Spectacular Member angelusdelioncourt's Avatar

Question "The Mountain" Gregor Clegane VS Robert Baratheon (298 AL)

Gregor with his armor and greatsword. Robert with his armor and hammer but is already 17 years out of shape since this fight will happen on 298 AL.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by angelusdelioncourt View Post
    Gregor with his armor and greatsword. Robert with his armor and hammer but is already 17 years out of shape since this fight will happen on 298 AL.
    In his prime Robert takes this...by all accounts the guy was nearly unstoppable. 17 years out of shape? The Mountain cleaves him in half inside a minute, possibly within 30 seconds.

Fantastic Member

Robert in his prime could win (but not definitely - he's incredibly strong but going up against the Mountain takes more than JUST strength. It could go either way.) But Robert whose in anything other than top shape loses easily.

Astonishing Member

Given that they're both wearing armor, and Robert uses a hammer, I'm leaning towards him.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Given that they're both wearing armor, and Robert uses a hammer, I'm leaning towards him.
    One issue bout that is this Robert as per the OP is probably rusty and is not the physical beast of a warrior he was in his youth compared to Gregor. However, in his youth...Yeah, I'm leaning towards Robert since that hammer makes armor a tad bit of a moot point (as Rhaegar's caved in chest can attest to).

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

In his youth,Robert with ease.The guy was a scary warrior.But King Robert,after years of idle life would love to Gregor.But i can see Robert giving a good fight before falling.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    In his youth,Robert with ease.The guy was a scary warrior.But King Robert,after years of idle life would love to Gregor.But i can see Robert giving a good fight before falling.
    That's a mental image I didn't need in my life.

Mighty Member

Normally I would agree that Robert's weapon would give him an advantage over a sword. However, Gregor is not using an arming sword or something, he is using a greatsword. That gives him a tremendous reach advantage. His weaker brother can chop right through armor with his smaller and lighter weapon as well, so I don't see Robert's armor holding up against the Mountain's sword. Gregor's weakness is against faster, more skilled opponents like Martell (who was also not at a reach disadvantage because of his spear). A fighter like Robert is right in the Mountain's wheelhouse.