Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

This would be the third band I don't recall having heard of before.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Shirt Is Optional Member Attila Kiss's Avatar

Default My TOP 07 - 2015 click on the cover to watch the title track

REVERENCE - Gods Of War +1
    CD 2015
    Heavy Metal
    ★★★★★★★★★

Although, Savatage did not put out an album in 2015, it's members and associates kept themselves busy enough to leave a mark on last years release charts. Of all the productions presented, Steve "Doc" Wacholz's (drums) sideproject REVERENCE, takes the prize for the best effort. It's worth mentioning that Battle Cry is also one of my favorite metal song of 2015. The guitars are simply AWESOME! (click on the song title to hear it on YouTube)

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    This would be the third band I don't recall having heard of before.
    Really? For some reason I think you reported Stargazery's new release in your Music update thread, but I could be wrong. Surely, you must have heard of REVERENCE... being a huge SAVATAGE fan, like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post

Really? For some reason I think you reported Stargazery's new release in your Music update thread, but I could be wrong. Surely, you must have heard of REVERENCE... being a huge SAVATAGE fan, like myself.
    I might've reported on it, but I don't always keep the news items in my head. Heard of Reverence, think I got their first album and absolutely hated it.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Got these two cd's for a buck each at the flea market.

Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Default My TOP 6 - 2015 click on the cover to hear the instrumental "Hero's Quest"

BATTLE BEAST - Unholy Savior +2
    CD 2015
    Melodic Metal
    ★★★★★★★★★

While the future sound of BB is shrouded in mystery (the Band fired it's founding member and driving force: Anton Kabanen soon after the album was released... you got to love democracy) the Unholy Savior's January release withstand the onslaught of quality releases throughout the year, to secure it's place on my Top 10. Will the fans have two great acts to follow, or is this the beginning of the end? Time will tell, but until then, Unholy Savior sets the benchmark high to beat for both parties.

Heard of Reverence, think I got their first album and absolutely hated it.
    I don't blame you. I couldn't even listen to the whole first album, but they upped their game on Gods Of War, considerably. It comes highly recommend from these ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post

I don't blame you. I couldn't even listen to the whole first album, but they upped their game on Gods Of War, considerably. It comes highly recommend from these ears.
    I may just check it out. Not into Battle Beast though.

Default My TOP 05 -2015 click on the cover to hear "Temple Of Fear"

FREE FROM SIN - Free From Sin
    CD 2015
    Hard Rock
    ★★★★★★★★★

In times when Hard Rock is spliced into 1000's of sub-genre, for easier navigation, one Band (make it two) stands as a genre itself. I'm talking about Deep Purple/Rainbow. While Ritchie Blackmore writes songs that best suits his wife's voice and 3/5 of the core members rest on laurels, it's up to the new acts to capture the magic and fill the void. Sometimes tribute bands try with new material, and past members do tribute CD's for the glory days, but the trick is to just brush the giants and infuse enough originality into songs to gain the much desirable "influenced by" status. Per Englund and Patrik Lämborg, with few like minded friends did just that. Unfortunately, the CD suffers from low exposure and poor distribution, so any fans of the aforementioned band(s) will be wise to grab a copy, before it disappears from the market.

Grabbed the "Compton" (soundtrack?) album by Dr. Dre. It's a really good rap CD, I don't think any of the songs will be classics like on the Chronic albums, but the whole CD is great stuff.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Default My TOP 04 - 2015 click on the cover to hear "The Court Of Mirror Hall"

AMBERIAN DAWN - Innuendo +3
    CD 2015
    Pop Metal
    ★★★★★★★★★★
    In 2012, Tuomas Seppälä must have made a conscious decision to mess with ABBA, for the claim to the melodic throne. Capri, who at this point, already participated in Eurovison competitions with pop Bands from Finland, as well as possessing an angelic voice was a means to an end. Now here we are, two albums later, the Swedes reputation is on the line. Seriously... this album is one of the most melodic thing out there. I would also like to point out that Innuendo is one of those rare occasions were you definitely want to own the Limited Edition CD. If for nothing else, then for the "Fame And Gloria" Instrumental version. Why? Because it's not one of those misleading "instrumental" tracks, where you start the song and get bombed by the orchestral version (I'm looking at you Nightwish) or worst yet, a Karaoke version. (Yes, you Ayreon) No. Amberian Dawn gets it. They know what an instrumental version of the song should be. Vocals removed AND guitars added. Hopefully, this practice will become a new standard and catches on. Now, let me get my dancing shoes.

I've actually heard of this band.

Default My TOP 03 - 2015 click on the cover to hear "Lost To Love"

GHOST MACHINERY - Evil Undertow -Limited Ed.-
    Cardboard Sleeve CD 2015
    Melodic Metal
    ★★★★★★★★★★

Pete Ahonen must be the hardest working man in the industry. Ghost Machinery's 3rd CD fills the same numerical space on my list, and it's also the second project helmed by him to land on my Top 10. (First being STARGAZERY) This alone would be a great achievement for many musicians, but Pete is restless... He also had a third CD out last year, with BURNING POINT, plus numerous guest appearances on various, prominent metal releases. Beside playing guitars on Evil Undertow he also handles the vocal duties. As for the music... it's pure 80's melodic metal, like Grunge never happened. The songs are very Radio friendly, staying mostly within the 3 minute mark.

I've actually heard of this band.
    Cool. Things are already looking up.

Default My TOP 02 -2015 click on the cover to watch the title track

MARTINA EDOFF - Unity
    Digipack CD 2015
    AOR
    ★★★★★★★★★★

Martina is no stranger to the music scene. She was part of Dr. Alban and E-Type, collaborated with Ace Of Base (all highly successful melodic Pop acts from Sweden) and helped founding The Poodles. Her first self titled CD hinted her potential, but held her back in few songs coming of as Shania Twain clones. Martina possesses a voice much more powerful than the country superstar, so all she needed to do was to raise the bar to distinguish herself. This is where the band H.E.A.T. comes in. The keyboard player Jona Tee helped her write and mold the songs into pure AOR magic. He also brought along the rest of the musicians from the band, to perform the whole album. In a way this is what H.E.A.T. would sound like, with a female singer. Not only there is no filler on the album, but all songs smell like future hit singles.

Yep, I've heard of her.

Default My Top 01 - 2015 click on the cover to hear "The Destroyer"

MIKE ONESKO'S GUITAR ARMY - In The Name Of Rock N' Roll
    ft./ Bruce Bouillet / Brett Ellis / Dirty Dave Osti / Martin J. Andersen / Janne Stark / Jay Jesse Johnson / Craig Erickson / Doug Rappaport / Jeff Martin
    Gatefold Cardboard CD 2015
    Blues Rock
    ★★★★★★★★★★

Mike Who?
    You know, the one from Blindside Blues Band.
    No? How about all those Shrapnel Rec. tribute CD's dedicated to the greatest Blues guitarists, ever? He played rhythm guitar, pretty much on all of them.
    Still nothing? Well, this is why I consider "In The Name Of Rock N' Roll" a Revenge Of The Second Stringers. Onesko's Guitar Army is just as fameless as himself. I don't think the names of his guests mean anything to casual listeners, but.. boy, did they came prepared. The album should carry a Warning:Causes graphic air guitar tendencies, contains disturbing number of arpeggios and guitar solos. The trade offs are performed by professionals and should not be attempted at home. Sissy music lovers discretion is advised.

I picked up the 2009 reissued Motley Crue Greatest Hits CD yesterday.