Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think Slott believes that Peter's love interests are shallow.

He might believe Peter is shallow, although the comics arguably back that up. Peter tends to be interested in good-looking women.
    Slott does believe that Peter is shallow, but is he interested in them solely because they're good-looking?

most of the Peter's love life is shallow because the writers like the live vicariously through him

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Slott does believe that Peter is shallow, but is he interested in them solely because they're good-looking?
    I don't think he liked Liz Allen because of her personality.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Fissiks View Post
    most of the Peter's love life is shallow because the writers like the live vicariously through him
    Except there have been many married and seriously committed writers who have put their own experiences into the Spider-Marriage and other Peter romance stories.

When has Peter ever shown a romantic interest in Liz after he graduated from high school?

Yeah but Liz was often very flattering to Pete (even if her initial intention was just to use him for better grades, although she would later on genuinely defend him when Flash started trash talking him) if you were the social outcast of Midtown High, and one of the popular girls started to take an interest in you, I think you'd find yourself enamored as well.

BANNED

He might believe Peter is shallow, although the comics arguably back that up. Peter tends to be interested in good-looking women.
    Isn't it the other way around too, that good-looking women are interested in him?

Peter is a fictional character. He doesn't HAVE to be with stereotypically beautiful women...

Poor Liz. Everyone forgets that her name is supposed to be Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    When has Peter ever shown a romantic interest in Liz after he graduated from high school?
    When Liz came back to the book, Peter was dating the much hotter MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Valuing a person for their intelligence is just as shallow as valuing them for their beauty.
    That is a fair point.

Women arguably have less control over intelligence.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It's Slott's view that Peter is shallow because of the women he was attracted to, but he was trying to boost Otto up while leaving out some facts.
    Like how Otto immediately tried to get with MJ once he was in Peter's body, or anything the other girls he met before Anna Maria.

And the fact is no artist is gonna draw a plain looking character and believe the character will stick around.

I’m not sure I agree with this. I like women who are attractive. I also like it when they’re kind, funny, and smart. Do any of these things make me shallow?

In Peter Parker’s case, I don’t think he’s dating these women for the sole reason that they’re attractive. Gwen, MJ, and even Felicia aren’t one-dimensional characters that exist as the sole embodiment of beauty—they’re well-developed characters with personalities and backgrounds all their own.

BANNED

MJ is an ideal woman and male fantasy, all of them are. Beautiful, Smart, Self sufficient, complex, and complete. Same with all of Peter's other love interest. None of them have a variable flaw that makes them distinctively average like real life women which leads me to believe that they are made to give Peter a fantasy to live out. But really Peter written like any other male cares about being attracted to hot chicks more than their"true" value. I've seen him flirt with Tigra and She Hulk for crying out loud!
    Last edited by jimishim12; 05-15-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    MJ is an ideal woman and male fantasy, all of them are. Beautiful, Smart, Self sufficient, complex, and complete. Same with all of Peter's other love interest. None of them have a variable flaw that makes them distinctively average like real life women which leads me to believe that they are made to give Peter a fantasy to live out. But really Peter written like any other male cares about being attracted to hot chicks more than their"true" value. I've seen him flirt with Tigra and She Hulk for crying out loud!
    Gwen - Most are familiar with the bland, perfect girlfriend from the Silver Age, but in her early appearances she was quite a shrew and was often nasty towards Peter.

MJ - Initially carefree and having no interest in commitment. She turned down his proposal twice and even after she and Peter married they still struggled with money, career ups and downs and the possibility of raising a family.

Felicia - I really shouldn't have to explain this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Gwen - Most are familiar with the bland, perfect girlfriend from the Silver Age, but in her early appearances she was quite a shrew and was often nasty towards Peter.

MJ - Initially carefree and having no interest in commitment. She turned down his proposal twice and even after she and Peter married they still struggled with money, career ups and downs and the possibility of raising a family.

Good examples. In addition, Betty Brant was very possessive and jealous while dating Peter, Felicia (just to elaborate) was a former criminal who had issues with Peter's civilian identity, and I believe Debra Whitman had a history of mental instability.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Positives outway the negatives. They could be Anna Maria, Debra and Silk at worst.

MJ was still a successful model/actress and club owner.

Gwen was as smart as Peter and as savvy.

Felicia was pretty much a better MJ in every respect, and was Spidey's equal in a fight, defeated Sabertooth, Lizard and Caranage. Is a grand thief and escape artist.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 05-15-2015 at 02:30 PM.