Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Holy mother these are some great albums I bought this month.

The War on Drugs - Lost In The Dream 10/10
    Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were 10/10
    Emil Landman - Colours And Their Things 8/10

The last one is a Dutch guy whom I just saw an in store gig of. The album was written on a road trip through the USA, from Chicago via Oklahoma to New Orleans. Awesome stuff. Excpecially this album cover since it's one of the 144 hand painted limited editions that together ended up being the cover of the album!

That The War On Drugs album just makes me cry. And the new Ben Howard is hauntingly beautiful.

Last edited by MartinNL; 10-18-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Got an EP from Diggs Duke which sounds pretty good. Also got the new Flying Lotus 2xLP You're Dead! Awesome stuff, but quite annoying I have to flip the records every couple of minutes. The album is only 40 minutes and to put that on two LP's is a little stupid imo.

Flying Lotus - You're Dead! 8/10

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

I got these a week ago. Good stuff all around.
    Not So Quiet In The Western Front Compilation album

Buddy Rich -"Rags to Riches"

Benny Goodman -"Essential"
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

These should be here tomorrow:

"All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Just got these cd's in the mail today:

Circle Jerks -"Golden Shower of Hits"

Hasil Adkins -"What The Hell Was I Thinking?"

Hasil Adkins -"Chicken Walk"
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Extraordinary Member

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence.
    So beautiful I have to rate each song alone:

Cruel World - 6/10. Not really my thing.
    Ultraviolence - 7/10
    Shades Of Cool - 8/10
    Brooklyn Baby - 10/10
    West Coast - 9/10
    Sad Girl - 7/10
    Pretty when you cry - 6/10
    Money Power Glory - 8/10
    ******* my way up to the top - 9/10
    Old Money - 6/10
    The Other Women - 4/10

Undeniably the best album I have ever heard in my life. In particular, I love;
    West Coast, Brooklyn Baby and ******* to the top. Ridiculously superb album.
    What I really like is the dark, yet also glamourised atmosphere of the 20s and 30s she captures in her songs. They all have rich meanings, I'm hooked. Born To Die was 8/10, this entire thing is 10/10 for me (Ok, some songs are meh but still!)

I went on a little binge the other day on Amazon (Lightning deals and sale stuff), and here's what just arrived today:

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

oh, and this:

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Default click on the cover to hear "Mr You're A Better Man Than I"

YARBIRDS - Birdland
    guests: Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, Slash, Steve Vai, Brian May, Steve Lukather, Jeff Baxter, John Rzeznik
    Digi-CD
    Rock
    ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Starting tomorrow, I'll be posting here, day-by-day my Top 11 purchases of 2014 releases. (ending with #1 on Dec. 31st)
    Hope to see others revealing their Top 2014 Albums, whether in segments or in bulk.
    Looking forward to what would You recommend and commemorate.

Default #11 click on the cover to hear "Mob Is Back"

ADRENALINE MOB - Men Of Honor / Covertą
    Digi Book 2 CD
    Heavy Rock
    ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Here is my countdown to the best CD releases throughout 2014.
    With the early promotion of "Come On Get Up" lyrics video, I thought we are in for a treat. However, once I got the CD, I was equally impressed and disappointed. The aforementioned song still stands as one of the best in 2014 and "Mob Is Back" is the most electrifying opener of all the CD's out there, but pretty much this is where the good things end. Now, don't get me wrong, the CD is full of acceptable songs, but none of the rest shines. The band played safe, reminding me of Nickelback. You'll notice the genre I placed them, is not Heavy Metal nor it is Hard Rock, but rather a Heavy Rock aimed to please the masses... And perhaps they did, however all it left me wish for is the Mike Orlando's 3rd solo CD, instead. Due to the disenchantment this album brought, I raised the acceptable rating for CD's to wedge themselves into my collection. It went from 7 out of 10 to 8 out of 10, in order to separate the weed from the crop. For most of the part it worked nicely and hence the lower number of purchases than last year.

Default #10 click on the cover to hear 45 sec. samples

ATSUSHI YOKOZEKI - Jet Destiny
    guest: Kyoji Yamamoto
    CD
    Hard Rock Guitar Instrumentals
    ★★★★★★★☪☆☆

Jet Destiny is the 9th solo CD from this prominent Japanese shredder. Atsushi did it all. He was in a band, created big projects with lots of big names, did fast shredding albums and nearly ambient music. This time around he is focusing on a song played in instrumental mode. The recordings are pretty raw, bringing forward the sound of his guitar.

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post

ADRENALINE MOB - Men Of Honor / Covertą
    Digi Book 2 CD
    Heavy Rock
    ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Here is my countdown to the best CD releases throughout 2014.
    With the early promotion of "Come On Get Up" lyrics video, I thought we are in for a treat. However, once I got the CD, I was equally impressed and disappointed. The aforementioned song still stands as one of the best in 2014 and "Mob Is Back" is the most electrifying opener of all the CD's out there, but pretty much this is where the good things end. Now, don't get me wrong, the CD is full of acceptable songs, but none of the rest shines. The band played safe, reminding me of Nickelback. You'll notice the genre I placed them, is not Heavy Metal nor it is Hard Rock, but rather a Heavy Rock aimed to please the masses... And perhaps they did, however all it left me wish for is the Mike Orlando's 3rd solo CD, instead. Due to the disenchantment this album brought, I raised the acceptable rating for CD's to wedge themselves into my collection. It went from 7 out of 10 to 8 out of 10, in order to separate the weed from the crop. For most of the part it worked nicely and hence the lower number of purchases than last year.
    These guys did a neat cover to Duran Duran's Come Undone
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    These guys did a neat cover to Duran Duran's Come Undone
    True. (Nice to know you heard that)
    And thanks to the 2nd CD in the package "Covertą" (all covers, and most of them done better than AM's original material) my rating was 7/10.
    Without the extra CD, it would have been 5 maybe 6/10.

Default #09 click on the cover to hear "Working For The Weekend"

PAUL GILBERT - Stone Pushing Uphill Man
    Digi CD/DVD
    Rock Guitar Instrumentals
    ★★★★★★★★☆☆

Another Guitar Instrumental CD. This one has cover songs mostly, played by the Racer-X, Mr. Big member. This is the kind of instrumental versions I prefer over the Karaoke thing, artists often put out these days. I highly recommend getting the version that has the DVD as a bonus disc, where Mr. Gilbert explains the challenges he faced during the recording, with some of the strange song selections he made. E.g. replicating the keyboard sound that can increase the volume of the tone as opposed to the sound a guitar produces, naturally diminishing once the string is plucked. His instructions offer helpful tips to those who play guitar and want to recreate his renditions, faithfully. The CD also has three originals that compliment the whole feel of the Album, of which one (the title track) is sung by Paul himself. Some of the artists he covered are: James Brown (the horn section played on guitar is quite amazing) Aerosmith, k.d. lang, Elton John, Police, Eric Carmen, Beatles and more. The drummer duties were filled by two veterans: Mike Portnoy / Kenny Aronoff who need no introductions.

Default #08 click on the cover to hear the title track

NOZOMU WAKAI'S DESTINIA - Requiem For A Scream
    guest: Rob Rock
    CD
    Melodic Metal
    ★★★★★★★★☆☆

Nozomu Wakai's first solo CD. Off the bat, I'm impressed. Looking at the cover and taking the "Bands" name as well the title of the CD into consideration, one would rightfully assume Nozomu is another Malmsteen clone. One would be wrong. None of the songs have Neoclassical feel to them and all the solos tend to blend in with the songs melodic structure, never gyrating into technical rampage. The highlight of the album is Rob Rock's (Impellitteri, Driver, Warrior etc.) vocal performance. His added melodic infusion elevates all 3 songs he took under his wing. Yukio Morikawa (Anthem) is the second vocalist involved in the project, while the rhythm section was concoct from such greats as Satoshi Miyawaki (44 Magnum) and Koichi Terasawa (Sly). The CD is tactically broken in half by a beautiful instrumental (the only one on the CD) "Dearest Pain". Definitely, an artist and CD worth of your attention.
    Last edited by Attila Kiss; 12-24-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo