Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC Comics Incoming "Mystik U" Lands In October

Alisa Kwitney and artist Mauricet's take on the young magic users of the DC Universe will hit stores in time for Halloween with familiar faces in tow.

Full article here.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Nononononono.No. Do not go around using Sandman characters. Its just wrong.
    Cyclops was right

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    As long as they stick with Cain and Abel and don't venture beyond that it should be ok. Just don't touch any of the Endless.

Well... that was... short.
    They only asked one question pertaining to her upcoming work.

And... I got excited when I saw Mauricet and read Moritat instead.
    Sigh.

Characters I hope to see:
    Tim Hunter, Klarion, Traci Thirteen, Yellow Peri, Amethyst and Zachary Zatara.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    As long as they stick with Cain and Abel and don't venture beyond that it should be ok. Just don't touch any of the Endless.
    Cain and Abel were around long before Sandman and are pretty much a perfect cast for this kind of thing, but yeah, the Endless should be left.
    Last edited by HellHere; 05-18-2015 at 11:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HellHere View Post
    Cain and Abel were around long before Sandman, but yeah, the Endless should be left in Sandman.
    Destiny also predates the Endless, FWIW.

Incredible Member

Ok, he can come too

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I'm okay with it. Alisa and Neil Gaiman are longtime friends, and she's edited Sandman and worked on other books with him. If there's anyone Neil's going to give his blessing to, it's Alisa Kwitney.

Isn't Cain the king of vampires in current continuity, so how are they going to get around that? Also the Houses of Mystery and Secrets having had their conscious embodiments shown already too, being different to Cain and Abel.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh
    Isn't Cain the king of vampires in current continuity, so how are they going to get around that? Also the Houses of Mystery and Secrets having had their conscious embodiments shown already too, being different to Cain and Abel.
    Beginning in June: looser continuity.
    So it's okay.

As long as it doesn't tie in to any other books, they can do whatever they want.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    It's been heavily hinted for a long time- and I think confirmed in Sandman- that the old Cain and Abel from the Houses were actually more like symbolic, living metaphors than actual flesh and blood creatures. So it can easily be worked that there are various levels of Cain and Abels- Vandal Savage as a metaphorical, the vampire as a literal and the House as a spiritual, etc.- if they really wanted too. I don't think they will though.

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    They're symbolic versions of Cain and Abel, not the real deal, which may not have even happened as far as the DCU. Much like Eve isn't necessarily the Eve from the Bible, but a symbolic impression of her. There's a reason they live in The Dreaming.

EDIT: Coke to Jody.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'm okay with it. Alisa and Neil Gaiman are longtime friends, and she's edited Sandman and worked on other books with him. If there's anyone Neil's going to give his blessing to, it's Alisa Kwitney.
    lol..and a few others. Daniel would not have appeared in the Justice League book without his ok. And Death would not have met Lex in Action Comics without his approval.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    lol..and a few others. Daniel would not have appeared in the Justice League book without his ok. And Death would not have met Lex in Action Comics without his approval.
    Yeah, Neil is generally pretty generous with his blessing as long as the idea is interesting. Plus, he knows Paul Cornell from working on Dr Who, and he's known Grant since the late '80s. Technically, DC doesn't have to seek out Neil's permission to use any of the characters he's created, but they've pretty much abided by the so-called "handshake deal" since the early '90s. Alisa, as I mentioned above, has been a close friend and an occasional collaborator of Neil's for two decades, so he's always going to give her his blessing. In fact, if there's someone who is really going to respect his vision yet still achieve their own like, say, Mike Carey did with Lucifer, Alisa's a pretty good bet. That's not to say that Mystik U is a sure thing as far as quality, but that it's going to at least be an interesting book.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 05-18-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Considering Alisa edited so much of Gaiman's DC work, I've never seen her do a bad story, and that to date, I've preferred other people on the Sandman characters more than I have Gaiman, I'm really not seeing reason to worry.

Cain, Abel, Destiny... it's not like Gaiman spun these out himself, pure and original. Not even in the DCU.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)