters have had parents shown on panel to later have that changed.We live in the age of the retcon for the hell of it.Showing your parents on panel means nothing, wanna be safe show your mother giving birth, and you might be able to avoid having Marvel pull a Quicksilver on you. The X-office has changed the race of a characters parents before to justify the race change of a character(Melita Garner). One of panels such as that have been used to change the origin of characters before and will be used again.
    And have they changed who Ororo's parents are? Get back to me when that's the case.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    And have they changed who Ororo's parents are? Get back to me when that's the case.
    My point is showing parents on panel means nothing. RECENT EXAMPLE QUICKSILVER and SCARLETT WITCH. Well according to that panel they don't need to change her parents at all if they did want to change her race they could use a tactic that Marvel does often and use a obscure out of left-field panel to justify the change.

New JerZ. You KNOW something! Tell me what you know!

I just wanna add one thing to this awful thread: where you are from does not make you not a specific race. I.E. you don't have to have direct African ancestors to classify as black. I have european features due to generations of slavery and whatnot but just because I don't look anything like someone in North Africa doesn't make me non-black. Reminds of this kid I used to go to school with who refused to classify as black (even though he looked like your typical north african with very dark skin and coarse hair as well as the body structure) specifically because he was born in Italy. Compared to him, I was frickin Snow White but he convinced himself that being born in a particular region makes you not a race. #stupidity

Jesus Christ the race issue when it comes to black characters on this board is atrocious. "Bishop isn't black, he's Austrailain." "Storm isn't black!" "Monet and Sunspot are biracial so not black." etc. It's peeving. If you don't know of the subject beyond despicably dated ignorance, do not share your thoughts. Thanks.
    Author of X-Forums.

Follow Goddess on Instagram.

Spectacular Member

You have to understand what "black" means to that person.Some people see word "Black" as referring to American who have African decent.More than couple times in i have seen Latino,Africans,etc quickly state that they aren't "Black" in real life when their skin was dark than mine .For some people "Black" refers to a culture ,For some people "Black" refers to a Race of people.The simple avoidance of this problem is using he or she is Afro-American,Afro-Brazilian or Afro-Caribbean.

BANNED

Why fight over this? Visible minorities are under represented, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    Wasn't bishop only Half or Something?

Marvel used to have one very kick ass black american mutant who was smart, cute,friendly, a good leader and relateable to many who were not black but Marvel blew him up.

Attachment 22050
    Everyone from Gen X is still alive except Synch and Skin, it's embarrassing.

Mighty Member

I am a person that is of multiracial ancestry, and I identify as such.
    I don't identify as just black because it makes no sense.
    I always thought the one drop rule was stupid, racist and outdated.
    After all, there are no anti-miscegenation laws in USA.
    There is an option to identify as multiple races on forms.

The one drop rule in USA was created to keep the white race pure.
    There has been much mixing in USA.
    Most African Americans are mixed with European and DNA testing has confirmed that.

I identified as multiracial for both 2000 and 2010 US Censuses.

My Genealogical ancestry

My father's side:

His father was African American with French Creole.

His mother was African American with Acadian (Eastern French Canadian) and English.

There are also genetic connections to Amerindians (USA,Canada,or both), but I don't know which side of the family it's coming from

My mother's side:

My mother's ancestry is very mixed and diverse, and so I have to break it down.

My maternal grandfather's paternal grandparents were immigrants from the Cape Verde Islands which were a part of Portugal. They were of mixed Portuguese and SubSaharan African ancestry. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother's parents were immigrants from the Madeira Islands of Portugal. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother's paternal grandfather was from the Azores. They were Portuguese and might have had some recent African ancestry. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandfather was an immigrant from Puerto Rico. He was of mixed Spanish,African,and Taino ancestry. I suspect that there was Sephardic Jewish ancestry in all the relatives that I mentioned.

My maternal grandmother was a bit of a Euro-mix. My maternal grandmother's father was the descendant of American Colonial lines from England,Germany (Prussia),Ireland,Scotland,Wales,Holland,and Switzerland. He also had a late 18th Century Scottish immigrant ancestor. There was also supposed to be some Cherokee Nation ancestors, but I don't know for sure. There are genetic connections to Quebecois French,Acadians,and Danes.

My maternal grandmother's mother was Ashkenazi Jewish with a father from Romania and a mother from Riga,Latvia. There are some genetic connections to Eastern Europeans,Swedes,and Finns.
    Last edited by Starrius; 05-15-2015 at 05:21 AM.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I'm not sure where I saw this, but Claremont's intent with Storm was always to make her sort of this pan-racial exotic beauty. You can see it in one of the panels during the Dark Phoenix Saga, where Jean is having this hallucination that she's on a plantation and sees Storm as one of her slaves, who has a completely different face from her normal one, which Byrne typically just drew as a palette swap of Jean. I don't think many other writers took that same tack, but she's never really been portrayed in an authentic or believable way.
    Here (UXM #134):

Storm's complicated race definition was there right from the start. CC mentioned it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess View Post
    I just wanna add one thing to this awful thread: where you are from does not make you not a specific race. I.E. you don't have to have direct African ancestors to classify as black. I have european features due to generations of slavery and whatnot but just because I don't look anything like someone in North Africa doesn't make me non-black. Reminds of this kid I used to go to school with who refused to classify as black (even though he looked like your typical north african with very dark skin and coarse hair as well as the body structure) specifically because he was born in Italy. Compared to him, I was frickin Snow White but he convinced himself that being born in a particular region makes you not a race. #stupidity

Jesus Christ the race issue when it comes to black characters on this board is atrocious. "Bishop isn't black, he's Austrailain." "Storm isn't black!" "Monet and Sunspot are biracial so not black." etc. It's peeving. If you don't know of the subject beyond despicably dated ignorance, do not share your thoughts. Thanks.
    Why would the kid have to classify as black just because he looked like what you consider a typical North African.You are aware that Italians have features that are similar to people that live in N Africa. Those features are also shared by people that live along the Mediterranean Sea. LOL Are you serious there is no such thing as a typical North African. In Libya alone you can find several different tribes that have different physical characteristics the berber tribe looks different than the Toubou tribe and that is just in one country. However o enlightened one please tell us what typical North African features are because a Nubian and a Algerian will not share the same features. Just because someone looks like they have the characteristics of a group does not mean that they are of that race. Genetics is more than just outside looks.

So sense you are insinuating that people are speaking from ignorance. You sound very ignorant stating that a kid from Italy should have to classify as black because he was darker than you and had what YOU CONSIDER TYPICAL NORTH AFRICAN FEATURES.Now that sounds like despicable dated ignorance.
    Last edited by Tazpocalapse; 05-15-2015 at 08:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    Yes i believe Claremont did. I don't have a problem with her hair or eye color. Basketball skills are not a characteristic of any racial group.
    Claremont writing what one doctor thinks isn't the same as thinking the x office doesn't think she's black. Claremont always saw storm as a black woman. This thread is awful and needs to go.
    Last edited by Arya; 05-15-2015 at 09:50 AM.

BANNED

Yes, it's just one doctor's opinion, who had gone 48 hours without sleep then cracks and starts leading people on a leash through a junkyard in BDSM gear, I might add (They simply don't make good comics like this anymore). Context, guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    Claremont writing what one doctor thinks isn't the same as thinking the x office doesn't think she's black. Claremont always saw storm as a black woman. This thread is awful and needs to go.
    If you don't like the thread you don't have to view it.If you find it so awful avert your eyes. I find some threads not to my liking i don't go on them and comment how i feel about the subject or state it needs to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    Co-signed and x10 on the bold. It's one of those touchy and borderline inappropriate subjects IMHO that has historically gone to hell on these boards. And I can't help but see pure ignorance when I read some of these posts lol. Wow...SMH
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Incredible Member

Ok wait hold up whoa....

*looks at Storms parents*

If she's not black, the Grand Canyon is a golf hole.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It was explained more than once (with scans from other posters) that as a Brazilian, Sunspot cannot be simply classified as only black.
    You do know that Brazil has the largest population of black people that's larger than the blacks in North America right?

http://en.mercopress.com/2009/04/25/...rity-in-brazil

And I mean black as in "has African descent".

There are Brazilian people who identify with black. There are some that do not. there are some that identify with the terms used ("pardo" and "preto"). But Sunspot did identify as such and it's weird that his skin has been lightened over the years and all types of changes happen with him. Having a non Afro or non Brazilian period actor play him in the X-Movies is just off to me. Especially when his origin story actually deals with racism because of Sunspot having black descent.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 05-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    You do know that Brazil has the largest population of black people in North America right?
    Brazil is in South America.