Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default So About That "Supergirl" Trailer...

CBR's Casey Gilly examines the outpouring of feedback following the first look at CBS' "Supergirl" TV series starring Melissa Benoist.

Full article here.

Mighty Member

Started out good, but half way through got a bit cheesy... you know that scene where Kara reveals her identity to the Barbie-looking guy? That just ruined it for me... Wait and see, of course. Can't judge a TV show from a 6+ minute trailer...

Edit: The "girly" part of the show was actually quite charming. Not all superheroines have to be tough as nails. A strong woman character is a complex character, not necessarily a tough character like the Black Widow.
    Last edited by solletaire; 05-15-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

I feel the same way as Casey Gilly, on all the points in this article.

I'm thrilled to see this; I hope it's as good or even better than the trailer.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

MrSinyster

Look, it can't be any worse than the Supergirl movie. I'll give it a few episodes.

I thought the whole thing looked like a lot of fun. The only thing the really bothered me was what felt like a need to constantly reference "her cousin". Obviously you want to get that across but it seemed like she said it about 40 times.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

All-New Member

Spot on analysis.

It is a girly show full of cliche but is okay because she got super powers.
    Just say you love those two things without making it so political.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Very down for this. But, then, loved the movie, too. And I suspect will see several of the same complaints ("Why so many young girls and hot guys?" "What do you mean there's a shot of horses? Who likes horses?" "Why does it need to be so girly all the time?").
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Incredible Member

Agreed with everything except the girl speech.I rolled my eyes so hard at that. Sometimes the best way to defend against something is to just ignore it.

Amazing Member

I thought the trailer was great and it looks like a fun show that doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm grateful to have it available. Most tv is so bad now so if I have a choice between Supergirl, Dance Moms or The Vanilla Ice Project, im choosing Supergirl. I think it'll be fun.

I'm honestly so excited to see this! I agree on all the points in the article.

Also, I'd just like to say that I'm one of the people who the article states may have never heard such positive things about the term "girl." "To be girly is bad, to be womanly is desired," etc etc. I know for some it may seem excessively political, but for me, it really was great to hear, especially on a TV show (even if this was just the trailer).

Amazing Member

Just call it 27 Capes.

Fantastic Member Supergirl's Pal's Avatar

Words cannot describe how happy I am that a Supergirl TV is on the horizon. November cannot come soon enough.

All-New Member

Personally, I loved the trailer and the actress playing her is going to kill this role (trust me). I showed it to my daughter, and she's pretty damn excited too. (Although I have a slight disclaimer - she saw the SNL Black Widow trailer and wanted to know when that funny movie was going to come out.)

As far as reading Supergirl, go with Peter David's run. It's not the origin most people know (and not the one the TV show is based on), but I feel he gets the characterization of her correct. Unfortunately, there aren't trades of most of his run, so...um, maybe you can find them "elsewhere?"

I would like to know Ms Gilly's thoughts on the argument that the Cat Grant/Kara "Girl" scene actually misses *the* point and infantilizes Kara.

Personally, I never thought "girl" was or should ever be infantilizing to women. I can completely understand how & why it is and respect those who take issue with it, but I never truly agreed with that POV regarding the word. I thought the scene (indirectly) addressed the infantilizing notion by having Cat say that she was a girl and that it's not something to balk at. It's not something dirty or immature like people would like us to believe. It's just another name that holds true to the female characteristics of strength, resilience, intelligence, maturity, and determination.
    Last edited by teddyeatsyourface; 05-15-2015 at 11:15 AM.