Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    You don't understand; if a comic book fan doesn't like something it automatically becomes 90's!
    Exactly. The 90s complaint has become a parody of itself at this point.

Fantastic Member TrooperCameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    He was in Future's End, and people were speculating he might be Aquaman's teammate, The P.O.W.
    Ahh ok. Saw him flying in one issue, didn't know he could do that.

BANNED

Yeah some of these covers look messed up in their future looks. I mean I'm just getting sick just look at them.

As if the new 52 isn't messed up already. And the Wally cover looks almost like Cyborg without most of the metal parts.

Actually you know, excise the Marvel and whatever characters there ... I'd read the hell out of a Wally & Cyborg & Aqualad & Static book with regular guests from Steel, Hardware, Manta and Black Lightning. You couldn't tear that book away from me.
    Agreed, totally. The New Titans, perhaps?

Wally's is probably the only look that's going to carry over. That's why its the only one that looks like a legitimate long-term design.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wally's is probably the only look that's going to carry over. That's why its the only one that looks like a legitimate long-term design.

^THIS!^ TIMES THREE

I think there will be some tweaking of the design over the next couple years. But I agree with you--this is a design that will last in terms of nailing the basics of giving him a unique and distinctive look that works well for the character.

Can't wait to see Wally get his powers now!

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    But it has quite a bit of chrome. People always seem to forget the chrome in the 90s. It's not all belts, pouches and pads you know.
    Those were the most prominent things, that's why people remember them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm...

So we're probably getting a Damian clone out of Robin Rises, no?
    Spoilers!!!! God damnit Fhiz, who do you think you are?!

PS. Hooray for Lagoon Boy's return for DC Comics lol! :b I loved him in Young Justice cartoon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Those were the most prominent things, that's why people remember them.
    Yet the covers you just posted as examples are loaded with it. The coloring just hadn't advanced to computers yet.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Yet the covers you just posted as examples are loaded with it. The coloring just hadn't advanced to computers yet.
    Pouches, shoulder pads and belts, that's what people remember the 90's for.

Nobody ever mentions chrome.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Exactly. The 90s complaint has become a parody of itself at this point.
    I'll give the 90s designers this ... that extra-spikes/extra-sized guns/extra pouches/extra straps and Mortal Kombat, steroided style of heroing was like engineered with precision to appeal to my brain. 90-94, that is. I mean I wrote and created characters in those days primarily in the fantasy mold, but you'd better believe the armor was spikey and the quivers and scabbards were strapped all over.

I turned 5 in 1990, just on the aside. Ages 5-9 were my big comic time. Right during Knightfall. GOD how Azrael's Batman costume appealed to me.

By ten I thought super-heroes were stupid, except for Ninja Turtles nostalgia. I actually still hold TMNT ... and Hama's G.I. Joe ... in like higher esteem than Marvel & DC combined. But even as a little tot I understood they were a parody and were punk as funk. Video-games destroyed them. 1996. Nintendo 64 came. Killed comics for me. Not reading, I read heavy prose then. Not so much comics. No time to read something that's not dense if it's not interactive. No time to draw, Ganons to beat. Although I don't think anybody escaped the quality of Batman: The Animated Series, it was re-runs later, when I'd started viewing the world a bit differently that brought me back to understanding just how quality that was.

The thing about the 90s is it worked. I mean I was already a little artist kid when 1989 was wrapping up, but I did copy Jim Lee comics and read Spawn and think it was all the coolest, most brutal thing ever. I learned quite a bit from that era, and honed some skills, and so forth.

Of course then I grew up and went to high school and all the bad habits I'd picked up from copying artists with no observational skills about human anatomy kind of resurfaced a bit. That was a pain to let go of, that garbage anatomy 90s short-hand style of drawing. I had to consciously shift styles to a more manga-influenced eye just to shake the habit. Thank god I shook it all completely off by the time I hit art school.

The Nineties - getting kids WICKED excited about EXTREME crappy art. I view it with a wary eye now, but I'm not cynical about it. That period and those artists succeeded. (They never grew as artists, got better, or got out of bad habits, but they surely succeeded!) And not all of the art was bad, either. Calafiore was doing Aquaman back then. Sure, the designs were bad, but that guy's art was gorgeous. You look at it, it "Feels 90s", but then you look at Secret Six from a couple years ago and it "Feels 2010".
    Last edited by K. Jones; 05-23-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    But with that costume, do we really want it?
    Costume is not bad at all. I'd prefer a closed cowl and the red and silver to be reversed, but I kind of liked it.

It was designed to be cool and unique, instead of being designed to be "not as cool as Barry's". Intent matters.

If we are going to discuss this topic furthur I would just like to mention some points we should agree upon:

> even if you don't like these comic revamps, they still are no where near as bad as some of these 90's ones
    > costumes really are a superficial issue. If I didn't want to read stories with bad costumes we would have a lot of pretty looking pictures with no substance
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Always Rakzo

I turned 5 in 1990, just on the aside. Ages 5-9 were my big comic time. Right during Knightfall. GOD how Azrael's Batman costume appealed to me.
    Hey, we're the same age! High five!

... We're almost thirty.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Hey, we're the same age! High five!

... We're almost thirty.
    Maybe you are.

(Haven't hit 29 yet. Late twenties starts at 29, right?)
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com