Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC Comics Shares the Rest of Their Bombshell-Themed Variant Covers

Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern and more go vintage for these variants coming to 21 different covers this August.

Full article here.

All-New Member

Awesome covers and I really can't wait for the DC Bombshells series to come out.

So, of the variant Bombshells covers coming in August:
    * Action Comics #43
    * Aquaman #43
    * Batman #43
    * Batman/Superman #23
    * Catwoman #43
    * Deathstroke #9
    * Detective Comics #43
    * Flash #43
    * Grayson #11
    * Green Arrow #43
    * Green Lantern #43
    * Harley Quinn #19
    * Justice League #43
    * Justice League of America #3
    * New Suicide Squad #11
    * Secret Six #5
    * Sinestro #14
    * Superman #43
    * Superman / Wonder Woman #20
    * Teen Titans #11
    * Wonder Woman #43
    which ones do people plan to try and get?

------------------------
    I'm hoping for Batman #43, Batman/Superman #23. Catwoman #43, Detective Comics #43, and Green Arrow #43. Might also get a few others to try the books out anyway (that's what I'm doing with Green Arrow and the Black Canary cover).

BANNED

Depends on how the package works out at Discount Comic Book Service. I'll either get all of them, or none of them.

Mighty Member

I'm getting the Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Sinestro covers.

BANNED

I find it amusing that Batgirl doesn't get variant covers at all any more.

It's like "well you didn't like that ONE so we're just not going to do them any more - nya!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post

It's like "well you didn't like that ONE so we're just not going to do them any more - nya!"
    Probably the creative team thinks variant covers are "too mainstream".

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Dumb gimmick that will just encourage DC to do more such gimmicks rather than improve their comics.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Or it could be that if the variants are handled by a different part of the company, like the marketing side, they're afraid to try her again after that screw-up with the Joker-variant cover?

(I didn't have as much of a problem with that cover, but the $#!^storm that resulted probably wasn't what WB/DC wanted.)

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Dumb gimmick that will just encourage DC to do more such gimmicks rather than improve their comics.
    But this "gimmick" isn't really that bothersome to me . . . they're an option and so far have been available at the same cover price. A few of them did have me deciding to give a few books a try I hadn't been buying but was thinking about, so they worked on that level for me. (Now, offering five-to-ten variant covers for a single issue does cause me to roll my eyes much more.)

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I'll be getting the Secret Six #5 Bombshell variant for sure, also for Black Alice. Might get the Bombshells variants for Batman #43, Deathstroke #9, and Harley Quinn #19. I really like the Ravager cover, and the Deathstroke issue features Superman before the new status quo, so I'm interested in buying that.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or it could be that if the variants are handled by a different part of the company, like the marketing side, they're afraid to try her again after that screw-up with the Joker-variant cover?

(I didn't have as much of a problem with that cover, but the $#!^storm that resulted probably wasn't what WB/DC wanted.)
    I'm not trying to drag the whole thing back up, but in terms of telling Marketing what to do, I think it would be a fairly simple rule - just make sure Batgirl is "winning" in whatever she is doing on the cover of her own comic.

I'm not trying to drag the whole thing back up, but in terms of telling Marketing what to do, I think it would be a fairly simple rule - just make sure Batgirl is "winning" in whatever she is doing on the cover of her own comic.
    My guess would be that Batgirl readers are seen to be less likely to increase their purchases based on a variant cover. Batgirl's got a new less traditionally superhero style and it's possible that people are less likely to try an issue based on a variant cover and/or those reading the book would be less likely to buy a second issue. Some books are probably seen as money machones with variant covers.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

If DC releases Bombshell variant covers next year, I really hope they get Joëlle Jones to do some covers.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Considering a huge chunk of her fanbase are feminists who spend a lot of time decrying the sexualization of women in comic books. Giving her a Bombshell variant cover couldn't end in anything but another controversy. DC marketing has learned their classic lesson 'Sometimes the only winning move is not to play'. We probably won't see any variant covers for her until their running a theme that can't possibly be taken the wrong way (Christmas theme or something like that, though I can see couple of ways that one could end badly too).
    Last edited by ilovelocust; 07-12-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Hmmm, so I want Aquaman, Grayson, Green Lantern, Harley Quinn, and Batman. Eh, maybe not Harley. I like the pose and characters, but it doesn't seem as well drawn as the others.