Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Shirt Is Optional Member Attila Kiss's Avatar

Default 7. POWERWOLF - The Sacrament Of Sin

I got the Deluxe Box Set of this album and I never felt more satisfied, with an expensive purchase of a single release. No small thanks to Powerwolf coming up with their best album yet. So far they released 4 (big budget) Music Videos from Sacrament, which is in itself a testament to the strength this project weighs. I was extremely happy with an individually autographed photo by each band member, but if I have to pick a favorite merchandise from the box set, it would be the 80 page, oversized earbook, lavishly illustrated with fantasy art of the highest class, by Zsofia Dankova.
    Last edited by Attila Kiss; 12-24-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Default 6. AMMUNITION - Ammunition

2018 was a very good year for Wig Wam, even though they disbanded in 2014. This album is the product of a collaboration between their singer (Åge Sten Nilsen) and the multi-talented Erik Mårtensson (Eclipse, W.E.T., Nordic Union). (Holter, the Wig Wam's guitarist landed on #11 here, and he also recruited the bass player from the old mates, which only leaves the drummer unaccounted.) The self-titled second album includes the famous "Wrecking Crew" song, that was competing for a chance to represent Norway on 2017 Eurovision Song Contest. It went as far as the national final, but they did not win. Probably, for the best, given how these days Eurovision contest is nothing but lifeless amalgamation of various Idols and X-Factor winners, presenting boring songs, "Wrecking Crew" would have stick out from the bunch like a sore thumb. Truth be told, "Wrecking Crew" stands apart from rest of the material on this CD, as well. All the other songs are firmly rooted in the 70s sound.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 5. GRAILKNIGHTS - Knightfall

It's already the fifth album for these persiflage Metalheads from Germany, but I'm new to their existence. Not every metal act should be dead serious and Grailknights live by that definition. Sporting Superhero costumes puts them in the camp of less prestigious, but music wise they remind me a bit to Queen. No, it's not the obvious references one would expect from the statement. Sir Optimus Prime does not posses the pipes of Freddie Mercury, nor the guitar tone of Count Cranium and Sovereign Storm resembles the magic Brian May churns out on a regular basis. No, it's the vibrant arrangement of their songs and the audacity to list them in Death/Power Metal category, when it's plain to hear, that those labels are as accurate as the ones trying to jam Queen into a Heavy Metal act. The notable vocal guests on Knightfall were; Van Canto, the Heavy Metal A Capella ensemble and Joakim Brodén from Sabaton.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 4. SCHUBERT IN ROCK - Commander Of Pain

Klaus Schubert (No Bros, I have no idea if he is in fact related to the XIXth. century Austrian classical composer, Franz Schubert, but given how Nita Strauss has a confirmed lineage to a similar colossus of yore, that would be so cool), assembled a fantastic list of guests to corporealize, Commander Of Pain. The album is inundated with reviving hallmarks of the 70s, expertly laid down by such 80s alumnus as; Jeff Scott Soto (Malmsteen, Talisman), Doogie White (Rainbow), Michael Vescera (Loudness), Marc Storace (Krokus), Jennifer Batten (Michael Jackson), Don Airey (Deep Purple) plus the current and former Nazareth shouters, Carl Sentence and Dan McCafferty, respectively.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 3. AXXIS - Monster Hero

In 1989, out of the gates, Axxis commanded attention, with music basked in melody, unique voice of Bernhard Weiß and the record braking sales of their first album. The voice never changed and if you ignore Keith Olsen's, mid 90s failed attempt to bring the sound of the band to a misguided standard (Grunge), that was ruling the charts at the time, they never compromised melody in their music. That being said and true to default, you know what to expect here.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 2. NILS PATRIK JOHANSSON - Evil Deluxe

I was sad to learn NPJ was leaving Civil War last year, because that is where I felt his talent was utilized to the max. Plus they were on fire at the time. After listening to Evil Deluxe, I'm quite content. Everything that made the latest Civil War album so great, can be found here, plus we have NJP's son smashing the drums. Is this a new trend among the singers gone solo? I mean, bringing their sons to the supporting cast. Udo Dirkschneider did the exact same thing.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default 1. (tie) EDDA - Dalok A Testnek / Dalok A Leleknek

Edda (Works) is my favorite Hungarian Rock band. They been around for a good while. The newest CD is their 33rd. release, and their catalog is 230 songs strong. The album they released before this one is the only one I skipped buying. While it wasn't bad, I can tell, that it wasn't anything special either. I thought they finally ran out of ideas. Then the news started emerging how the band is releasing their new project without a record company's support and it is going to be a double CD. That made me worried a bit. I don't do well, with double CDs. In retrospect, Edda made all the right decisions. Without the overhead, they could afford to sell the double CD for half the price of a single album, which was a great news, but what about the quality of the songs? First, let me tell you how I rank each song: lowest are the fillers, then good songs I don't mind hearing on the radio and finally the very elite is the ones that I put on my shuffle. In that regard, this album is full of elite songs. One CD wouldn't be enough to house all of them, and all the other songs on this double CD are at very least, good. The double disc decision is absolutely justified. No wonder it's one of the only two albums, that I rated 10/10 this year.

Hence the tie for spot #1. Come back tomorrow to find out which other 2018 release shares this prestigious no-prize award.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Found this gem:

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Default 1. (tie) JARI TIURA - King Of Lions

The only other 10/10 CD I bought in 2018 is the solo album by the Stargazery, MSG and Snakegod singer. It surprised me a lot.

And that's it for my 2018 new CD purchases.
    2019 already looks FANTASTIC! Most of my favorite artists announced a new project and the ones that haven't yet, are known to be working on it. If the samples I heard meet my expectations for the whole album, I'll have more than 10 great CD purchases in the first quarter of the new year, alone. I have a great feeling, that 2019 will be THE BEST year of this millennium, as far as my taste in music goes. Will report back on that, same time, next year.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Default Ak 66387

Various Artists - ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK

Tracklist
    1. The Chambers Brothers - Time Has Come Today
    2. Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
    3. Booker T & The MG's - Time Is Tight
    4. The Byrds - Time Between
    5. The Smithereens - Time And Time Again
    6. The Lovin' Spoonful - Six O'Clock
    7. The Mamas & The Papas - Twelve Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon)
    8. Grand Funk Railroad - Time Machine
    9. Cheap Trick - Clock Strikes Ten
    10. Chuck Berry - Reelin' And Rockin'
    11. Paul Revere & The Raiders - Time Is On My Side
    12. Bill Haley And His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
    Total Time 36':42"
    Last edited by Attila Kiss; 01-05-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Bought a few used CDs today::

The Quintessential Billie Holiday Vol. 1, 1933-1935
    <1987 CBS Inc.>

Jazz Collector Edition - Jimmy Dorsey
    <1991 Delta Music Inc.>

Jazz Collector Edition - Tommy Dorsey (Vol. 1)
    <1991 Delta Music Inc.>

Default Ak 66388

Various Artists - THE BIG HURT... Songs To Cry By

Tracklist
    1. Toni Fisher - Big Hurt
    2. Johnnie Ray - Cry
    3. Don McLean - Crying
    4. The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
    5. Johnny Tillotson - It Keeps Right On A Hurtin'
    6. Timi Yuro - Hurt
    7. Roy Orbison - I'm Hurtin'
    8. Little Anthony & The Imperials - Hurt So Bad
    9. Bobby Vinton - Mr. Lonely
    10. Del Shannon - Runaway
    11. Terry Stafford - Suspicion
    12. J.D. Souther - You're Only Lonely
    Total Time To Cry 33':13"
    links to my books:
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I cooled it on vinyl after dabbling with a few records, but came into some money over Christmas so I spent a bit of it on a few records.

Jimmy Buffet - Volcano LP
    Plumtree - Mass Teen Fainting LP

Two EPs from Rooster Teeth's "RWBY" soundtrack. I hope they release the full soundtracks to the show at some point, these few songs are nice but I would absolutely buy them in full on vinyl.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Bought some more used CDs today::

Jazz Collector Edition - Cotton Club Days -
    Duke Ellington / Cab Calloway / Lena Horne
    <Ⓟ 1989 Delta Music Inc.>

Glenn Miller & The Army Air Force Band
    <Ⓟ 1990 Delta Music Inc.>

Jazz Collector Edition - Les Brown & The Duke Blue Devils
    <1991 Delta Music Inc.>

I picked up the Overkill album The Years of Decay on CD at long last!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.