Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Shirt Is Optional Member Attila Kiss's Avatar

Default 18. ASTERISM - Ignition

These Japanese youngsters work well as a unit, delivering Instrumental tracks with vigor. Hal-Ca, the female guitarist is only 15 years old, while the oldest member of the band is the drummer (19). Few tracks were produced by Bootsy Collins. Buckethead (Guns N Roses) shreds along, with Hal-Ca on couple of their tracks. The repertoire is varied. "Overdrive", a nearly 10 min. long track has elements of fury, melancholy, time changes and everything one would expect from an epic proportion, while leaving enough room for each player to shine on its own. Dio's "Stand Up And Shout" is also included on the disc as an expertly covered Instrumental.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Default 17. NAZARETH - Tattooed On My Brain

The dinosaurs of Hard Rock has steadily provided material for my collection up to the new millennium, when I felt they finally run out of gas.
    Pete Agnew is the only original member left in the band. The songs they gave us on TOMB reminded me a lot to their heydays. The only song that felt out of place was the closing track, "You Call Me", with its strange mix of a laid back Ballad and a monotone Blues.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Got delivery today of:

The Charlie Christian Collection 1939-41 [Fabulous - 2013]
    from Barnes & Noble,
    and in Walmart I picked up a copy of

Christmas: 16 Most Requested Songs - various artists
    [Sony Music Entertainment Inc. - 1992]

Default 16. WARKINGS - Reborn

At first glance of the cover, I was convinced Manowar was coming out with a new album, I wasn't aware of. Only after a short research did I found out, that this is an Internationally assembled band, with few similarities to the aforementioned legends, mainly how they themed their lyrics and anthem like deliverance of somewhat less epic, yet more melodic songs.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 15. DYNAZTY - Firesign

Armed with seamless, modern production and vocals by Nils Molin of Amaranthe fame, Firesign brought Dynazty to the big boys league.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 14. MIYAVI -Samurai Sessions Vol. 3

Recently, I watched Ellen conducting an interview with Ed O'Neill and how little he recognized other celebrities. As the show went on I was laughing with the audience to his ignorance, in a true Al Bundy fashion... Until we came to the last segment, where they showed us a picture of him and a young lady, he had no clue who she was. The audience lost it and I was like: "Who is she?", because they didn't tell me in advance I was just as clueless as he was. Turns out it was Taylor Swift. That just shows you how much I know and follow the music of today. I wouldn't know a single song from the most recent Top 40, if it hit me in the face.

One day I was looking up the news, to find out what some of my favorite Japanese guitarists were doing these days and one name in particular I didn't recognize, came up quite often. It was Miyavi. No wonder I didn't know anything about him. His music is what I imagine kids listen these days, yet his guitar style and technique gives it a different tone from what I was expecting. Just shows that, when you add a tasty guitar to any genre you'll get at least a half decent song out of it. Samuel L. Jackson makes an introduction to Miyavi on the first track of the CD, in all of his foulmouthed glory. Now, I feel up to date... At least when it comes to music.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 13. BLINDMAN - Reach For The Sky

Uh oh. Stop that thief, he stole Ritchie Blackmore's bag of tricks and ran away with it. Listening to bands like Blindman makes me wonder, for how long do we have to suffer through Steve Morse incompetency in Deep Purple? Can't they just hire Tatsuya Nakamura from this band, or any other one of the 101.010 Blackmore scholars, to do the job? No wonder, Reach For The Sky, runs circles around anything Deep Purple did since, The Man In Black, left.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 12. JACKY VINCENT - Life Imitating Art

Rarely have I seen (heard) an artist advance his songwriting skills from one project to another, as I witnessed in this case. Jacky's first solo CD, released by Shrapnel Records, was quite impressive. Life Imitating Art is beyond that. The only reason this CD isn't higher on my list is for the fact, that half of the material here, is Fusion. Not my cup of tea, but Jacky did bring it close to my liking, though.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 11. HOLTER - Vlad The Impaler

Wig Wam's guitarists Epic solo, concept album follows on the heels of his critically acclaimed previous saga about the "bloodsucker"... Except, this time without, Jorn Lande. The female/male vocal duo, Eva Iselinn Erichsen and Nils K. Rue (Pagan's Mind) do a decent job to make Jorn's absence quite painless in the process.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

I picked up these four discs used today:

Skid Row - Skid Row
    Skid Row - Slave To The Grind
    Joe Perry - Joe Perry
    Kiss - Psycho Circus
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post

Armed with seamless, modern production and vocals by Nils Molin of Amaranthe fame, Firesign brought Dynazty to the big boys league.
    I love Dynasty. Yep, gonna watch it tonight!

Default 10. STRIKER - Play To Win

The Canadian Heavy Metal outfit is one of the hardest working bands in the world. They constantly (with amazing pace and quality) release new albums through their own label: "Record Breaking Records". The playing is second to none. The sound is superior to most of self produced CDs I hear nowadays and in par with anything the big companies have to offer. Striker Plays To Win, but also to; please the masses. All in all, I'm surprised for the underwhelming attention they receive, but hey! I'm not the one in need of convincing.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Had them on Spotify, but now I have them on CD as well! Long time coming too for Venice and Malibu. Listening to all three back to back now, halfway into Malibu!

Attachment 75241
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Default 9. LEE AARON - Diamond Baby Blues

Lee Aaron's signature style went through lost of changes over the years. Her humble start at the beginning of the 80's sounded more like the 70's. Then she was a self proclaimed, Metal Queen, a title that came with a controversy and bad image choices. Few albums later it seemed like she settled comfortably in the AOR world of music, but recently she expanded her horizons into Blues/Rock. None of that matters, because the one thing that is important; she did not compromise her passionate delivery of well crafted and executed songs.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 8. MASAKI - Pit-Low 2

The only Instrumental (mostly, with two vocal tracks) CD, that landed on my Top 10 List this year, is a solo CD by CANTA's bass player. It has everything I expect from an Instrumental album.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"