Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Ms. Marvel, #15

"Ms. Marvel" #15 wraps up the "Crushed" storyline, and G. Willow Wilson and Takeshi Miyazawa deal with last issue's betrayal as Kamala finds herself all alone... or, rather, almost alone.

Full review here.

*Well, whatever Wilson thinks about Lineage... spoilers:
    it doesn't matter because he's dead (if only for a while), since last week's Inhumans Annual literally takes place after this issue ends and Karnak comes back to life at his expense.
    end of spoilers

*Again, no actual shapeshifting to speak of from Kamala.

*Whoever the other Inhumans in Kamala's bloodline are, they likely aren't her parents or brother since the mist would have gotten them that night (and being indoors doesn't matter, as we'e seen that it'll get you no matter where you are if you're Inhuman). I suspect this also may have to do with the black cocoon she burst out of in the beginning, as normal Terrigenesis cocoons don't look like hers. A shame Secret Wars is going to derail things just when the plot was starting to thicken, because it looks like there's something about Kamala that makes her different from even the other Inhumans...

*How long was Wilson waiting to make the obvious Star Trek reference?
    Last edited by Myetche; 05-15-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

It's amazing how consistent this series has been. Every issue seems to find a way to make Kamala Khan more lovable. I've since stopped being shocked by that and I think this issue, along with the previous one, had a great impact. G. Willow Wilson did something that most tend to skip over. She took the time to establish that Kamala really did like this guy. She really had genuine feelings for him. That made his betrayal in this issue so much harder. I didn't like that he ended up being the generic "buttwipe" that Kamala called him. But it still had a great impact. Kamala is still a teenage girl and she's going to have moments like this, her heart getting broken by a boy she really likes. And that's what makes this whole series so great.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Fantastic Member

I love this series and Kamala Khan. I'm a bit disappointed she is not part of the new A-Force title, but she is going to be in the New Avengers title. I'm not convinced that Kamala is ready for that kind of exposure/level of power, but I guess every superhero has to grow by doing!

The cover of the next/last Ms. Marvel issue is absolutely great - Kamala with her arms wrapped around Captain Marvel's waist, grinning from ear to ear as she and her idol/hero fly off into adventure. I'm really looking forward to that meeting. One thing: I read in Wikipedia that Kamala first appeared in an issue of Captain Marvel from November 2013. I don't remember this at all - was she one of the Carol Corps?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    One thing: I read in Wikipedia that Kamala first appeared in an issue of Captain Marvel from November 2013. I don't remember this at all - was she one of the Carol Corps?
    Captain Marvel #17. Kamala is on the very last page as she morphs a muscle on her arm to foreshadow her then-upcoming debut.
    Last edited by Myetche; 05-17-2015 at 06:51 PM.

IIRC though, wasn't there a bit of a retcon in one of the CM issues that had one of the civilians rescued by Carol to be Kamala?

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    *How long was Wilson waiting to make the obvious Star Trek reference?
    I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING at that moment. He also threw in 2 Star Wars homages.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    It's amazing how consistent this series has been. Every issue seems to find a way to make Kamala Khan more lovable.
    Agreed. Although at times so many quiet personal moments do create lulls in the pacing that have to be endured.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    The cover of the next/last Ms. Marvel issue is absolutely great - Kamala with her arms wrapped around Captain Marvel's waist, grinning from ear to ear as she and her idol/hero fly off into adventure. I'm really looking forward to that meeting.
    Me too!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Does anyone else think that she's lost her boyfriend because Marvel wants to have her in a love triangle with Miles (who got the same treatment) and Sam in ANADA?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Does anyone else think that she's lost her boyfriend because Marvel wants to have her in a love triangle with Miles (who got the same treatment) and Sam in ANADA?
    No. Everybody more or less knew Kamran was going to betray her the moment he appeared in #13, so he was never considered her boyfriend. Bruno, on the other hand, is clearly being set up as her soul-mate via the classic "secret lovers who supposedly can never be together" cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    No. Everybody more or less knew Kamran was going to betray her the moment he appeared in #13, so he was never considered her boyfriend. Bruno, on the other hand, is clearly being set up as her soul-mate via the classic "secret lovers who supposedly can never be together" cliche.
    Yeah, that 'relationship (potential)' is moving ahead an acceptably entertaining pace so far but one quibble with this issue is how impractical/illogical/illadvised Bruno's execution of their grand 'call for backup' protocol involved him personally hightailing his normal human butt to the fantastical alien nation across the sea in time to rescue Kamala... with what? His good looks?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Nope, almost everyone thought that he was evil since his introduction.